Sign in to follow this  

Annoying wrong tree textures after installing addon plane

Since I installed the A2A C172 (which I will never do again until A2A releases a 2.0 compatible version) I get those wrong and odd tree textures when I start P3D. I know I can fix this by changing the texture resolution to something else and then back again but needless to say this is very annoying. Before I installed the plane this never happened. I uninstalled the plane, deleted the cache and even created a new cfg but still... those stupid trees. Seems only a complete reinstall can fix this...? Or does anyone know another fix for this?

So a warning: don't install addons before they are officially supported and compatible! They may seem to work but they can screw up your P3D install!

Since I installed the A2A C172 (which I will never do again until A2A releases a 2.0 compatible version) I get those wrong and odd tree textures when I start P3D.

How on earth does installing an aircraft affect the trees? I'm not doubting you at all, but what an odd thing to happen :Thinking:

Jeroen, I don't buy that for one minute. I had a similar problem with the stock, bare-bones, P3Dv2 installation!

After closing P3D and rebooting my sim machine (which btw hadn't been done for several weeks at least...) then relaunching P3D everything was fine once more.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I had a similar problem with the stock, bare-bones, P3Dv2 installation!

Ok, then it must have been a coincidence twice.  ^_^ I have installed P3D 2.0 twice now and both times this problem started after installing the C172. If it had only happened once I wouldn't have made this connection, but since it happens twice… Up to now a reboot (and everything else I've tried) didn't solve the problem.

Well, whatever may cause this, hopefully LM will fix it.

Hmm that sounds very strange. I had problems with autogen trees after installing some aerosoft airport packagea with FTX ORBX screnery but putting orbx to a higher scenery library priority ans using orbx trees it fixed it. Can't think why and aircraft would affect scenery.

Can't think why and aircraft would affect scenery.

Me neither! however, those weird tree textures sometimes are textures from planes: I can see knobs and stuff. Seems that somehow the memory gets confused and loads textures in the wrong textures. Maybe the C172 has some memory problems, I don't know. But if can't figure this out I will reinstall everything again and don't touch the C172 anymore.

I installed FTX PNW and have the same issue with the stock Maule. Some of the tree textures actually get replaced with what appears to be partial building textures. They seem to Morph depending on the texture resolution chosen. Something is not mapped  properly in memory or something. What is interesting is that if I lower the texture rez jto 256, the tree textures are corrected, but the Aircraft VC is still in high rez. It is not until saving the flight and then resetting the flight that the cockpit VC resolution is actually reduced to the chosen rez. Very strange. I will point out that with the Baytower RV intalled, the rv VC is duplicated and parts of the A/C are floating around. It has to be a memory map issue.

Bob

Same here, the C172 gives me also some memory problems and stutters.

We have to wait for an supported P3D V2 installer.

I thought the tree issue was due to overcommitting video memory?

Could be wrong but if so its that the add-ons you've installed use up all the video memory rather than their installers are faulty (and proper P3Dv2 installers won't fix it).

Maybe P3D needs more robust, less ambitious memory management?

My P3Dv2 install gets worse each night, but I'm persevering!

Cheers

Keith

Who has not long bought a 2GB video card - that MUST be enough.... sigh!

Something is defenitely wrong with the memory management. But you could also say something is defenitely DIFFERENT with the memory managent! Either way, a lot of addons have serious problems and P3D 2.0 clearly isn't as compatible as everyone seemed to think.

Makes you wonder though that everyone was doing during beta testing...?

Here is a screenshot in a brand new, pure virgin, P3Dv2 of how the "lights" were displayed...

...after changing a/c and going back, the light correct light .fx textures were displayed.

B737-200000008.jpg

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Mem was my 1st instinct, but I am also using a 1.2 gig video card which may or may not be a contributing factor, at least for this issue. I will at least upgrade to a 2 gig card soon depending on the cost. Not sure if more than 2 would be needed, but then again I always fly ORBX so I will need to find others who have monitored the the usage. I just did a short hop from jefferson (orbx) to KSEA at dusk, and it really was a nice flight. One thing I had not even paid attention to was the autogen popping. Wow, there isnt any!. Absolutely awesome. The HDR s quite nice also. Bloom and SweetFX all in one. I am torn though between locking the frames @33 or leaving them on unlimited with vsync checked. It seems it is good in some areas and not so good in others, and this is flying through these areas. What I found is if the frames go in the toilet at times for no apparent reason i.e. increased traffic, bldgs etc, I can save the flight and then reload that flight, and  the frames go back up to where they were before. There is definately something going on with the video stuff. I am sure they will get it going.

Bob

Here is a screenshot in a brand new, pure virgin, P3Dv2 of how the "lights" were displayed...

...after changing a/c and going back, the light correct light .fx textures were displayed.

Well I havent got that anomoly yet. LOL

Bob

Ive flown for over a week now with unlocked frames. Im still running unlocked, but locked to 33 externally. The difference is very noticeable and so far, is vastly smoother. When I ran without the external limiter, when the FPS fluctuated, their would be a delay but the smoothness would suffer.

I think LM have made this information available, with frames limited, they are buffered and will result in smoother flight but lower FPS overall. I've not seen mention of what happens when they are limited externally. Still early days regarding testing bit early indications are the same effect is obtained.

When flying near the edge of densely populated areas with large amounts of autogen, as you do 360 turns, you can tell which direction will give you a heavy frame hit and which will not. When doing this with no external lock, as you approach heavy regions and the frames tumble (but are still higher than with them locked) the smoothness tumbles also. So far with the FPS limited externally, although the FPS reduces the smoothness remains.

Ive flown for over a week now with unlocked frames. Im still running unlocked, but locked to 33 externally. The difference is very noticeable and so far, is vastly smoother. When I ran without the external limiter, when the FPS fluctuated, their would be a delay but the smoothness would suffer.

I think LM have made this information available, with frames limited, they are buffered and will result in smoother flight but lower FPS overall. I've not seen mention of what happens when they are limited externally. Still early days regarding testing bit early indications are the same effect is obtained.

When flying near the edge of densely populated areas with large amounts of autogen, as you do 360 turns, you can tell which direction will give you a heavy frame hit and which will not. When doing this with no external lock, as you approach heavy regions and the frames tumble (but are still higher than with them locked) the smoothness tumbles also. So far with the FPS limited externally, although the FPS reduces the smoothness remains.

Thanks Brian!! I appreciate your input.

Regards

Bob