Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Acronis just saved my $^%

I don't know exactly what happend but all of a sudden FSX crashed when loading a flight at 33%.  I finally decided I had no choice but to restore from an Acronis backup.  Worked great and very quickly I was back up and running.  Only problem was that my last full backup was from May 2013 so I had a bunch of addons to install that I had purchased since that date.  I guess the lesson is backup once a month.

Now I have a question.

- I did another full backup (not incremental) which took several hours to complete, but my question is why not just do the incremental...is it really a problem doing it this way ?  Maybe do the incremental most of the time and a full backup every 3 or 4 months?

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I've been using Acronis for years and it really is a lifesaver.  Acronis backup is to System Restore as the U.S. Army is to the Boy Scouts.  Incremental backups are just fine once you've done a full backup.  Your backup will take less time and use less space as it will only be backing up files that have changed since the last backup.  I actually do an incremental once every two days and a full backup once a month.  Some might think this excessive but it works for me, and the incremental backup takes just a few minutes.  For your full backup, I would defrag first with a good defrag program like O&O Defrag, and then do a sector by sector backup in Acronis.  This way, if your hard drive ever crashes, you can restore it to exactly the same state as it was when you backed up, defraged and everything.  And you're back up and working in minutes instead of days.  This has served me well for several years now, I hope it helps you out.

Cheers.  :smile:

Whats the difference between sea gate and acronis? I have been using the free seagate and have restored fsx several times from it

ZORAN

Which product do you have? I'm looking at the free trials and there's so many options....

I use Acronis too! I have a full backup only with Windows 8.1 drivers etc...

What's the difference between use the sector by sector or no?

Enviado desde mi iPhone 5S con Tapatalk

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Sector by sector restores everything to exactly where it was on the drive when you backed up.  Without that, it just puts things back on the hard drive without regard to what blocks of the drive it was backed up from.