Sign in to follow this  
davidzill

Troubles with DX10

I just decided to switch to DX10. I have a high end CPU and a 780 GTX video card so I read that DX10 may be more beneficial to me. So I downloaded Steve's DX10 Fix, installed it, and my graphics are horrible. My question is, do I need to edit my fsx.cfg? What are the best nvidia inspector settings? What are my control panel graphics setting in FSX supposed to indicate? Thanks for your help!!!

i have the dx10 fixer installed,and have no problems at all with 737 ngx or the T7,since i installed the fixer i had 0 OOM in the T7.For me it never dx9 again.

Read the dx10 notes,and do what they say,and you will have a lovely fsx with dx10.

I just decided to switch to DX10.

Why go through the hassle for a little gain here and there if any?

Got it set up, smooth as silk, FPS up about 15. It wasn't much of a hassle.

steves dx10 fixer is easy,to set up,and just a little twaek in the cfg file,and you er on the way.

i think its because it defaults anti aliasing to off as standard when you apply the dx10 fix, might be wrong but same happpened to me,runs great now

Just a little tweaking in the fsx.cfg and nvidia inspector. I will run a test flight tomorrow, but so far performance is much much better, with an ever so slight improvement in graphics. courtesy of steves dx10 fix. flytampa airports are now dx10 compatible as well

Funny, I didn't know FSX was DX9 default and have always run in DX 10 with few issues. Any time I re-installed I always ticked that box without much thought. I do now have the DX10 fixer but only since I have bought more addon airports etc.

User should read the manual for the DX10 Fixer, read the whole thing.. do not skip anything.  I also created a new separate inspector profile & backed up my FSX.cfg  'BEFORE' running the DX10 fixer.

Everything you need to know is on the DX10 forum 

I can understand why PMDG refuse to support it, read instructions 'before' making changes

Rob Prest

User should read the manual for the DX10 Fixer, read the whole thing.. do not skip anything.  I also created a new separate inspector profile & backed up my FSX.cfg  'BEFORE' running the DX10 fixer.

Everything you need to know is on the DX10 forum 

I can understand why PMDG refuse to support it, read instructions 'before' making changes

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I'm very fortunate I did, because the link for Bajote's FSX.cfg tweaker is now a dead link. I'm going to go page by page through the manual tonight, and get things fine tuned. Before, I had my internal fps locked at 30fps, and it rarely achieved 30fps (NGX, REX, GEX, UTX, Flytampa and FTX airports, maxed out settings. I ran a quick benchmark flight out of FTX's KBZN with real weather, light bloom on, maxed out settings, here is my performance (I locked it at 40FPS): 

2014-03-25 05:50:44 - fsx
Frames: 19840 - Time: 532401ms - Avg: 37.265 - Min: 22 - Max: 42

So even with known "performance killers" checked i.e. light bloom, I was still getting considerably better performance. It is said you shouldn't look too much into the FPS number is a benchmark goal, and that overall smoothness is what you should be aiming for. I am happy to say that my performance was stutter and tear free, and well as VERY smooth. 

For some reason turning on bloom will increase your FPS in DX10.  Make sure you have all bloom settings set to 60% in the tool.

Regards

Rob Prest

Guest Mik75

For some reason turning on bloom will increase your FPS in DX10. Make sure you have all bloom settings set to 60% in the tool.

Regards

Really? I'll have to give that a try tonight.

I am new to DX10, and while I love the smoothness and look of DX10 (the VC shadows alone are fantastic), some extra fps would be great!

Ok, I should be careful of what I say, people with a  770/780/TITAN are seeing more FPS with bloom on.  

Haven't checked to see how other cards perform

Regards

Rob Prest

Guest Mik75

Ok, I should be careful of what I say, people with a 770/780/TITAN are seeing more FPS with bloom on.

Haven't checked to see how other cards perform

Regards

Okay, I see! ;-)

Not a big deal, since it is very easy to activate and set up, I'll give it a go tonight!