Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

Engine noise is incredibly loud........!

Is anyone else finding that the t7 has incredibly loud engine noise.

Just sitting in the pit at FL400 in CRUISE it sounds like the engines are right in the cockpit with me.

Almost deftening in external views as well.

Shouldn't the engines be barely audible in the pit at high altitude and high speed?

I have my FSX sound settings setup per the PMDG Manual all at 50% but even with the engine should level dropped to 24% its still way too loud....

Are the sound settings system and/ or soundcard specific?

I have a top of the line brand new SB card but am wondering if its supposed to sound this loud.

Chris Camp

I have my FSX sound settings setup per the PMDG Manual all at 50% but even with the engine should level dropped to 24% its still way too loud....

"Too loud" is very subjective.

My version of hot tea is very different from my ex's version of hot tea (her version of "hot" made food taste like rubber for me for a week).

How are you making this determination that it's "too loud?"  Have you sat up front in a 777?  Are you sure it's engine noise (and not packs/wind)?  Have you properly configured your sound settings in Windows and in FSX?

Kyle Rodgers

230000lbs of thrust isn't going to be very subtle..

But in all seriousness, I've my sound at about 20%, and I disable it completely when I speak to ATC.

Aamir Thacker

I too find the PMDG777 very loud.

So loud that I have increased ATC volume to 100% but I still find it difficult to understand ATC (other FSX sounds are at 50%).

I have not messed with sounds other than that and since I rarely use FSX ATC anyway I just turn my PCs volume down.

Real 777:

The thing is, the real 777 is quite loud as well.

What you hear in the cockpit are not the engines but the airconditioning system.

There is a lot of air being pressed through small openings that run up/down in two lines along the center of the overhead panel.

The airflow that comes out of those openings is so strong (hence the noise) that it can chill you considerably when on the observer seat.

Shut the packs off and it gets quite a bit quieter!

(unless using external air)

So in my opinion PMDG has captured the noisy 777 cockpit quite accurately.

I have not paid much attention to engine noise, but try an idle descend and I bet the noise stays the same...because it is the airco system.

Another noise source is airflow during flight.

The faster you fly (IAS) the more noise.

Once the airplane changes from IAS to Mach during climb, and IAS reduces, this noise decreases considerably.

But the 777 is actually way quieter than the B737 as far as airflow noise concerns.

In real life you can turn up ATC volume way higher than in FSX or you can put on your headset. So it is not a problem (other than the fact that noise makes you tired after a few hours and the fact that it induces hearing problems over time! Not Kidding!)

I am not sure if the airco system falls under environmental FSX sound, but you can try lowering that to get a better relation between ATC and other sounds.

Ofcourse Thunder and airflow noise will be reduced with that as well.

Maybe it is better to take a look at the PMDG sound menu (should be in the CDU).

I have not looked at it yet, but maybe you can turn airco noise down there.

Might not be as realistic, but I think one should do with FSX what pleases him/her.

Rob Robson

Remember, too, that with your computer ATC and the engine noise are all routed through one source, while in the real aircraft, it's two distinct sources - headset and surrounding.

You should route this accordingly with your computer as well if you wish to use ATC, otherwise, as you can see, you'll have to make concessions.

Kyle Rodgers

Remember, too, that with your computer ATC and the engine noise are all routed through one source, while in the real aircraft, it's two distinct sources - headset and surrounding.

You should route this accordingly with your computer as well if you wish to use ATC, otherwise, as you can see, you'll have to make concessions.

Yes, but how?

Is there a feature that allows FSX ATC only to come out of a headset?

Rob Robson

Well, I can only compare to a flight as a passenger in a real 777. So comparatively I can judge that the engine noise is substatially louder in the sim cockpit than actually sitting in a window seat at the wings while in cruise....

I also can't hear the ATC even with engine noise set to 24% and Voice set to 65%.

If we are unable to simulate ATC through a headset it should be simulated sound wise in the sim itself. Unfortunately, I'm finding the engine noise quite deftening even at FL400 and at 320 knots.

Something seems very off here with the default sounds all set to 50% as recommended in the manual.

Chris Camp

i have the engine sounds and plane sounds coming through my monitor and VATSIM coming through my headset.

This gives me a perfect balance.

Stewart Cumbers

Yes, but how?

Is there a feature that allows FSX ATC only to come out of a headset?

Yep.  You've probably stared right at it for a while and missed it.  Note the options for SOUND and VOICE in the below screenshot :wink:

FSX-SoundUI-75.jpg

So comparatively I can judge that the engine noise is substatially louder in the sim cockpit than actually sitting in a window seat at the wings while in cruise....

Right, but also remember the wind is coming across the side of the plane as a passenger.  On the flight deck, the wind is hitting the windows at more direct angles.  The deck of a 737 is a very loud place based simply on how the nose is designed (the airflow and relative wind is the cause).

I also can't hear the ATC even with engine noise set to 24% and Voice set to 65%.

See above.  Route the voice to a headset, and let your sounds come out of your speakers.  This is the only realistic way to do it unless you want to make crazy concessions in your volume settings.

Kyle Rodgers

Chris,

If your convinced it's engine noise and nothing else, in the sound window pictured above, turn engines sound to 0.
Now see if it's the engines making the noise.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

See above.  Route the voice to a headset, and let your sounds come out of your speakers.  This is the only realistic way to do it unless you want to make crazy concessions in your volume settings.

This!

It's such a critically important feature, and oh so usefull!

Yep.  You've probably stared right at it for a while and missed it.  Note the options for SOUND and VOICE in the below screenshot :wink:

Oh my G.....you are right I have played with the sliders but totally missed that "voice" to headset" feature :-)

Good one!

Rob Robson

Great suggestions here!

Thanks!

Chris Camp

Welcome!  I guarantee that'll help a decent amount.  Try setting the two sources properly, and reset the values to PMDG recommended and then adjust them from there.

Kyle Rodgers

I find the PMDG 777 volume about right... and the JS4100 volume way too high.

That said, the volume of real turboprops are a tad too high when sitting in them too!