Sign in to follow this  
qasim_786

Nvidia Gsync - too good to be true?

There are a few key points many of you are missing here.

While the 1/2 refresh rate tweak gives a smooth experience locked at 30fps, it's NOT the same as G-Sync at 30fps.

The reason is input lag. V-Sync always introduce a lot of input lag and at 1/2 rate it's even worse.

It's especially noticeable when using TrackIR.

With G-Sync you'll always have V-Sync OFF and the monitor will sync every frame dynamically with the GPU.

That means everything from 30 up to the monitors max refresh rate will be completely stutter free, have no tearing and no input lag.

The reason for not going below 30hz is that the monitor would appear to start flickering the lower you go.

You will for sure notice a difference with G-Sync at say 30-40fps and 100fps but the lower fps will result in ghosting instead of stutter/tearing.

To get an idea about the input lag, especially if you're a TrackIR user, turn off V-sync and set your fps lock to unlimited. Never mind the stutter and tearing but focus on the input lag when looking around. It's very responsive, right?

So with G-Sync you will be setting unlimited fps, v-sync off and have a smooth responsive experience without stutter and tearing as long as you stay above 30fps.

Absolutely the same for me. I see high frame rate and no stuttering at all. Except perhaps one single stutter when FSX ATC opens it's mouth. and that's at unlimited frame rate in FSX, and no external limiter. I guess I'm lucky. I don't go in for hyper detailed add-n airports which probably has something to do with it.

Hi Martin!

I am shocked at the great performance despite being against conventional wisdom. I am using HT enabled now w/ AM=4089, 1/2 vsync PLUS Inspector's external limiter (everyone seems to think this is a choke on texture loading, using the external limiter), however w/ FFTF=.60. My sense is the w/ FFTF at .60 and HT enabled I have great texture loading despite having frames internally set at UNLIMITED. In fact it's better than w/ internal frames locked at FFTF at .20 or so. Anyway, seems like a great combination for the hexacore box. I will try bringing down FFTF until there is some evidence texture loading is adversely affected and see.

With LOD to 5.5, clouds out to 90m, autogen at dense & other sliders hard right, FTXG 3D lights ablazing coming into FlightBeam's KSFO last night in the lovely T7--locked at 30 frames right up till touchdown, then never went below 25 all the way to the gate and very smooth.

You aren't lucky you just have dialed in what matters to you while respecting the fact it's possible to dial in stutters and poor performance if you really want to!

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

There are a few key points many of you are missing here.

While the 1/2 refresh rate tweak gives a smooth experience locked at 30fps, it's NOT the same as G-Sync at 30fps.

The reason is input lag. V-Sync always introduce a lot of input lag and at 1/2 rate it's even worse.

It's especially noticeable when using TrackIR.

With G-Sync you'll always have V-Sync OFF and the monitor will sync every frame dynamically with the GPU.

That means everything from 30 up to the monitors max refresh rate will be completely stutter free, have no tearing and no input lag.

The reason for not going below 30hz is that the monitor would appear to start flickering the lower you go.

You will for sure notice a difference with G-Sync at say 30-40fps and 100fps but the lower fps will result in ghosting instead of stutter/tearing.

To get an idea about the input lag, especially if you're a TrackIR user, turn off V-sync and set your fps lock to unlimited. Never mind the stutter and tearing but focus on the input lag when looking around. It's very responsive, right?

So with G-Sync you will be setting unlimited fps, v-sync off and have a smooth responsive experience without stutter and tearing as long as you stay above 30fps.

Exactly. I think its just a matter of letting the tech do the talking when it is released. Some people are totally missing the "dynamic" point of gsync.

With LOD to 5.5, clouds out to 90m, autogen at dense & other sliders hard right, FTXG 3D lights ablazing coming into FlightBeam's KSFO last night in the lovely T7--locked at 30 frames right up till touchdown, then never went below 25 all the way to the gate and very smooth.

You aren't lucky you just have dialed in what matters to you while respecting the fact it's possible to dial in stutters and poor performance if you really want to!

To me 30fps cannot be regarded as smooth as it is not in sync with tbe refresh rate. Surely you ses a diff when you play something at 60fps? The only way 30fps can be smooth is if your monitor is 30htz.

I think a lot of this depends on peoples experience. When I was gaming on 30fps on ps3 I would think it was smooth. But when switching to 60fps on pc I could not go back to 30fps again.

I still think you should try gsync. If you lock at 30fps your refresh rate will too and you will have such a better smoother experience.

If you lock at 30fps your refresh rate will too and you will have such a better smoother experience.

Well, with Gsync you'll want to not lock to anything. You'll want to have your game screaming and delivering as many frames as possible all the time.

Well, with Gsync you'll want to not lock to anything. You'll want to have your game screaming and delivering as many frames as possible all the time.

Totally agree. I was just trying to make the point that 30fps in sync with refresh rate is completly different to the current locked at 30fps experience.

Hi Martin!

Precisely! :smile:

I totally disagree. Video cards have always been targeted towards hardcore pc gamers.

No, the "flagship" of each video card generation is targeted at hard core gamers. The big money is in the video cards that come preinstalled on most consumer systems, just because of the sheer number of units sold. As the PC market continues to disappear, a company like nVidia will eventually struggle unless it enters other markets. As you know, they have built a console-like unit  (nVidia Shield) that runs Android and can also access your PC games, so it's not like nVidia isn't doing just that.

No, the "flagship" of each video card generation is targeted at hard core gamers. The big money is in the video cards that come preinstalled on most consumer systems, just because of the sheer number of units sold. As the PC market continues to disappear, a company like nVidia will eventually struggle unless it enters other markets. As you know, they have built a console-like unit (nVidia Shield) that runs Android and can also access your PC games, so it's not like nVidia isn't doing just that.

Totally agree. When I said graphics cards I was referring to stand alone cards sold.

To me 30fps cannot be regarded as smooth as it is not in sync with tbe refresh rate.

Oh it's totally smooth, albeit perfectly so when frames are at 30 aand as frames drop below 30 the is progressively less perfection in smoothness the lower frames go, but even at the 25 it very smooth, though as I say not perfect as it is at 30. I, like many others now, use the 1/2 refresh rate vsync w/ a 60Hz monitor.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Oh it's totally smooth, albeit perfectly so when frames are at 30 aand as frames drop below 30 the is progressively less perfection in smoothness the lower frames go, but even at the 25 it very smooth, though as I say not perfect as it is at 30. I, like many others now, use the 1/2 refresh rate vsync w/ a 60Hz monitor.

Do you mean adaptive vsync? Whats half refresh rate vsync? I will give it a go. Do you just set your monitor at 30htz. How?

No he doesn't mean adaptive vsync. I got the impression you (qasim_786) understood the 1/2 rate tweak already, but apparently not.

On a 60hz monitor, selecting 1/2 refresh rate vsync in Inspector effectively makes your monitor update every 1/30 of a second (30hz).

What gsync will do however is sync EVERY single frame to exactly how long it took to render that frame, so your monitor will be switching continually.

No he doesn't mean adaptive vsync. I got the impression you (qasim_786) understood the 1/2 rate tweak already, but apparently not.

On a 60hz monitor, selecting 1/2 refresh rate vsync in Inspector effectively makes your monitor update every 1/30 of a second (30hz).

What gsync will do however is sync EVERY single frame to exactly how long it took to render that frame, so your monitor will be switching continually.

I have tried this and for me it is nowhere near as smooth as 60fps.

Say you're flying along with the view in a certain direction (not looking around), then you won't notice a difference between 1/2 synced 30fps and normal vsynced 60fps.

But as soon as you start to give inputs to the game, changing view, using mouse and keyboard and so on, then you'll notice that the game becomes more responsive the higher the fps

you're at. This is the input lag issue introduced by vsync and will apparently be gone altogether with gsync.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Absolutely the same for me. I see high frame rate and no stuttering at all. Except perhaps one single stutter when FSX ATC opens it's mouth. and that's at unlimited frame rate in FSX, and no external limiter. I guess I'm lucky. I don't go in for hyper detailed add-n airports which probably has something to do with it.

I see no tearing either, even with VSync off.

I have a BenQ 120 Hz monitor. Maybe that's something to do with it, who knows. But for me, I don't think I'll get much befit from GSync.

Martin, do you have VSync off, or at 1/2 refresh rate?

Noel