Sign in to follow this  
marius scheepers

OOM'S (yes another thread about it)

Hi guys and dolls,

Ok so i have been on the receiving end on the past couple of flights of this horrible thingin our lives called OOM'S, I have taken all (most i could find) solutions everyone was talking about and implemented it on my sim.

So this is what i have done:

1. Made sure  had the Highmem fix, was there already

2. Max Load Textures: 1024 - Saw no problem with AS lovely textures!

3. Load Radius: 4.5 - whatever it does dont see any problems

4. Pulled all my sliders on AI to the left to 0 - I fly online so AI dont bother me too much, left airport vehicles at 10%, for some small realism

5.Bought Steve's DX10 Fixer and fixed whatever it has to fix

6.Installed Scenery Loader config - disables all the scenery areas im not gonna use

7.Dont use C&D - as advocated by many

8. Also changed my sliders in FSX under custom scenery to what was proposed by someone in a thread here last week.

I did a flight from EGLL to RKSI and guess what, no OOM at all, and my VAS was within the range the whole time and not once did it seem that i was not gonna make it.

So (grabbing onto a very thick piece of wood), i think i have fixed my VAS issues!

Please note that anyone trying to make the above changes do so at their own risk!!! lol just have to cover myself!

3. Load Radius: 4.5 - whatever it does dont see any problems

set LOD Radius to the middle of the slider if you get OOMs

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

OOMs will happen more easily in places like

• Manhattan (Aerosoft addon)
  • N.Y. (DD N.Y. addon and others' addon airports)
  • London airspace (all those UK2000 addon airports within a confined area)
  • YMML, YBBN, YBCS ('heavy' ORBX addon airports)

My way to deal with them is to create different graphics profiles and to start with a lower quality (read: lower VAS demanding) profile when flying into or out of those areas.

I may raise graphics quality by selecting a different profile, but only after a couple of minutes into the scenerio (having completed my preflight flows), when VAS usage for the departure airport has stabilized.

Take a look at a program called take ownership(its free)

Solved all my problems with crashes and I fly in

All orbx areas in australia hassle free now

Take a look at a program called take ownership(its free)

Solved all my problems with crashes and I fly in

All orbx areas in australia hassle free now

Permissions problems and crashes due to it are different from running out of memory. Your program cant fix OOMs.

Jim Burke

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

My experience:

You can lower your settings to the lowest point, even when you set yor LOD to 2.0 you'll be surprised by OOM's when you fly 10 hours in your 777 from a heavy addon airport to another. The only thing that really helps is the DX10 mode. That's the solution - at least for me.

Regards, Sebastian

With two heavy airports - one for departure and one for arrival - saving the flight before reaching the ToD, shutting down FSX, and restart/reload is another proven option: It will clear the VAS "remains" from your departure and cater for increasing VAS demand during your approach.

(Works only with full panel state saving aircraft like the PMDG T7, obviously.)

Yes Oliver, that's a good alternative. I've used this method for a while.

DX10 is giving me very low FPS & stutters compared to DX9 (bad ATI card), DX9 runs smoother with more FPS but I have to fly with a constant fear of OOM and have to restart FSX before descending.

Hmmm...what are 5 minutes to restart FSX and clear the VAS compared to a 5 to 10 hour flight?

I have to rethink...

Regards, Sebastian

I hate to ask, how does "Clearing VAS" work? Doesn't seem to make sense with Windows memory allocation theory. Imagine having to turn off our hard disks so that deleted files can be written over...  :huh:

One is about contiguity: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/396263-is-fsx-inherently-unstable/?p=2568742

The other one is about scenery information, loaded into VAS (for departure, for example), which isn't completely cleared when the departure area has been left behind ("loaded first when actually needed and used, but not completely unloaded later").

If you shut down and restart FSX, FSX will begin to organize its VAS from scratch, so these two issues can be eliminated.

And pls. remember, VAS and physical RAM/HDD space are two different concepts. (Counting in Virtual Memory makes it three different concepts! :blink:)

Perhaps you are talking about memory leaks, since these often result in "memory not given back to the process", and hence no CTD after restarting mid flight. This looks like a memory leak.

When we install a new aircraft for example and we get the question to allow the .gau or the .dll, that's because they are about to run any old software in the process space of FSX and since any old software can contain malware it's a precaution so that FSX cannot be blamed for any issues arising.

Now when those .dlls or .gaus are running, not only do they take up room for the program, but also they allocate memory for themselves to do the work. It is when these memory allocations have been forgot and the software did not give it back to the process, and memory creeps up until FSX goes pop.

If reducing the LOD RADIUS does not help when a memory problem is found with FSX it is time to start a logical process of elimination. Start with an FSX with no addons and introduce them one by one, until the problem appears.

Addons that are .exes do not affect the VAS space of FSX but they can still cause problems under the hood when connecting to FSX.

The next version of IF10 coming soon keeps a log of VAS used and this value goes up and down. Although the log will only show the peak value, the program internally sees the load increase and decrease as the FSX process requests and frees it. The fact that the log only shows the peak value may mistake some to think that memory is never given back, perhaps this has happened before and brought the incorrect VAS Clearing theory into popularity.

Due to the increased power of PCs FSX is starting to get maxed. IF10 >augmented out very soon features a new diagnostics package that lists modules used, analyses VAS usage throughout the flight, reports on exceptions encountered by FSX, and lists any modules causing errors.

I flew from orbx kbzn to fsdt cyvr last night in my 737ngx and cyvr almost oom me was up around 3.9 at touchdown. I like the Airport but it's practically unusable and this is without ai. My vas was below 3.0 before I began my approach. With the 777 I do not think i would be able to land at cyvr. I'm going to try d10 to see if that helps.

...been using DX10 since Acceleration came out because FSX is smoother, and it's true you will get a little more memory headroom using DX10 since more work is done on the GPU. The 777 is not bad with memory, you need not worry about it, but loading up high res airports and scenery is a killer.