Sign in to follow this  
daniel douville

newbie to x-plane level flight issues

Hi everyone!

Im a veteran FSX user that just made the switch over to x-plane. i had a very easy install and upgrade, all my saitek controls, yoke,pedals, and trim wheel all connected just fine, however the problems started after i attempted to lift off the cessna 172 during a trial flight. The aircraft simply rolls left and wont stop rolling despite attempting to trim out the roll or even hold the yoke full right and pedals full right. 

I slid all of the sliders in joystick setup to the right, i calibrated all of the controls, i read about normal flight drift and control,( i have 6 hours in the 172), i recalibrated the controls,i set a null zone to help out, i tried numerous aircraft to no avail.

after doing this all, i realized that i didnt have disc 1 in the DVD drive and i havent had a chance to try it with the disc in,(im at work),, would this help with this particular problem?

I also installed x plane on my work laptop and i only use the mouse to fly it at work when i can, and there is no dramatic roll issue at all,, i havent updated my laptop version of x-plane at work, so i thought maybe its working well because i havent updated to the current version?? this seems illogical,, 

at any rate, is there any advice or tutorial i can get that will help me fly smoothly? again i understand natural drift and roll but this is WAY beyond what would be considered normal effects,,

Im really excited to be flying x-plane, FSX has served me well,, but im ready to move on!!

thanks a ton

daniel

Hi daniel,

For a start, leave the other 3 sliders on the right side of the "Settings" / "Joystick & Equipment" / "Nullzone" menu all the way left as I believe they are by default. This will leave the controls at "full" linear travel. What you did to the sliders on the left side ( setting them full right ) was correct for getting full default artificial stability, but you can also try to set them all at 20%.

Next, start Plane-Maker, and under Expert / Artificial Stability, set the following:

Ok, let us know about your experiments ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Daniel,

Short answer...you need the dvd1 in the drive or you will enter demo mode. After a few minutes, controls freeze.

The aircraft simply rolls left and wont stop rolling despite attempting to trim out the roll or even hold the yoke full right and pedals full right. 

There's evidently either a calibration problem with the joystick, or a trim problem. Go to an external view and do a visual check of the flight surfaces (ailerons, rudder, elevator). Do they correctly move when you move the joystick?

Also, go to the X-Plane "joystick and equipment" settings, axis assignment screen, and check if the 3 axes move when you move the joystick.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Wow! this forum rules!! ive never experienced such support with FSX, thanks so much,, ill be happily experimenting tonight after the kids soccer practice:)

thanks a ton folks,,

I also use the Saitek yoke and throttle quadrants (2 sets), but use CH Products pedals.  The only time I had the symptoms you describe was when I needed to reverse the settings.  I agree that viewing the aircraft from the outside will allow you to see if that is the problem.  If so, just go into settings/joystick and check the reverse box.  You can calibrate within the same settings area, but the problems you are experiencing seem to go beyond calibration.

Good luck,

John

Oh, by the way, welcome to x-plane Daniel!

John Wingold