Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

P3D "Out of Memory"

But I do see your point, lets hope the 64bit message isn't falling on deaf ears at LM ... I gotta figure LM are a responsible development team and seem committed ... hopefully the project manager(s) and those funding this development work will see the importance to not waste resources (dare I say ... yet again) on a road that is very limiting.

The world just can't fit in 32bits ;)

P3DV2 can only use 4GB (on a 64bit OS) and if those other products including OS do use up the rest of your 4GB then Windows will start using your HD/SSD as RAM -- this will be incredibly slow, but it will not generate an OOM.

FYI, FTX Vector is a big VAS consumer, you can also disable it via scenery library.

Any idea if disabling paging file has any effect on VAS? I have p3d installed on an SSD and have done so.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Any idea if disabling paging file has any effect on VAS?

I would NOT disable the paging file under any circumstances ... even if you have 64GB Physical RAM.  It really is best to let Windows decide your paging file for Desktop computing use.

And so the search for magic cures starts. As an interested bystander, I think I would just wait a while before buying into P3Dv2. If I absolutely couldn't wait, I would just do default and play around until some fixes come out. Anything else seems a recipe for frustration.

If I absolutely couldn't keep myself to simply default, I would install things in the full anticipation of crashes and problems.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This should answer your question: http://rog.asus.com/51092012/overclocking/overclocking-using-offset-mode-for-cpu-core-voltage/ - it'll depend on how you go about Overclocking.  But yes, you want it to change real time for good overclocking ... you do NOT want it to stay consistently at highest value.  

I don't go into the BIOS/UEFI much any more, I use the Asus AI Suite tools to setup OC profiles from within Windows 7 ... typically when I'm working I run a lower OC profile than when I'm flight simmming (FS is a 4.8Ghz profile).  Regular work/coding is 4.4Ghz profile.  But for really heaving hitting CPU/GPU applications, I have a separate profile for them 4.6Ghz ... cinema4D and Adobe CC will put more stress on my system than Prime95, Sandra BurnIn, or any Flight sim.

Rob

Thanks that's a pretty good explanation.  When I first assembled this machine I followed AJ of ASUS's video guide for o'clocking SB-E.  I tried to go step by step and in the end when all was tested etc I had the best result starting w/ the Extreme profile in the UEFI bios.  I ended up w/ a stable overclock of 4.3 w/ my ram at about 2356Mhz.  I still am running this mode however made some adjustments in the BIOS to fix the Vcore at 1.305v and otherwise followed the other elements of AJ's guide.  And again, when I look at any sensing software I see VID in the neighborhood of 1.265v at 4.4Gh down to something like 0.85v at 1.5Gh stepped down at low load.  Does that seem to you like I am subjecting this chip to quite low voltage for the sort of o'c I'm getting?  Oddly, when I tried to do this w/o first starting w/ the canned Extreme profile I would end up getting my DRAM up to 2400Mhz, CPU the same at 4.4, but VID would be much higher, around 1.36v or so, and lost the drop at low load, so guess I was not in offset mode.  Anyway, my main question was if the voltage my chip is running at is as easy on the chip as it might appear to the only slightly aware.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I'm still puzzled at my VRAM usage ... sometimes my VRAM is at 3.8GB or more while VAS is low 2.5GB while at other times VRAM is 2.0GB and VAS is high at 3.8GB. My understanding of DX11 is that all textures should be in VRAM as that's much faster access ...

You should keep pestering LM about this observation Rob because you may be on to something here (along with your observation on the sudden increase in VAS over a ms).

And so the search for magic cures starts. As an interested bystander, I think I would just wait a while before buying into P3Dv2. If I absolutely couldn't wait, I would just do default and play around until some fixes come out. Anything else seems a recipe for frustration.

If I absolutely couldn't keep myself to simply default, I would install things in the full anticipation of crashes and problems.

Heard it so many times before, but the search for the magic cure is not just starting now. It's been an ongoing quest for many, many years. Does every version release of MSFS ring a bell? Unless you have been an Avsim member for 7 years or more, it may not. But, it's been the same old, same old, same old, same old comments since FS2. Nothing new, just the same old comments.  Many people of course do wait, sitting on the sidelines trying to avoid their (often perceived, and rightfully deserved) recipe for frustration - but most do change ....... eventually. That is called progress. And that's why most of us have moved on from FS95 or prior.

Personally, I am enjoying both. One more than the other I must admit. Default? Never heard of it.

Heard it so many times before, but the search for the magic cure is not just starting now. It's been an ongoing quest for many, many years. Does every version release of MSFS ring a bell? Unless you have been an Avsim member for 7 years or more, it may not. But, it's been the same old, same old, same old, same old comments since FS2. Nothing new, just the same old comments.  Many people of course do wait, sitting on the sidelines trying to avoid their (often perceived, and rightfully deserved) recipe for frustration - but most do change ....... eventually. That is called progress. And that's why most of us have moved on from FS95 or prior.

Personally, I am enjoying both. One more than the other I must admit. Default? Never heard of it.

Just making an observation. I never questioned anybody else's decision to change, just noting that from the outside right now (certainly for me) there seems little point on jumping onto a visibly listing ship till the hole is patched. Unless you just fancy the possibility of a quick swim, in which case its not very shocking if you get wet.

Especially if the old ship (FSX) is still quite seaworthy, for now.

Thread after thread with problem after problem with this and that and generally just about anything third party, followed by a tidal wave of tweaks with results just as random as in FSX. I just wonder why people don't hold off a bit on installing addons till the difficulty is tracked down and the all clear given. It seems like almost nobody is doing that though. Instead its a litany of OOM's.

So now people are talking about putting P3Dv2 aside for a while or even returning it. Meanwhile I'm reading all these threads trying to decide if jumping to the new boat and trying the next big thing is an attractive idea, and....... from what I'm gathering, right now its just not. I'm already a paying beta tester on Xplane.  :unsure:

At this point, after watching the adventures of the early adapters, if I still had an urge to jump ship I would probably just chill and enjoy default, or accept that If I cant do that then I shouldn't be shocked if issues arise.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I never questioned anybody else's decision to change, just noting that from the outside right now (certainly for me) there seems little point on jumping onto a visibly listing ship till the hole is patched. Unless you just fancy the possibility of a quick swim, in which case its not very shocking if you get wet.

Well...for me, I've been up twice today, once in the CS Super MD80 and once in the RA Turbine Duke.  In fact I'm about an hour into KSBA-KABQ in the MD80, REX3 2048 clouds, FTXG, FSG mesh.  I have yet to have an OOM, have fabulous performance, but most of all:  I've tried, but FSX just looks so flat I guess it must be, that I just find myself in P3DV2 90+% of the time.  And I really, really was enjoying the PMDG T7 in FSX, complete w/ 3D lights ala FTXG.   Quite frankly it's hard to explain even to myself.   It's just looks and feels more realistic and that, is compelling.  For me it runs great, but of course has it considerable limitations.   I've decided to keep the sucker, even though I told myself initially I'd bail at the 60D refund op IF they didn't come out w/ the interim patch 2.05 before then.   That could change if had Rob's nightmares I'd likely go for a refund just to keep them honest.   I guess I'm one of the lucky ones but after experiencing a severe problem w/ FSDT Hawaiian Airports (they looked fabulous!) and uninstalling that, I've been trouble free w/ 3 add-on airplanes so far.  My intense beef is with Orbx Vector for P3DV2.  I won't install it unless they build a user interface that lets the user disable road vector data for example, and types of roads, etc.  This is done in UTX which is coming out for V2 soon, and I will happily jump on board there.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Just making an observation. I never questioned anybody else's decision to change, just noting that from the outside right now (certainly for me) there seems little point on jumping onto a visibly listing ship till the hole is patched. Unless you just fancy the possibility of a quick swim, in which case its not very shocking if you get wet.

Thread after thread with problem after problem with this and that and generally just about anything third party, followed by a tidal wave of tweaks with results just as random as in FSX. I just wonder why people don't hold off a bit on installing addons till the difficulty is tracked down and the all clear given. It seems like almost nobody is doing that though. Instead its a litany of OOM's.

So now people are talking about putting P3Dv2 aside for a while or even returning it. Meanwhile I'm reading all these threads trying to decide if jumping to the new boat and trying the next big thing is an attractive idea, and....... from what I'm gathering, right now its just not. I'm already a paying beta tester on Xplane.  :unsure:

At this point, after watching the adventures of the early adapters, if I still had an urge to jump ship I would probably just chill and enjoy default, or accept that If I cant do that then I shouldn't be shocked if issues arise.

I haven't hit an OOM - just finished a 5 hour flight over ORBX Ireland with REX4 and it was spectacular. I really didn't mind being an early adopter...dealing with the occasional hiccup, and checking back in here on how to make things better. But everyone's got their own comfort level...

Agree with Dylan, I know what I'm getting into ... and in some ways it is much like FSX and XP10 but the visual and performance results are better IMHO ... even if frustrating at times.

On the plus, tonight was a much better night than last night.  I seemed to have solved my OOM issues - I took MarkSC's suggestion and extended it to one more slider - many thanks to MarkSC getting me to focus on that. I'm still pretty sure there is some memory management bug floating around deep inside the LM code base but I was able to solve the OOM problem and the strange massive and sudden VAS usage by changing these two settings:

1.  Autogen Vegetation Density = Dense (down from Very Dense)

2.  Autogen Building Density = Dense (down from Very Dense)

Guess I never tried this exact combination before, it takes both to make the OOM/VAS issue go away (what I hope is for good).

Frame rates are for the most part unaffected, but VAS usage has been drastically improved down over 1.3GB even after a long flight in an aircraft and airport I know would cause instant OOMs (Twin Otter Extended and Oslo 2.0).  I no longer get that sudden 1GB VAS usage either.  Visually there is a little less but it's certainly not "bad".  Uploading a video now showing the settings and let folks decide if there are "enough" visuals for you.

Rob.

Ok here's the video with new density changes (all graphics settings are listed at the end of the video) - may take YouTube 30 mins or so to get it fully available at 1440p:

Rob

I  will repeat my YPMQ to YSSY flight again tonight with Autogen vegetation and building density to "dense". 

Hopefully no crashing. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

On my PC the OOMs went away when I disabled the anti autogen popping. I run with extremely dense autogen. I have no other addons than FSUIPC, FTX Global and a whole lot of WOAI traffic.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

1.  Autogen Vegetation Density = Dense (down from Very Dense)
2.  Autogen Building Density = Dense (down from Very Dense)

Oh my, well, bummer… My precious autogen…  ^_^ It was already a sacrifice to go from Extremely dense to Very dense but going to Dense… I don't know if I can take that!!!  :P 

Well, as it is right now I don't HAVE to do it because I don't have any OOMs with my current setup, but if I add more add ons in the future and specially when I get a new PC and want to run some higher settings, I might have to give this a try. I will give it a try anyway this evening to see how it looks and to check VAS. Coming from Extremely dense I can't imagine it will look too good to me, even though the autogen system has changed in P3D. That change btw obviously is the reason for the impact autogen has on VAS: there is a much larger circle of autogen constantly on screen in P3D v2.

Concerning some remarks about going back to FSX or not and things like that: just as other posted, I know what I am into. I choose to stick with P3D v2 and hence I choose to live with some problems right now, but I keep on hoping for a bright future. The things it does well, I really like and for me personally P3D v2 offers enough to stick with it. And I kinda like it to be part of this search for the holy grail.  ^_^ I don't want to be a bystander. But I also fully and completely understand when people decide to stick with or go back with other sims! I'd be a fool and blind if I couldn't understand that.

The world just can't fit in 32bits ;)

A nice statement!

Like it very much - and sums it all up pretty well i think!

As for now though i remain hoping that LM either finds a real convincing workaround for the current situation regarding OOM's or very, very seriosuly considers going 64bit rather sooner than later!

Cheers, Christoph