Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

Help in optimizing the zoom

This is why HUDs are here for....on Head Up Displays symbols and figures are focused at infinity so you can clearly superimpose them to the rest of the external view and maintain everything focused :-)....but having them implemented on all sim aircrafts would be highly unrealistic too....

I hope someone can design a Track IR style device that can work better than Track IR. I like the idea of Track IR but as far as I am concerned I have never managed to make it work decently, so I have given up with it..!

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

Totally agree....having all instruments and runway in sight and focused at the same time is highly unrealistic for the simple fact that in real life you can't focus simultaneously objects positioned at different distances from your eyes...actually in real life you continuously scan between instruments and external view, and you also use peripheral vision, which is obviously impossible to achieve on a sim, so you have to find the right trade off.

Regards

Yes but the point is that in real life you CAN scan around and look/focus from outside to inside and in FSX you can not.

Not unless you use track IR or use moltimonitor or 2D panels.

And I dont like trackIR much...well....I can see using it to move around just a little bit....but I realy hate the VC flying by from left to right as I move my head.

I personally am getting tired of people telling me what is realistic and what is not.

We are sitting in our little rooms pretending to fly an aircraft....so the whole thing is unrealistic anyway.

If I like a certain setup then I like a certain setup. Whether or not this is realistic should not matter to anyone else at all.

Like you said "you have to find the right trade off" and for me that means I will live with both the outside and inside being in focus at the same time.

This does not bother me at all!

If anything, the zoom at 0.7 is the most unrealistic version of all options because:

1) Instruments become to small to read (for me anyway)

2) everything is cropped and so it becomes impossible to judge height over distance or speed (distance over time).

EDIT 3): more geometrical distortion as you zoom out (I hate those long buttons!)

But again, if you like it that way...fine....it is your sim....you can do as you please.

But I dont like it one bit :-(

That 0.7 zoom is unrealistic is well explained in the video link provided to us on page 1 of this thread, but here it is again:

This video is very good at explaining the views: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjbCFNSofpk.

Also, I fly with wideviewaspect=1 and a zoom of 1.0 (explained in the video), and I move my eyepoint backwards which allows me to see all the necessary displays (PFD, ND, EICAS) but doesn't cause distortion.

Ok I looked at the video. Good video and have seen it before but I every time I watch it I learn something new.

He explains that the long buttons or even the long scenery visible through side windows is not streching but geometrical distortion!

And that this is normal when you try to project a 3D environment on a 2D surface.

And that it becomes worse when you zoom out more.

(zoom 100% is best)

So that kind of kills me theory of streching due to insufficient pixels with Nvidia GPUs!

The same guy made a part 2 and 3 as well and I recommend watching it to everybody!

Part 3 exactly shows what I was asking about yesterday.

What would 3x1080x1920 look like? (3 monitors side by side, but the monitors rotated by 90 degrees so you get a high view rather than a wide one).

I think that looks fantastic (3rd video).

With the monitors rotated by 90 degrees you can see both the outside through the windscreen as well as the flight instruments below the windscreen.

AND important for me.....at zoom 100% that is :-) :-)

The total of three monitors creates a view that is wide enough I think.

Looks like I have a new project :-)

Rob Robson

I personally am getting tired of people telling me what is realistic and what is not.

If anything, the zoom at 0.7 is the most unrealistic version of all options because

Rule number one of a good debate.  Never contradict yourself, or fall victim to your own accusatory stance.

(I'm just giving you a hard time :wink: , though I did find it rather odd that you'd say you're tired of people telling you things are unrealistic and then you turned right back around and told everyone else that many of them are unrealistic in their practices)

In any case, as I always say:

100% is the only "most realistic" zoom level.  The video I've posted a bunch in this forum explains why.  There is no real good way to simulate the peripheral vision, short of a full cockpit mockup wherever you keep your sim.  Users have to find a good balance of how much distortion they want to introduce to get so much of a field of view.  I have stated my own opinion as to why the huge field of view many want is rather unnecessary.

Kyle Rodgers

Rule number one of a good debate.  Never contradict yourself, or fall victim to your own accusatory stance.

(I'm just giving you a hard time :wink: , though I did find it rather odd that you'd say you're tired of people telling you things are unrealistic and then you turned right back around and told everyone else that many of them are unrealistic in their practices)

Yeah I guess you are right....just wanted to make a point that if someone tells me my method is unrealistic, I can turn that right back around as a lot of things in FSX are unrealistic.

I really think for this debate unrealistic is not important.

More important is that if some is looking to solve a problem, that he gets assistance to achieve what he would like FSX to look like rather than being told it is unrealistic.

Rob Robson

More important is that if some is looking to solve a problem, that he gets assistance to achieve what he would like FSX to look like rather than being told it is unrealistic.

Yep.  That's exactly why I directed the discussion more at personal processes rather than personal preferences.  Some of the things that people tell me are necessary to see are a little over the top, and if they just didn't concentrate on them (like being able to see the whole cockpit), it would make the zoom issue a lot less extreme, though realism would still be subjective.

It's definitely personal preference, but I think a lot of it can be chalked up to people believing that way too much information, constantly available, is realistic when it really isn't.  Granted, it's true that quick glances are a lot easier in the real plane, but that's just part of this being the sim and not the real thing.  Honestly, despite the objections of others, I find your solution simple and effective, though probably not the most elegant or "realistic-looking."

Kyle Rodgers

As to that pixely/grainy quality of the TV....that is actually a thing I dont see inside the VC but something I see outside! It almost seems as if AA or some setting like that does not work on the TV like it does on a monitor.

Or is this effect too just because the pixels are larger on the TV?

Quoting myself here haha.

I took a closer look at why my TV looks a bit more grainy than my monitor.

So I used full screen windowed mode on the TV first and then dragged the window to a 24" monitor to compare.

This grainy stuff is actually shimmering!

You can see it on the monitor as well, but you have to get real close and look carefully.

On the TV everything is bigger and I guess that means flaws are more noticable as well.

It does not bother me much, but might be something to think of before buying a 55" TV!

Rob Robson

I started this topic long ago, I optimized my view settings to 70% to 80%.  I can get the full instrument panels and the full wind screen in view at the same time, but to do this I need to sit way back.  Behind the pilot's left seat.  So now the dam back of the seat is in the way, so I shift over way right.  I get the view like I'm sitting directly behind the throttles.  Now the center wind shield bar is in the way.  But I actually like this view the best.

So here's the final questions on this topic from me:

1.  Can you remove the center windshield bar ( I think the PMDG 747 had this option)

2.  Or can I remove the seats from view (without power tools - I mean)

I think 1 is possible but not 2.

Otherwise, I'm loving the 777-300 and -200.

Paul Gugliotta

I have my zoom set at 1.0.i see only the runway along with EFIS bar.i set my trackir speed to 16.so if I need to look inside I just look a bit down and I see my PFD and other instruments.if u set the trackir speed to low speeds then you have to Tiltdown a lot.

IDK.

Lately I have been using WideView=False and a zoom between .40 and .50. Looks WAY better IMO, but that is just me. I don't have a huge monitor, just a 27" so I feel the sense of speed and what I can see at any given point makes my life good.

Again, mileage may vary....

I started this topic long ago, I optimized my view settings to 70% to 80%.  I can get the full instrument panels and the full wind screen in view at the same time, but to do this I need to sit way back.  Behind the pilot's left seat.  So now the dam back of the seat is in the way, so I shift over way right.  I get the view like I'm sitting directly behind the throttles.  Now the center wind shield bar is in the way.  But I actually like this view the best.

So here's the final questions on this topic from me:

1.  Can you remove the center windshield bar ( I think the PMDG 747 had this option)

2.  Or can I remove the seats from view (without power tools - I mean)

I think 1 is possible but not 2.

Otherwise, I'm loving the 777-300 and -200.

You wanna hear something funny....?

I had to delete my FSX.CFG yesterday and when I started up the first flight with the PMDG777 I had not put ANY lines into that file.

So WIDEVIEWASPECT was still at default "FALSE".

I use a 46" 1920x1080 TV for the VC and two more 24" monitors for the popup 2D PFD/ND/EICAS/FMC.

You should try Wideviewaspect=false, just for the heck of it......I kinda liked it (but I have only tried once so I might change my mind again).

you need to zoom out quite a bit (otherwise you see only a very small part of the cockpit) but once you zoom out, to me it seems you then see more of the VC as with WIDEVIEWASPECT=TRUE.

Rob Robson

I have all this on the PMDG777 because PMDG was kind enough to provide us with 2D pop panels.
Those pop up panels are allways visible on my two 24" monitors.
Above and about 1meter (3 feet) behind those 2x24" monitors, I have a 46" TV at zoom level 100% on short final (but 70% during cruise) so all I see on this TV is a huge windscreen (left or right) with a runway in it :-)

I would love to see a pic of your set up if you have a moment. I am working on a powerful rig with an ASUS monitor that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Been debating about whether / how to add a monitor or two but wasn't sure as to the best plan of attack.

Does anyone know how to set the default eyepoint at startup?  I adjusted the camera.cfg file so the default zoom starts at .6 where I want it but every flight i'm moving the eyepoint back,up and slightly right for my personal preference (I like seeing all three displays when flying). I tried to adjust his in the PMDG folder (camera.cfg) but that was a big no no (no VC after changing this file.)?  Thanks for the help.

PS. I tried EZDOK but I think it hurts performance on my machine.

(I like seeing all three displays when flying)

I know it sounds silly, but If you set wideviewaspect=false in the FSX.cfg on a 1920x1080 monitor and zoom out a bit you can see exactly that.

I do not know what the effect of that on the outside world is but I see nothing strange.

I only tried it on two flights now though.

And you do not need to edit any camera.cfg files that way either :-)

Just give it a shot, cant hurt anything.

EDIT: or, can you not just move your eyepoint back and fwd with Ctrl+Enter and Ctrl+Backspace?

I would love to see a pic of your set up if you have a moment. I am working on a powerful rig with an ASUS monitor that I have thoroughly enjoyed. Been debating about whether / how to add a monitor or two but wasn't sure as to the best plan of attack.

I like my setup very much but keep in mind it only works wonders for aircraft with 2D popup panels like PMDG provides.

Aircraft that do not have any 2D panels or popups I can not use as I would have to open up 3 FSX windows which would cripple performance.

I have choosen for my setup because I do not like the 2D surround gaming look.

I can not post any pics at AVSIM anymore.......it worked in the past but they must have changed something.....neither from my iPad nor from my PC, sorry.

Rob Robson

I do not know what the effect of that on the outside world is but I see nothing strange.
I only tried it on two flights now though.

Lower zoom levels also stretch the runway, which can really throw you off on visuals.

...but I'd imagine the people who truly want to see the whole flight deck on one screen are also the ones who routinely autoland everything, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Here's to hoping they don't ever get in a real plane...

Kyle Rodgers

EDIT: or, can you not just move your eyepoint back and fwd with Ctrl+Enter and Ctrl+Backspace?

777simmr -

Thanks for the recommendations.  I can move my eyepoint but I was wondering if there is a way to set a default eyepoint so it loads to that when i start fsx? 

...but I'd imagine the people who truly want to see the whole flight deck on one screen are also the ones who routinely autoland everything, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Are there people who actually fly like this? I.E sitting in the observer seat?