Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Utility that can change payload values

I've recently bought PFPX and one of its features is it can randomise the payload of the aircraft. But I have to edit the aircraft payload values manually and it's getting tiresome. The FSX interface is also terrible as you can't tab through fields and have to manually select, delete and enter 4 values.

I could buy TopCat which integrates with PFPX and can update the payload but I don't really need all the other things it can do so spending 17 Euros just for that seems daft.

I've searched the library for FSX utilities but can't see any that can change the payload. Is anyone aware if anything exists please?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Edit the [weight and balance] section of the aircraft.cfg to combine all payload stations into one (or two - crew and payload). Problem solved.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Thanks for the suggestion but that's a path I don't want to take. It still involves manual editing for each flight.

It seems odd that in all the years FSX has been out no-one except TopCat has come up with a way of doing this externally via a decent interface.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I know how to do it and it's not that complicated if you know a bit of C programming.

I don't need to do it though.

Do you want to know how to do it?

You need to write an exe simconnect program to read the appropriate aircraft.cfg to determine what payload stations there are in the aircraft. Then write an interface that will display those stations and allow the user to mod them. Then using simconnect one simply writes the new payload values directly into FSX.

Doug Dawson has written a dsd fuel dump example which with considerable modification will achieve the desired results:

http://www.douglassdawson.ca/

www.antsairplanes.com

Hi Anthony,

I have no C knowledge whatsoever so it's a non-starter for me unfortunately. It seems there is no demand for such a utility as it would surely have been provided by now.

I used to fly with exactly the same payload every flight but it's boring. It's not how the real world operates. I like the random factor with payload so I suppose as there's no utility available I have two options. Continue to enter it manually or buy TopCat.

Thanks for the pointer. Perhaps someone who reads this and is interested might provide one.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Tough combination, Ray:

Looks like PFPX randomizes payload but doesn't provide the loading interface to (complex, custom-coded) aircraft.

You'll find that kind of interface with FS Captain (which also randomizes payload and pax numbers, and also provides options to customize "load maps") ... but then again, FS Captain won't do the flight planning. Plus, you habe to make sure FS Captain supports exactly the range of aircraft YOU fly.

What you could do is, let FS Captain do the randomizing and loading stuff, and enter just the single payload entry in PFPX for the flight planning.

What I'm not exactly sure of is, what flightplan formats FS Captain is able to read: You may have to export the PFPX flightplan in native FSX format for FS Captain to import it and calculate its ETAs and stuff.

Looks like PFPX randomizes payload but doesn't provide the loading interface to (complex, custom-coded) aircraft.

Well it doesn't directly but if you buy TopCat from the same people it will. What I have to ask myself is is it worth 15 pounds to not have to enter the values manually.

You'll find that kind of interface with FS Captain (which also randomizes payload and pax numbers, and also provides options to customize "load maps") ... but then again, FS Captain won't do the flight planning. Plus, you habe to make sure FS Captain supports exactly the range of aircraft YOU fly.

What you could do is, let FS Captain do the randomizing and loading stuff, and enter just the single payload entry in PFPX for the flight planning.

What I'm not exactly sure of is, what flightplan formats FS Captain is able to read: You may have to export the PFPX flightplan in native FSX format for FS Captain to import it and calculate its ETAs and stuff.

That sounds like a lot of extra work not to mention cost and potential incompatibility Olli. :wink:  I have no real need for FS Captain anyway.

My pre-flight workload is already quite heavy as I recently bought EFB and need to set that up as well. I think for now I'll stick with manually entering the values.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, TopCat would do it, but only for a limited set of airplanes.  Would Tweak Load be enough?  It favors loading passenger and cargo, but there's something there about fuel too.  Don't know if it would work for all types of aircraft.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

Tough combination, Ray:

You'll find that kind of interface with FS Captain (which also randomizes payload and pax numbers, and also provides options to customize "load maps") ... but then again, FS Captain won't do the flight planning. Plus, you habe to make sure FS Captain supports exactly the range of aircraft YOU fly.

FSCaptain also allows you to specify the PAX number and cargo weight individually, by using the option Specify Flight Details in the Flight Dispatch window. 

Ray, TopCat would do it, but only for a limited set of airplanes.  Would Tweak Load be enough?  It favors loading passenger and cargo, but there's something there about fuel too.  Don't know if it would work for all types of aircraft.  

SAX702, Thank you very much! :Applause: That looks to be just what I'm looking for. I can try for a month but I already have TweakFS scenery.cfg editor so I know it's quality software,

Although it can load fuel I usually do that in the CDU.

Andreas, thanks for your suggestion but as you can see I now have a solution. PFPX also randomises the passengers and cargo.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray, you're welcome.  When you say that you usually load fuel in the CDU, are you talking about the PMDG (NGX, 777) CDU?  If so, you can also do the passenger and cargo the same way.  

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

I have no real need for FS Captain anyway.

My pre-flight workload is already quite heavy as I recently bought EFB and need to set that up as well.

Ray,

Who needs me pretending to be an FO yakking in their right ear, anyway?  :rolleyes:

FSCaptain works with the T7, but we need to create an actual interface for all the systems so everything will be covered.  Looking at our workload, that might not happen until closer to the end of the year.  We need to finalize our current update and then see what's the juiciest low-hanging fruit to grab next.  I think Dutch will take the T7 and I hope to do more work with the Q400 at the time of their next update.

Then too, I'm investigating integrating FSCaptain with PFPX.  A few years ago I wrote a module (for my personal use) that would export FSCaptain "loading goals" to be picked up by Topcat, who would then export a detailed Takeoff report which my module would then layer into an FSCaptain dispatch release.  It worked flawlessly, so I'm hoping to take some time in early 2014 to do something similar for PFPX.

I know Urs and Christian have spoken about integrating EFB 2 with PFPX, so I'd like to see a fully involved system appear next year.

Till then, safe flying!!

AivlaSoftEfbDeveloper.png

Sig1.jpg

(Each product functions in a fully-functional trial mode for interested users.)

Thanks for the suggestion but that's a path I don't want to take. It still involves manual editing for each flight.

Being a virtual pilot ain't for the lazy. ;)

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Ray, you're welcome.  When you say that you usually load fuel in the CDU, are you talking about the PMDG (NGX, 777) CDU?  If so, you can also do the passenger and cargo the same way.  

My setup is unusual. I'm using the PMDG737 designed for FS9 and have removed its panel - hence why it's usable. My CDU is part of the Project Magenta Boeing suite which runs on a WideFS PC. It allows fuel to the loaded but not payload. I have to enter ZFW into it to get correct v1, vR, v2 speeds and that has to include payload of course.

I was mid-flight when I looked at TweakLoad. After landing I installed it and had a play. Whilst it does exactly what it says I'm still thinking whether it's ideal for me. I still have to edit 4 fields and if the aircraft I'm using is already loaded I have to select another and then reselect the original for the new payload to be active. If I use TL before starting FSX there's no problem apart from calculating and entering payload.

As it's payware I'm wondering if TopCat  at 17UKP might be an easier solution than TL for 9UKP. I know we're talking small amounts here but as Topcat will give me a lot more than payload I'm coming around to thinking it might be the best solution.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

With the "unusual" setup, suggest ensuring TopCat would meet requirements.  I'm sure you know you can download and evaluate TopCat before you purchase it.  I think it allows full functionality for the PMDG B747.  Best of luck.  

dv