Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ohsirus

Is this Normal for defs:Ailerons 1?

carenado_zps9b0efd55.jpg

My Carenado C172 and Bonanza have the same readings and both drive me crazy with rolling when Airborne. Looking thru some of my other AC alot have straight 0s and some have far lower settings. I tried it with and without joystick, but the digits start out the same.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Most probably, if you open those models in Plane Maker you'll find under the Control Geometry / Trim section that those aircraft use predefined aileron trim settings ( to the right ) in order to overcome prop effects.

In X-Plane, just as in FSX, aileron and other trim settings imply a direct deflection of the control surfaces, pretty much like pitch trim works on some gliders, by deflecting the manche itself and not only the trim control tab or stabilator.

The correct modelling on this type of aircraft would be to only start feeling the effect, and hence seeing values different from 0 appear on your output, when there is airflow over the control surface creating enough pressure to cause the trim tabs to have their effects....

You can also notice, like in many aircraft in FSX, that the trim tabs move the wrong way on their graphical representation.

If an elevator has a pitch trim tab, then setting down trim will make the tab move up, not down, and the way around.... ( same for ailerons and rudders, the tab always moving opposite of what the correponding control surface will... )

My last acquisition for FSX was Real Air's Duke V2, where it is even reversed, with right aileron trim makes your yoke turn left... If you look at the animation of the aileron trim tabs, you'll see where the bug came from :-)

I guess I need to beta test again. I always considered it one of my jobs......to make sure that control surfaces moved in the correct direction. Had to have a few props change direction too. Good thing, it's only animation...

Don't have the V2 Duke, so I wouldn't have noticed.

So this is normal for my two Carenado models?

Yes, normal.

You could set the trim tab to zero, but that won't help the rolling issue.