Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Introducing World2XPlane...

Have a look at http://marginal.org.uk/x-planescenery/tools.html OverLay Editor. Open up KSEA (it will take a while to open), and then delete the objects (or add an exclusion). It's pretty easy to use.

I have tried that but it does not show those objects,

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

So it's autogen you want to hide. In OverlayEditor drag an object exclusion around the area.

So it's autogen you want to hide. In OverlayEditor drag an object exclusion around the area.

ok let me try 

I think it worked, but the other issue is the simheaven seattle photoscenery does not work and i have installed patches.

Thank Tony, I was able to exclude those buildings. 

A call out for help! :). If there are any Linux users out there who can dedicate some time to testing the application on that platform, then please let me know via a PM? 

5 more buildings added to the library:

domki.png

Another Austrian building and 4 Western Germany/Netherlands style houses.

• Upvote 5

A new experimental feature I've been working on is using 3D models instead of facades for bulidings inside OSM which have parts, textures, heights and colours. Previously, I used facades, but this caused some problems in that:

a) The facade can't be offset from the ground.

b. They flicker, so one facade inside another caused lots of ugly flickering and messiness

c) Styled roofs, e.g. Domes, Pyramids, etc.. All of which is available in OSM, but can't be done easily inside facades.

So I'm working on a new feature which will construct a real 3D model (X-Plane .obj file) for building parts inside OSM, and texture and colour them, and also apply lights. It's very early days, but the results are very promising:

image.png

This is again Berlin, but this time the landmark has much more detail and colour, is also has reflections. The texturing is a bit off, and is something I really need to work on. You can also see the Fernsehturm in the distance. You'll also notice that there are obstacle lights placed on top of the buildings, which also illuminate at night.

image.png

This is the centre of Warsaw in Poland, which has an impressive range of 3D buildings. You'll notice the arched roofs, and multiple building parts. Also (quite hard to see here), glass buildings reflect in the sunlight. There is an issue with the rotation of some of the buildings and textures I need to fix, but overall it looks better than facades.

image.png

image.png

There is still a long way to go before the generated scenery looks realistic, but creating 3D objects inside OSM is incredibly easy and is really taking off. I recommend everyone to have a look at OSM3D http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_3D_Buildings, as the application will make use of everything possible. 

The only downside (and there always is a downside) is that it will hit frame rates. But currently, I'm not really optimising anything, e.g. Each building has its own texture, etc. So there is lots of work that can be done to clean it up. 

• Upvote 3

Wow Tony that looks cool. GIMME GIMME.  Know about Osm 3d. :)

Still downloading the PBF for the Netherlands. Got a slow connection , think I will upgrade it to 2 Mbps.

Branching out from Europe, I have given a US city a try (New York).  Despite weak data in the area, the 3D information here is quite good:

Screen_Shot_2014_02_28_at_22_57_15.png

Screen_Shot_2014_02_28_at_22_57_43.png

Screen_Shot_2014_02_28_at_22_58_10.png

Screen_Shot_2014_02_28_at_22_58_59.png

This is using my new building part generator, but with the correct textures applied, this could look quite nice.

Hi Tony,

First, thank you for your hard work, it really looks amazing already and with the features you have planned I am sure it will look even better!

Now to the error. I tried to generate Sweden, which was successful and I installed the three required libraries (OpenSceneryX, ff_library, R2_Library). However when I load X-Plane it complains about a missing object. It generates the following in X-Plane's error log:

ATC audio initialized.
Failed to find resource 'objects/obstacles/Fuel_Tank.obj' at 'Custom Scenery/sweden-latest/objects/obstacles/Fuel_Tank.obj'
Failed to find resource 'objects/obstacles/Fuel_Tank.obj' at 'Custom Scenery/sweden-latest/custom objects/objects/obstacles/Fuel_Tank.obj'
0:00:00.000 D/HID: HID Bridge Running
0:00:31.412 E/SCN: Custom Scenery/sweden-latest/Earth nav data/+50+010/+55+012.dsf:
0:00:31.412 E/SCN: Unable to locate object: objects/obstacles/Fuel_Tank.obj

[lots of lines]
Failed to find resource 'objects/obstacles/Fuel_Tank.obj' at 'Custom Scenery/sweden-latest/objects/obstacles/Fuel_Tank.obj'
Failed to find resource 'objects/obstacles/Fuel_Tank.obj' at 'Custom Scenery/sweden-latest/custom objects/objects/obstacles/Fuel_Tank.obj'

My scenery_packs.ini looks as the following:

[airports]
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zzz_Treelines_Farms_Europe_v2/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/sweden-latest/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/OpenSceneryX/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ff_library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/R2_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+55+013_S_Malmoe_gx17/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+59+018_SWE_Stockholm_bc17/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zzz_hd_global_scenery2/

X-Plane still loads just fine.