Sign in to follow this  
tommchowat

Complete FMC Freeze Pre-Flight

Hi Guys,

More 777 woes for me.

Both of my CDU's completely freeze pre-flight. I sit on the FO side and I tried the Captain's side too but no luck. It always happens when trying to put in the cost index. I've tried a flight from EGLL - KPHL about five times now with different starting scenarios but it never seems to get past that point. I can tell when it's about to go weird aswell because when I select the VCN8 arrival for KPHL, it doesn't say SEL next to it when I click it, unless I go to another page, then back to that one. The route executes okay and I can do the PERF INIT up until cost index, where I try to put in say 90, and it won't let me put it in. Then on the FO's CDU everything is completely frozen, and on the Captain's side I can navigate pages for a while but not make any inputs at all. Then when I try to load a different panel state from the Captain's CDU it just goes black. I've tried everything I can think of, reinstalling the entire aircraft, trying from different panel states, but it always gets stuck at this phase. The rest of FS is running perfectly and everything else in the plane remains clickable, except perhaps the most important bit of it!

• Upvote 1

As for me, it's freezing as soon as I try to input the cost index value. The mouse pointer stucks in the "closed hand" icon and nothing is clickable anymore, FSX hangs, but the background sound continues as well as any other oppened applications.

Best regards,

Wanthuyr Filho

Instagram: AeroTacto

Hi Tom,

I had the same problem, i figured that if you click on the FMC "-BRT+" button a few times, the FMC will no longer be frozen and will function normally again. Et voila! problem solved.

Note: You need to do the same with the other 2 FMCs.
Hope this helps!

Regards,
Hassan

that's no REALLY a solution...it's a work-around.  The "issue" needs to be resolved, if indeed it is an issue.

Eric Faber

Hi Eric, not sure how to respond because your May post predates SP1b and you haven't provided an update. Is problem same now with current navdata cycle and 777 version updates? Does it only occur when planning the VCN8 arrival at philly? Do you have other flights that work as expected?

Dan Downs KCRP

Sorry to reopen such an old topic.

I tried flying LHR-PHL twice now and everytime I get to the point of entering the STAR (VCN8 on ILSZ17) with the latest SP for the 777 and 1601 AIRAC the FMC freezes, as well as the ND and other displays.

I couldn't resolve this and 1 out of the 2 times I tried I even got an ntdll.dll CTD. So it seems this old problem is still existent.

As for me, it's freezing as soon as I try to input the cost index value. The mouse pointer stucks in the "closed hand" icon and nothing is clickable anymore, FSX hangs, but the background sound continues as well as any other oppened applications.

... and I have to jump in here as well: I have exactly the same problem since 3 days: FMCs freeze upon entering the cost index.

For info: I use the boxed (Aerosoft) version, updated to 1.10.6492.

Cheers, Gerold

Spoiler

Hardware: Intel i9-13900K @ 4.2 Ghz, BENQ EW3270U (3840*2160), 32 GB RAM DDR5-6000, Gigabyte Gaming OC Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB, Samsung 980 Pro M.2: 1 TB (Win 11-System), Samsung 870 QVO SSD: 2 TB (MSFS), 2 * Samsung 850 EVO SSD: 1 TB (P3D 4.5 HF3) & 500 GB (spare). Scenery / Add-Ons: Lots of commercial & freeware sceneries. Plus REX Weather Force (MSFS), FS Global Mesh 2010, ActiveSky_P3Dv4, ASCA, EzDok v3, Pro-ATC/X and REX 4 Texture Direct (all for P3D).

Just updated to version 1.10.7025, but the problem persists: Entering the cost index results in complete FMC freeze. Even Hassan´s workaround with the "BRT" button (see above) doesn´t help.

I will have to make a fresh install of the 777, and I hope I´ll be able to use her again...

Cheers, Gerold

Spoiler

Hardware: Intel i9-13900K @ 4.2 Ghz, BENQ EW3270U (3840*2160), 32 GB RAM DDR5-6000, Gigabyte Gaming OC Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB, Samsung 980 Pro M.2: 1 TB (Win 11-System), Samsung 870 QVO SSD: 2 TB (MSFS), 2 * Samsung 850 EVO SSD: 1 TB (P3D 4.5 HF3) & 500 GB (spare). Scenery / Add-Ons: Lots of commercial & freeware sceneries. Plus REX Weather Force (MSFS), FS Global Mesh 2010, ActiveSky_P3Dv4, ASCA, EzDok v3, Pro-ATC/X and REX 4 Texture Direct (all for P3D).

Gerold,

Please open a Suport Ticket on our Support Portal with all the details about how you are programming the FMC, whether this is a saved flight plan or panel state, and if you manually entered the Flight plan or imported it from a planning software.  We will be happy to try to help you sort out the issue.

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Gerold,

Please open a Suport Ticket on our Support Portal with all the details about how you are programming the FMC, whether this is a saved flight plan or panel state, and if you manually entered the Flight plan or imported it from a planning software.  We will be happy to try to help you sort out the issue.

Hi Paul, description submitted. Thanks, and I´ll keep this forum informed to share the learnings.

Cheers, Gerold

Spoiler

As proposed let me share an update after getting official input:

- I uninstalled the PMDG 772 base package with the general Windows uninstall function (did that before)
- I manually deleted the FSX/PMDG folder (did that before)
- checked that all PMDG folders had disappeared from FSX/SimObjects/Airplanes as well (did that before)
- removed all 777 related lines under [trusted] in fsx.cfg (did that before)
- deleted the PMDG_777 gauges from fsx/gauges (that move was new after Paul´s hint)
- checked the fsx effects folder for any remainders (nothing)
Then I installed the plane from scratch (boxed), followed by the 1.10.7025 update. Added some liveries with the PMDG operations center. And... I did some SUCCESSFUL flight preparations, with some liveries in both pax and freight versions!

Seems that a thorough removal of the not-working (corrupt) version was the key. Now I hope I did not celebrate too early...  :Party:

Cheers, Gerold

Spoiler

Hi Guys,

Has anyone found a solution for this at all?? I've experienced this ages ago and now switching from FSX to FSX: Steam Edition.. It's happened again. I've used PFPX to export the route to the PMDG folder and using AIRAC 1604 but as soon as I select the VCN8 arrival into KPHL from EGLL, the FMC Freezes up.

Would really appreciate some help. am happy to submit a support ticket if needed.

Tristan

Best Regards,
Tristan Marchent - UK fATPL(A) - EMB 195 First Officer

System: Intel i7-6700k Skylake CPU, 4 Cores (4.0-4.2GHz, Overlocked 20%), Asus Z170 PRO GAMING MBO, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Corsair Hydro H80i V2 CPU Cooler, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB, Windows 10 Home 64-bit (512GB M.2 PCIe SSD), Prepar3D V4.5 (1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD), 4TB SSHD Hybrid Drive, EVGA GQ 80 PLUS Gold 850W Modular PSU

Shouldn't lock up, as a work around try the JIMMS2 arrival. Same thing as VCN8 but it's an RNAV overlay and is probably in more use today.  By the way, PMDG does not import terminal procedures from PFPX, the ARR/DEP preflight is done after the import.

Dan Downs KCRP

Shouldn't lock up, as a work around try the JIMMS2 arrival. Same thing as VCN8 but it's an RNAV overlay and is probably in more use today.  By the way, PMDG does not import terminal procedures from PFPX, the ARR/DEP preflight is done after the import.

I will try this when I am at home after holiday. But surely if I want to select an Arrival, especially with an aircraft of PMDG quality... it should work? No? And not freeze up...

And I import the route into the CDU/FMC before inputting SIDS/STARS into the system.

I just find it really odd that other people have found the same issue, but PMDG can't seem to find the issue.

Best Regards,
Tristan Marchent - UK fATPL(A) - EMB 195 First Officer

System: Intel i7-6700k Skylake CPU, 4 Cores (4.0-4.2GHz, Overlocked 20%), Asus Z170 PRO GAMING MBO, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Corsair Hydro H80i V2 CPU Cooler, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB, Windows 10 Home 64-bit (512GB M.2 PCIe SSD), Prepar3D V4.5 (1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD), 4TB SSHD Hybrid Drive, EVGA GQ 80 PLUS Gold 850W Modular PSU

I just find it really odd that other people have found the same issue, but PMDG can't seem to find the issue.

For all we know PMDG has this in their bug tracking system to be worked next time they spend resources on this product.  Not odd at all.

As I recall, the VCN8 arrival without any arrival transition is not a route at all, just the VCN VOR which is already loaded in the flightplan.  If you want, you can dig into this a little futher but if your route terminates at VCN there is no need to add VCN8 arrrival... agree, shouldn't lock up but this is not a serious problem.

Dan Downs KCRP