Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

Is there a program to help me taxi and not get lost at airports?

I agree that one can simply look at a taxi diagram and look for signs, but I also know that some folks have difficulty with signs at some default airports. I do not use VATSIM, but I've heard anecdotes where VATSIM controllers have admonished pilots who did not follow the taxi path which was instructed.

Having said that, it would be interesting to learn if any of the recommended programs allow one to type in the instructed route and then be given a moving map to get there.

Rob

I do not use VATSIM, but I've heard anecdotes where VATSIM controllers have admonished pilots who did not follow the taxi path which was instructed.

The "get it right or everyone is going to laugh at you" method is a very effecting teaching tool.

I think you might be in exactly the same phase in your FSX level of experience before I started using ground instructions and following the taxiway signs and ditched the progressive taxi command.

I think that the progressive taxi feature in FSX is a cheat that makes one complacent and not realize that yes, getting to the right runway by the proper route can actually be part of the fun, immersiveness, and actually a skill that getting comfortable with may actually translate into real world awareness one day :)

Once you understand the nomenclature of the signs, they are easy to read.  I find that if I get confused at a taxiway intersection, I'll just slow to a crawl, or stop, and use the zoom to look at signs farther out and to my left and right and get my bearings or validate my position.  Using my ipad and an airport chart makes things even simpler, and the most powerful tool of all?  Being very familiar with the airport :)

I fly out of LAX, SFO, JFK, and ATL very often, and those airports are so familiar to me that I can very often be at a particular gate, Have ground tell me to taxi to the active runway and I can recite the route to get there in my head and visualize what it looks like before ground says it.  It's just like you knowing your neighborhood streets like the back of your hand and being able to drive to your local supermarket with you eyes closed :)

Once you get confident that airports are typically clearly marked for taxiways, and how to read them, you can make your way about even unfamiliar airports relatively easily, and use the airport chart if you get lost instead of the progressive taxi cheat...

If its any consolation, I was listening to LiveATC.net and a ground controller was talking to another pilot about how a southwest jet pilot aouldn't find his gate, was hopelessly lost, and "All screwed up" so it can happen to anyone I guess :)

David Obando

Home Airport KSFO
System: Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2, Intel I9-13900KS Watercooled, Asus Maximus Z690 Extreme Motherboard, 32 Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600, ASUS RTX 4090 OC Edition, 4Tb NVME m.2 Array (2Tb x 2), Aorus FV43U 43" Display (144Mhz), Corsair Ax1600i powersupply, Marvel AQC107 10Gb Network adaptor, Comcast 1Gb Internet Service, Corsair 7000D Airflow Case 7x140mm, 4x120mm cooling fans.

I think there actually is a program for this...

http://secure.simmarket.com/dbs-studio-airport-gps.phtml

I've never used it. I just remembered that I had seen it. Looks to be exactly what you want

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!  That's IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think this is a nice solution, because the electronic flight bag software in real aviation would have software akin to this, or at least the airport diagram would be on a screen in front of me with an EFB.  I agree with what you all said about reading the charts, as I have done a lot of this in the past, but most of my current  charts are now on my Kindle Fire and are not always the clearest to read as far as the taxiways go, so this tool would help me a great deal.  Thank you all!

Chris Catalano

Guest Mik75

+1 for Aivlasoft EFB. It's much more than a moving map that can be very helpful while taxiing on big airports (it even shows you the vector to the active runway). It helps you choosing the correct SIDs, STARs, transitions, shows other traffic, online network traffic & controllers, creates charts for your flight, based on the installed Navigraph cycle, etc. It can be perfectly used with flight planners like PFPX, online planners like Route Finder, etc. It's really worth every cent.

You don't need modern utilities for taxi... It's not that difficult to learn it... If you get lost at airport, then, how lost would you get in the air? :)

Guest Mik75

It's not too hard to get lost on airports like KJFK, LFPG, etc. There must be a reason why modern airliners offer moving maps for the airport and it's taxiways on their ND or installed with an EFB. So many online pilots (and real life pilots too) have a hard time finding their way to the gate or to the active runway, especially when visibility gets low or at night.

It could be true. But normally if you get lost it's usually due to some external reason such as disorientation or a little chitchat in the kabin.

I fly mostly inter CIS flights and the airports aren't that huge so fortunately I'm not flawed with that problem

Guest Mik75

And don't forget that there are always two pilots on board, so one is always able to concentrate on the chart. We have to do all at the same time, plus talking to ATC while flying online. I find it very useful to have the Aivlasoft EFB assisting me with its moving map. Especially on airports I don't visit that often.

I see... It might be in handy. As for me personally I don't use any modern equipment as I simulate flights made in the 80s. It provides a real challenge though, but problems happen :)

Guest Mik75

Yeah, you're right! I like flying the Coolsky DC-9, or the FJS 727 in XPX. Flying from A to B in a vintage airliner by using VORs and NDBs, and then using an EFB software to navigate on ground, is kind of cheating and just doesn't fit very well! ;-)

Exactly, this is what I mean :) If you have trouble to navigate I don't really see the problem though in using a modern computer. I mean, we could just simulate, that the copilot is navigating the airport and the computer is his "mind" :P

P.S In these Soviet airlines we use VORs, NDBs (ark), RSBN (Soviet short range VOR), NVU (Soviet INS like system). It's really fun :)

To get back on topic, I see you have to "install it on your aeroplane's panel".  I believe more complex add-ons like those from PMDG sometimes have all the slots filled.  Anyone had problems with this, particularly the 737NGX?

ngxu_banner.png

Here is a cool Follow Me car, works with all airplanes except Heavy. It can not find Heavy gates or parkings.

It is for free.

http://www.fscaptain.net/

Press File Exchange under Navigation on left side

Then Utilities Extras and Fixes

The file is (do not recall) FollowMe2_final.zip or FollowMe2_finalE.zip

Take both and check them out. All you need to know is the Gate or parking number.

Then just follow the car. I use it quite a lot. You can also use it to get to the RW from Gate.

/Per

Per W Sweden

I think there actually is a program for this...

http://secure.simmarket.com/dbs-studio-airport-gps.phtml

I've never used it. I just remembered that I had seen it. Looks to be exactly what you want

It is a loser...sometimes it works, sometimes it will not. I uninstalled/reinstalled it 5-6 times and finally gave up. Tried tech support and got exactly the same response no matter how much info I provided.

They never could get it to install for me.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg