Sign in to follow this  
Avocet

Unable to Activate FSX

Hi All.

I can't get FSX to activate.  I've tried many suggestions eg Compatibility Mode, MS Software Licencing System Reset tool, phone activation, but no luck.  UK Activation number wants the Product Key which contains letters, which can't be entered.  Also tried US number.  MS said they don't support the product anymore and wouldn't activate it.

Would anyone know how to get it activated?

Help really appreciated.

Sounds like you will have to purchase FSX again as it appears you have tried everything that is required to get it reactivated.  The only thing I'm wondering about is your comment that the product key cannot be entered.  What are you looking at?  The product key is the serial number (not Flight Sim X D1x that appears next to the Product Key).  The product key has 25 digits and letters.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi,

Yes the 25 digit Product Key was entered.  I was counting on the MS Software Licencing System Reset tool to work, but wasn't really sure about how to use it, do you know how to get it to work?

What OS? 

I was able to activate FSX (deluxe version) only two weeks ago) on Windows 8.1,but I heard some users had difficulty with 

this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960481

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Thanks for the link, but this didn't work.  I'll have to buy another FSX.

I shouldn't have to come to that,if you don't have too much tied to FSX,consider X-Plane

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Sorry to hear of your problem, that must be well annoying.

Worrying for the rest of us to perhaps!

Keithy George

Hey, I also had this problem. After you install you can only fly as "demo". I know you tried the compatibility options, but in my case I left in blank all compatibility options except "run as administrator" options and it worked. After that registration works ok. 

Just a shot in the dark...

Worrying for the rest of us to perhaps!

Why would that be?

I would be worried if my system crashed and I had to re-instal my FSX from zero and couldn't activate it.  Not sure if that is what happened here but I always wonder what will happen if I have to re-instal from scratch.

I have lost my product key, would I have to buy FSX again as well as Acceleration and use the codes they give? Or should I try calling Microsoft and have them generate me a code and put that in while running in compatibility mode?

I thought the solution could be to be able to enter letters as well as digits while calling the MS Activation number, got a mate to try on his top-spec phone but it wasn't possible.  If there's a phone that can do this then I'd give it a go!

Thanks again for the help.

So you can't call the activation number and say each letter/digit to the computer?  According to this article, you have to talk to someone - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925723 (this link was last reviewed by Microsoft on October 31, 2013 so it should provide the latest).  I would think that if you were denied activation by entering the product key via the Internet, you would have the same issue when you speak to a representative.  Are you sure you are calling the number indicated in FSX when FSX prompts you to activate the product?  Unfortunately we all do not run into these problems frequently so it is hard to provide advice except for the links.  I do not think you can enter your product code by punching the keys for the product code as you will need a confirmation code to enter into the FSX Activation screen.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have lost my product key, would I have to buy FSX again as well as Acceleration and use the codes they give? Or should I try calling Microsoft and have them generate me a code and put that in while running in compatibility mode?

Yes, you would. Write your information down somewhere as a backup. Type up a document with your information and save it on a flash drive. Put your FSX DVD case in a safe place, not scattered around your room somewhere.

No Microsoft would not generate you a code.

No you don't need to run anything in compatibility mode.

I would be worried if my system crashed and I had to re-instal my FSX from zero and couldn't activate it.  Not sure if that is what happened here but I always wonder what will happen if I have to re-instal from scratch.

You would install it and activate it just like you did the first time.