Sign in to follow this  
amalishkin

ASN Cloud Texture Question Dark Clouds intermixed with White Clouds

Hello,

I have odd issue and not sure if its something in my setup or intended to work as is, but this issue is very visible and easily recreated when flying Northern Alaska like PAJN to PANC or PANC to PAFA and few areas around there more south its less prone.  It doesnt matter if I use ASN or ASE2012 ether one of these produce  similar effect but more prone in ASN is i will have a mix of small puffy white clouds as you normally expect but then bunch of much darker clouds in mix almost like 50/50 mixing of two types of different clouds into mix, and effect is strange as you have almost dark/white/dark/white color mixing.  I tried various ASE cloud texture presets and get similar effect.  Ill try capturing screenshot and posting but getting to point where its almost comical to fly northern alaska with these cloud sets,  Also clouds appear more shrunk when going north, I know FSX has issues when you get close to poles with cloud draw but this almost feels like i am at pole already and clouds half their size, is this normal ? anyone else has this odd mix of pure white and dark gray clouds in same mix of sky?

Thanks,

Andrei Malishkin

Hi,

Are you using shade? The dark mixed with white clouds can be amplified with shade used, Also using As2012 day sky set will not have this at day time.

FSX North Pole clouds get shrinked, this is normal FSX issue.

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Can you clarify what you mean by using shade? you mean enb series thing?  I do not, i use DX9 only.   

Chris,

by the way, awesome product, love the new interface and speed.  

one slight suggestion maybe next version could you guys add option to export winds loft data out into file instead of manual processes we do now looking through briefing highlighting copying and pasting into wx file.

love new turbulence and wind shear, definitely keeps on toes when flying :P

Thanks,

Andrei.

Dark and white clouds? Wow, that's what I would like to have! I usually have too white clouds, while some days ago, flying thru cumulus clouds in real life, I was seeing light and dark clouds and wondering why I can't get that effect in FS...

James Goggi

Well after playing for 3-4 hours with cloud textures and stuff i think i found culprit and it seems that ASE2012 does not replace my stratus_*.* files so after messing more i removed them all and installed FEX and redid texture it improved my cloud textures now slightly, they are no longer compressed small puffy clouds but more of natural look however the gray/dark feature is still in my opinion to dark but definitely improvement.  

also found odd issue where i had bunch of other cloud textures that deleting them or adding them didnt make any difference so kinda curious what files does FSX read for clouds stuff?

Thanks all for help.

Some of the textures are for simple clouds mode and are never touched by products like AS2012 as nobody uses simple clouds with these products because they look awful and completely flat.

Cheers, Andy.

Well after playing for 3-4 hours with cloud textures and stuff i think i found culprit and it seems that ASE2012 does not replace my stratus_*.* files so after messing more i removed them all and installed FEX and redid texture it improved my cloud textures now slightly, they are no longer compressed small puffy clouds but more of natural look however the gray/dark feature is still in my opinion to dark but definitely improvement.  

also found odd issue where i had bunch of other cloud textures that deleting them or adding them didnt make any difference so kinda curious what files does FSX read for clouds stuff?

Thanks all for help.

FSX use cirrus files and cumulus01 files only, all others are not used, as for the cloud looking, you have to change texture set , there is stratus, cumulus and wispy, individually and these can be related to metar as well how they will look, the gray/dark are related to the sky set and shade, shade are 3rd party addons that modifie the light on clouds and things like this, if you did not install it, it is ok. At dusk and dawn, the dark and gray will remain there, fsx lightning system.

Kind Regards
Chris Willis