Sign in to follow this  

Advice on 1st Payware purchase?

Good morning All!I'm ready to make my 1st payware purchase & need some advice. I've narrowed my selection down to the Aeroworks B200 or the PMDG B1900.I've never purchased anything from either of these places & wanted to get some feedback as to how your purchase experiences were with either of these two places. I don't have a paypal account setup & haven't yet discovered if I can use a direct credit card payment with either Aeroworks or PMDG. Also, I'm still on dial up and large d/l takes quite awhile. Is there anything I should know about? Like if I needed to reinstall an aircraft do I need to d/l it again? Is regestration & reinstallation an issue with either of these?My system is modest, P4 2.4 MHZ with 768M RAM & an old GF3 Ti 200 card with WIN XP SP2. I'm satisfied with my sim performance now. Are either of the above planes exceptionally hard on FPS?One more thing if I can? I understand there was supposed to be a V2 of the B200 to be released. Anyone know if that is still in the works?Thanks for your time & Advice.Jim

Guest ap9dm1

JimI don't have either of those two products, but I do have PMDG's 737NG. It has to be said, they did a fabulous job with it, particularly the flight dynamics. So their pedigree is amongst the best and I imagine PMDG B1900 is a professional and well finished product also.As for FPS .. unsure ... and if the size is anywhere near their PMDG 737NG then avoid downloading or you'll be waiting a long while.Sorry can't offer more assistance.DelBTW - might be worth beefing up your Graphics card, that's likely to be where you'll suffer performance issues.

Guest danowat

Hi Jim,Ok, I own both the PMDG B1900 and the Aerowox B200, whilst on the surface they look similar, they are not.Both are VERY GOOD packages, but the PMDG is aimed at the "easier" end of the market, whereas the B200 is a more "hardcore" simulation.Both of these packages are brought using a credit card, there are only a few that use Paypal.The download for PMDG's are a right royal pain in the backside for us lowly mortals on dial-up, they do not allow resumable download, and I found even the 30 odd MB of the B1900 a pain to get.I understand the B200 now uses the F1 wrapper, if so downloading "should" be a breeze, as they normal allow getright etc.The B1900 would be a lot better on performance due to the fact it is a simpler addon, the B200 does hit framerates pretty hard.There is a V2 patch in the works, but as yet I don't think there has been a release date set, that said, the plane is perfectly good enough without it.Its a pretty difficult decision you have to make, as I said previous, both are VERY GOOD packages, but due to you having a lower spec machine I would say the B1900 would be a better bet, but then the dial-up issue rears its ugly head.Good luck on whichever you choose.Dan.

I have both. My recommendation, especially for your system is the PMDG B1900. I have several reasons for this. 1) the PMDG will be much less strain on your computer. The B200 is a complicated model that can really suck frames especially in the VC. The PMDG is a a *much* simpler model to fly (hence the designation as an "express" product line). Not many switches to flip to get it going. In the B200 you have to go through the checklist in proper sequence, or you will get things like a hot turbine start.2) PMDG, in my view, is the top payware company. Their products and service are great.3) There is a problem with the B200: Everything is fine until you exit the flight at which time you will get a CTD. It's a common problem with users. Aeroworx is aware of the problem and, to their credit, is trying to develop a fix. However, after having this happen every time I flew the B200 the CTD corrupted my FS installation and I just finished a complete reinstall of FS. I'm leaving off the B200 on my reinstallation until Aeroworx comes up with a patch. It is a really good flight and systems model, but the CTD after each exit is a bad bug. I would say jump on the Aeroworx B200, but only after this bug is fixed. Unless you really enjoy reinstalling all your FS software ;-)4) Purchasing was easy and painless for either plane. If you have any access to a friend's DSL, etc. do your download there. I ordered the CD for the Aeroworx, as I do for all my payware if possible. Delayed gratification, but it makes reinstallation so much easier. Mike

Guest aca_dia

I own them both as well. If system specs were not issue I would push you towards the B200, but it may not perform all that well on your machine (a better video card would fix that). The B1900 is well done and as others have said it is much more simple. You might consider getting RXxp's Jl2 to go with it if you want a really nice panel.Keep in mind that most complex add ons will tax your system much more than the default aircraft. I can run any default aircraft with FPS near 100 and with the B200 (and the same general settings) I am in the high 20's or low 30's. The B1900 will be much more FPS friendly than the B200 IMO.

I own both, and both of the developers are good groups.The above posters are correct in suggesting the B1900D because of your lower spec machine. You may want to consider upgrading your system with those payware bucks before you venture further. Simply upgrading your video card would make a world of difference. You can certainly get a 256m video card for around $100. I think that's your best bet now. Then, after that, you can enjoy your payware purchases even more. JM2Cgood luck with your deliberations

Guest Rockcliffe

Can't help you with the B200 although a friend of mine has both and much prefers the Beech 1900.I do have the Beech and must say it is outstanding and great fun to fly. I never really appreciated the significance of a good flight model until I had flown the Beech -- smooth as silk. The only plane I've logged more time on in FS is the venerable Dreamfleet Archer and the default C172.BlairCYOW

Upgrading just my video card is really a waste right now. My mobo Intel 845 chipset) only supports 4X AGP and BIOS is rather limited. A newer video card just doesn't make sense, that will be for the next release of FS. Like I said, I'm satisfied with my performance for the system I have.My question was really more directed to the ease/stasification of the companies offering these products & not my hardware.Thanks for the replies thus far, it appears both companies are reputable and reliable. BTW I have been leaning to the B1900 but am also tempted to get more indepth with something like the B200. Still haven't decided.ThanksJim

Guest aca_dia

[q]Like I said, I'm satisfied with my performance for the system I have.[/q]I think the reason the video card suggestions came up is because you will likely not be so satisfied with your performance when using higher end commercial add-ons. Based on that alone I would still push you towards the 1900 with your system specs.

I enjoyed the PMDG 1900 but just wished it was more complete. I understand it was made to be a less expensive add-on but that kills it in a head to head with the aeroworx b200. That little airplane has everything. Almost every switch works and it flies a lot faster than the 1900d and looks much better. Hopefully pmdg will release a service pack to upgrade it allowing more features and more switches, its just too simple compared to the tons of aircraft coming out now. Be warned, this may be your first payware purchase, but it probably won't be your last! Then you'll want the pmdg 737, dreamfleet 727, etc etc