Sign in to follow this  
Rlambert93

Oceanic waypoints

This is going to be my route KBOS-EGLL: CELTK3 CELTK BRADD COLOR RONPO 47/50 49/40 50/30 52/20 LIMRI XETBO LIFFY UL975 WAL UY53 NUGRA but not sure how to enter this bit into the fmc 47/50 49/40 50/30 52/20 can anyone help hoping to leave in about 45 mins

Many thanks

Rob

4750N 4940N 5030N 5220N

The entries stated above are all fixes in the North Atlantic. For actual waypoints based on coordinates you need to use the LEGS page. They will not work in the RTE page.

For example, it you wanted to enter the coordinates N 45° W 50°, you would have to enter N45W050 into the LEGS page. The general format for this being NddWddd.

With a more precise set of coordinates such as N 55° 30' W 100° 30', you need to enter N5530W10030. Here, the general format is NddmmWdddmm, again, ensuring this is entered into the LEGS page.

Hopefully that clarifies a few things for you.

Regards.

P. S.

d = degrees of latitude/longitude

m = minutes of latitude/longitude

The entries stated above are all fixes in the North Atlantic. For actual waypoints based on coordinates you need to use the LEGS page. They will not work in the RTE page.

Yes, but as he was flying today's NAT V those were the fixes included in that route and that's the easiest way to enter them. :)

You can enter lat/long waypoints in the RTE page (you don't have to enter them in the LEGS page).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Palmer

KJAC

Yes, but as he was flying today's NAT V those were the fixes included in that route and that's the easiest way to enter them. :)

Fair enough, didn't notice it was a NAT. :lol:

For example, it you wanted to enter the coordinates N 45° W 50°, you would have to enter N45W050 into the LEGS page. The general format for this being NddWddd.

If you want to enter a waypoint at N45 W050 there is absolutely no reason why you should not use 4550N.

ki9cAAb.jpg

If you want to enter a waypoint at N45 W050 there is absolutely no reason why you should not use 4550N.

Agreed, but these fixes don't always exist everywhere (polar flights, for example). So for the benefit of the OP, I showed him this way of doing it so he can input any latitude/longitude combination as necessary. 

There's nothing wrong with using fixes such as 4550N, it's just that it doesn't always work everywhere.

Agreed, but these fixes don't always exist everywhere (polar flights, for example). So for the benefit of the OP, I showed him this way of doing it so he can input any latitude/longitude combination as necessary. 

There's nothing wrong with using fixes such as 4550N, it's just that it doesn't always work everywhere.

In fact in the AIRAC database every whole degree combination possible is covered by these coded fixes. From 89S to 89N and from 180W to 180E. They don't just appear on oceanic tracks.

ki9cAAb.jpg

There's nothing wrong with using fixes such as 4550N, it's just that it doesn't always work everywhere

4550N is always at 45N050W

just like 45N50 is always at 45N150W and 4550W is always at 45S050W

Picture:

yujx.jpg

4550N is a 5 letter waypoint which is located at N45°00.0',W050°00.0'

In the same way, RONPO is a 5 letter waypoint located at N46°52.3',W051°00.0'

It just happens that 4550N has numbers in it's waypoint designator name, and RONPO only has letters.

Also RONPO gets named right all the time, and 4550N has 20 names, some of which make more sense than others. This is because the NAT is designated via actual co-ordinates, ie 45N050W N45W050 45°0'0"N 50°0'0"W 45/50 N4500.0W05000.0 and various other things.

All of these things discribe a location which is at 45°00.0N 050°00.0W

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?safe=off&q=45.00000,-50.00000&ie=UTF-8&ei=_j1bUrmcAavuiAe4rYD4Bg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

There happens to be an AIRAC waypoint located there called 4550N.

I was wrong, then. I did not know that, this should make my route planning a lot easier now. :lol:

Learn something new every day, eh?

Regards.

Thanks, Trent. I was looking for something like this. My long-haul routes were always over the N Atlantic, so everything was "5040N, 5140N, 5130N", etc. I always got confused when it was another part of the world, and when to place that N/S/E/W designator within the coordinates.

I also finally figured out why higher, 3-digit  longitudes (eg 140) cause the coordinates to change from one format (5040N) to 50N40. It's because, as you explained, those coordinates are somewhat like any other 5-letter fix.

Great explanation!!  Many thanks.

Many thanks guys your help is really appreciated and great that so msny people answer and help people out.

Rob

Just to tack on a little more info:

Tip:
The full lat/lon format is right on the PERF INIT page.

Full - S3200.0E13200.0
Short - S32E132
Short 2 - 32S32

Short 2 is really weird, and to be honest, remembering its quirks isn't worth saving the 2 extra keystrokes from the other Short form.  It uses N for north latitude, west longitude.  E for north latitude, east longitude.  S for south latitude, east longitude.  W for south latitude, west longitude.  The position of the letter in the group designates if the first digit of the longitude is a 0 or a 1.  The letter will be at the end if the longitude is less than 100, and will be the third character if the longitude is 100 or greater.

FCOMv2 11.31.13.

As always, I stress that FCOMv2 11.31.13 be consulted for the most direct, precise information on how the system handles lat/lon and various short forms.

Kyle Rodgers

For example, it you wanted to enter the coordinates N 45° W 50°, you would have to enter N45W050 into the LEGS page. The general format for this being NddWddd.

With a more precise set of coordinates such as N 55° 30' W 100° 30', you need to enter N5530W10030. Here, the general format is NddmmWdddmm, again, ensuring this is entered into the LEGS page.

I've tried using the above format but cannot get it to work. I've entered N5030W01500 into the Legs page and also tried directly in the Route page but no joy, just get "invalid entry". I can insert easier coordinates like 5015N no problem but the coordinates with minutes I'm struggling!

Any thoughts??