Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gandalf

Advice on Uninstalling FSX

Hi All

Is there a "correct" way of uninstalling FSX? After numerous problems I've decided to bite the bullet and do a complete re-install.

There seems plenty of advice on installing but I couldn't find anything on uninstalling.

Any advice, as always, gratefully received ^_^

Many Thanks

Alan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well, I can provide some advice since I just did this exact thing last week.  Uninstall all your addons first that have installers.  I know the new PMDG 777 has a way to deactivate your key or something internally, so make sure to do that too if you happen to have it (I don't so I can't give you all the details, I just remember reading about it).  Once you've uninstalled all airplanes/scenery/etc. that have installers, then uninstall FSX from the control panel "programs & features" applet.  Refresh it to make sure it doesn't still show.  I don't remember if I had just one uninstall or Acceleration and then the base FSX.  Same thing would apply if you were running the base FSX with SP1 and SP2 installed instead.  Once FSX no longer has an entry, delete any remains of the install folders.  Also, this is a good reference......... http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Oh, BTW if you run REX, you don't need to uninstall it.  Just point it to the new FSX install location when you're done and run another backup of your default textures.  I confirmed with them that this was OK and it did work fine for me when I went through the process last week.

Oh, BTW if you run REX, you don't need to uninstall it.  Just point it to the new FSX install location when you're done and run another backup of your default textures.  I confirmed with them that this was OK and it did work fine for me when I went through the process last week.

Thanks for that tip!.... I did not know that

Thanks Charles, just the advice I was looking for!! :drinks:

Regards

Alan

I've yet to come across the need to re-install. Fsx is pretty simple with it's file structure and errors are mostly fixable. Also, it's good to have a vanilla backup laying in another drive.

Sir,

If you can stand a Windows re-install, then that's my recommendation.  If not, then you can find instructions on the PMDG site.

Also, I have a custom set of instructions that the guys in my group run.  It's a Step by Step guide and a much cleaner uninstall for those with a lot of addons. That said, it's not THAT much different than what PMDG has published (but there are a few differences due to the addons).

PM me your email if you'd like it.

Oh, good advice on REX.

Dave