Sign in to follow this  
Kilo60

Does DX10 level the playing Field for FSX?

...or Vista with and without the update. I'm not sure that any test is even needed, Chris, as that change will be in the W7 OS - which is (almost) universaly used - yet we still continue to experience the DX9 OOM issue - so it doesn't work very well. I just accept that has made some improvement - but not enough for FSX to become "immune".

Switching gears to DX10 - I can't say that in no case will there be any OOM when using DX10, but I can't remember seeing a single one in the eighteen months that we've been using the repaired DX10 api, and that (just speculating here - no facts) because of Steve's recent progress (and resulting increase in his understanding of the DX10 side of FSX) - it is quite likely that we shall be rid of all of the DX10 issues in the near future: i.e. we will be using FSX/DX10 exactly the way in which the ACES Team envisaged it.

Even in its present state, the impression I get from using FSX/DX10, is that it is much more stable than when using DX9, where one is (was!) forever twiddling with "not very predictable" cfg and Inspector settings: it does not consume such an amount of VAS that an OOM is even close to occurring, and the general "feel" is that is is considerably smoother - right down to 17 - 18 fps. We now have some very good backward compatibility: rarely does one find stuttering: Bloom and cockpit shadowing works, and is controllable, and apart from some issues with multi-monitor modes where the user wants fullscreen on one display, with other displays presenting individual 2D windowed-mode displays -  my gut feeling is that for the average - even sophisticated simmer - FSX/DX10 is the way to go - at the very least until LM gets their P3D dilemma's sorted out, (and folks will get past the EULA phobla..)   :Thinking: 

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Defnately a must have. The visuals, the performance are all flawless. I do still on occasion get the odd oom, only when flying long 8 + hour trips in the pmdg 777, and only in high dense airports such as fsdt klax, ohh and I have my traffic set to 100% so that's prolly why.

But it doesn't bug me because what I love about pmdg is that I can save my flight at critical points during the flight, ex. on approach. And if fsx crashes, I just load it back up and finish the flight.

And for the people that are getting frustrated with p3d v2 and it's bugs, including myself, Steve's fix offers pretty much the same effects as in p3d v2, just missing the cockpit shadows.

...or Vista with and without the update. I'm not sure that any test is even needed, Chris, as that change will be in the W7 OS - which is (almost) universaly used - yet we still continue to experience the DX9 OOM issue - so it doesn't work very well. I just accept that has made some improvement - but not enough for FSX to become "immune".

Switching gears to DX10 - I can't say that in no case will there be any OOM when using DX10, but I can't remember seeing a single one in the eighteen months that we've been using the repaired DX10 api, and that (just speculating here - no facts) because of Steve's recent progress (and resulting increase in his understanding of the DX10 side of FSX) - it is quite likely that we shall be rid of all of the DX10 issues in the near future: i.e. we will be using FSX/DX10 exactly the way in which the ACES Team envisaged it.

Snip

Totally agree Paul,

Im sure the experience without this fix (if it is working in DX9) would be worse but we are still at the limits of what DX9 can do. The Fixer goes a long way to minimising this issue, and if i could sort out my cloud fps issue it would be turned on all the time!

Lets all cross our fingers that P3D goes 64bit and then we can all keep the check marks enabled in the Scenery Configuration and fly to our hearts content! :)

Chris Warner

PMDG : JS4100, MD-11, 737 NGX (Soon!)

I am a new convert to DX10. I was unable to complete long haul flights in the NGX from FSDT CYVR to T2G MMMX in DX9 due to OOM.

Since switching I have no More OOMs. I am not technical enough to explain why, I can just say getting and installing the DX10 fixer properly worked for me and I am seeing several benefits related to smoothness, water, FPS stability, and cockpit shadows in GA aircraft.

supporter.jpg

the combination of dx10 and rex4 direct has made fsx into a new beast.  Its the biggest change I have seen. 

Cut right to the chase, yes we don't get the great shadows that everybody is talking about, but with Steve's DX10 fixer, its has given fsx new life, who would have expected this 8 yrs later since the release of fsx in 2006.    Thnak you Steve and Paul.................

I don't have P3D so I'm not sure what the "great shadows" are that people are talking about with P3D.  Is it the cockpit shadows?  If so, I'm getting great cockpit shadows with FSX DX10 and Steve's Fixer.  For example, I'm getthing great (distinct and not jagged) cockpit shadows with the default C172. 

Well hey thanks for all the posts on this.  Helped me to make my decision to go forward with DX10. Somewhere in all of the above information is where my rig and I will sit.  If I can get more out of what I have that will be great for another year or so.  

Then?  New Rig, this one goes to the kids and Off to P3D.

Thanks Guys!

Respectfully,

Jet

I don't have P3D so I'm not sure what the "great shadows" are that people are talking about with P3D.  Is it the cockpit shadows?  If so, I'm getting great cockpit shadows with FSX DX10 and Steve's Fixer.  For example, I'm getthing great (distinct and not jagged) cockpit shadows with the default C172. 

.. and for AndreRotate ( just missing the cockpit shadows.) Page 66, entitled "Enabling VC Shadows" you need to enable the specific aircraft from the DX10 Toolbox.

Meanwhile Steve is doing some intense work on enabling proper VC shadowing for commercial airlines, like the NGX.

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Paul,  I went to the toolbox and clicked on Aircraft and then clicked on "Turn on VC Shadows", but it isn't clear to me what to do next.  Where do we find the "interior" that we're supposed to choose.   Could you please describe what we do once we get to the Turn on VC Shadows part.

Thanks,

Jim 

Meanwhile Steve is doing some intense work on enabling proper VC shadowing for commercial airlines, like the NGX

Keeping my Fingers Crossed for this!!!

Chris Camp

Paul,  I went to the toolbox and clicked on Aircraft and then clicked on "Turn on VC Shadows", but it isn't clear to me what to do next.  Where do we find the "interior" that we're supposed to choose.   Could you please describe what we do once we get to the Turn on VC Shadows part.

Thanks,

Jim 

Here's a description of the process from Paul in another thread: 

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/435803-question-about-vc-shadows/?p=2934721

What he said!

:lol:

Keeping my Fingers Crossed for this!!!

I just went ahead last night Kilo, and started the process myself and the process took at most an hour.  I also opted to purchase and download Steve's Fixer.  I did so because I wanted to make sure things were done right. 

BUT 

There are MANY many neat adjustments you can make with Steve's Fixer.  Well well worth the money and a lot less aggravation.  

My concern was doing this process only to mess up in one area and then end up pouting because I forgot to do something.    LOL

Well the guide here and Steve's instructions on the program really take the guess work out of it.  Which is what I needed.

Go for it.  I am not finished with the final touches yet but on first run it was great.  I am going to enjoy DX10 I have a feeling.

Respectfully,

Jet

I just went ahead last night Kilo, and started the process myself and the process took at most an hour.  I also opted to purchase and download Steve's Fixer.  I did so because I wanted to make sure things were done right. 

BUT 

There are MANY many neat adjustments you can make with Steve's Fixer.  Well well worth the money and a lot less aggravation.  

My concern was doing this process only to mess up in one area and then end up pouting because I forgot to do something.    LOL

Well the guide here and Steve's instructions on the program really take the guess work out of it.  Which is what I needed.

Go for it.  I am not finished with the final touches yet but on first run it was great.  I am going to enjoy DX10 I have a feeling.

Nice!

Please let me know how it performs on your system?

Chris Camp

Whoa!   It rocks on my system  You can see my system to the left of course.  I have a 2 year old and she does well.

What blows me right out of the water is how I can take that technology and FOLLOW THESE GENTLEMEN'S GUIDES AND FIXES S T E P  BY  S T E P.  An Viahla! it worked.

I was flying my Eaglesoft CX 2.0 last night from KTEB (Teterborough NJ...  The land of the RICH AND FAMOUS) down to Atlanta.  One thing that was really funny is I looked out my left and thought.  Dam.  Dairy Farmers are really mad and on strike!  Looks like the brought trains loads of milk and dumped it the ocean.   Then the snaypse fired.  OH.  Stop.  Click on water 2x low.   WOAH  wow gee cool and neat as the "night water" was the best Id ever seen in FSX.  EVER!!  

It is like it has been said all over.  If you think you are going to go over to DX10 and become Buzz Lightyear and jet off with FPS 500 or something well it wont do that.

You will get a much more stable experience and a LOT better scenery.

I found I did in fact have to then set my sliders pretty much how I had them before.  THEN  HINT  Go back into the FSX.CFG and review one last time all of your settings and dont touch a thing after that.  Leave it be.  As an example.  IF you move a slider say for AUTOGEN.  Your TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD goes back to default of TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024.  If you wanna have fun go the other way.  I did this and saw a bump in FPS.  I loaded 512 LOL and it worked!  

But do that last one just for fun.  Please guys stick to what Paul, Steve, and Jim, are telling us the really know what they are talking about here.

Respectfully,

Jet