Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

Will P3D v2 be stutter free? A Question to beta testers

Beyond the visuals, will the flight in P3D V2 stutter free.  Despite my lower setting in FSX, I still have noticeable stutter (micro pause of a fraction of a second, enough to know that something has just pause your sim) which totally destroy the feeling of flight at that moment.  Having nice visuals and effects is one thing but if your flight is not smooth, then what's the point? 

Thanks in advance

P.S. I looked for this in various posts, most are just raves about visuals and may be one saying that with most visuals maxed out the FPS is 70%-90% of the target 30 FPS.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I can't speak for P3D, but with your system specs and a properly tuned FSX, you should be running default FSX smoothly 99% of the time even with mostly max settings. It's addons that far surpass what FSX was intended for that introduce issues.

That being said, you bring up a good question that can't be ansered right now. How will P3D perform with all the new visual enhancements, plus, all the addons that we can't live without.

I suspect, we will have a much smoother experience at default state as compared to FSX. However, enabling the new enhancements and then the adding all those addons will most certainly introduce new issues, fps loss, and maybe stutter.

I am sure by December going into January, there will be plenty of threads to read. ^_^

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I suspect, we will have a much smoother experience at default state as compared to FSX. However, enabling the new enhancements and then the adding all those addons will most certainly introduce new issues, fps loss, and maybe stutter.

You're pretty much correct. But it's not only FSX/P3D problem, I have seen stutters and FPS fluctiations in every demanding simulator out there.

But of course these things are hard to measure, especially with all those different hardware configurations around and different sim settings. So you'll have to find out for yourself.

Mike Krawczyk

A2A Simulations

I looking forward to the first rush of excited new users comments about performance and whether its worth a full switch over from fsx or not.  And this is an important question.  My system, following all the recommended guildes and tweaks still manages to get an occasional stutter - Mike is quite right about hardware configs for sure.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Microstutters are those that I hate most. Maybe you are experiencing smooth and solid 30 fps but something doesn't feel right. What is that? Microstutters, the typical fast-slow-fast transition that kills the immersion and makes you rather turn the whole thing off. Not all sims have this problem: X-Plane may suffer if you take your sliders all  the way to the right, it can even go down below 10 fps, but it will do that with regularity.

Some tecnhical report about CPU and GPU waiting for each other in some circumstances make me think that the guys at LM may have solved the issue. I really hope so.

I can't speak for P3D, but with your system specs and a properly tuned FSX, you should be running default FSX smoothly 99% of the time even with mostly max settings. It's addons that far surpass what FSX was intended for that introduce issues.

That being said, you bring up a good question that can't be ansered right now. How will P3D perform with all the new visual enhancements, plus, all the addons that we can't live without.

I am sure by December going into January, there will be plenty of threads to read. ^_^

The difference is that P3D wont rely anywhere so heavily on the CPU, meaning any frame loss can be easily rectified by turning down the settings or getting out your wallet and buying a more meaty GPU. You're not going to run it flat out on something like a 6000 ATI or a 560Ti Nvidia thats for sure.

A lot of microstutter issues were actually taken care of in P3Dv1.

I turned off road traffics, reduced air traffics to 10%, reduce autogen to sparse, yet I still have annoying stutters, especially on approach.  I do have add-ons but I use the free SceneryConfig tool to only enable my to /from airports and I still have stutters.  P3D 2 claims to have done a few things to eliminate this effect, but so far I did not have beta tester commenting anything about level of smoothness.  Visuals to me is not worth a dime if you can't fly properly.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

This is also something to consider:

I know that a LOT of users state that you don't gain anything with RAM speeds over 1600, but (game) tests indicate that your minimum FPS will be higher, with faster RAM. And it is the minimum FPS that result in stutters.  The FPS that are displayed in FSX are your average FPS.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I am also wondering/hoping that Nvidia will provide driver updates optimized for P3Dv2 considering it will be more GPU based. Unfortionately since P3D will not be considered entertainment or gaming, Nvidia's hands may be bound. Not sure about this one.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

This is also something to consider:

I know that a LOT of users state that you don't gain anything with RAM speeds over 1600, but (game) tests indicate that your minimum FPS will be higher, with faster RAM. And it is the minimum FPS that result in stutters.  The FPS that are displayed in FSX are your average FPS.

Interesting point....I had not heard that before.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000