Sign in to follow this  
AM0593

New Laptop for FSX+Addons

Hi all!

Im new on this forum and Id like to have your opinion about Alienware 17 vs asus G750 as, after a good search on google, Ive come up with this two gaming laptop for fsx.

I know that with the same price I could get a destkop with propable better perf

Hi all!

Im new on this forum and Id like to have your opinion about Alienware 17 vs asus G750 as, after a good search on google, Ive come up with this two gaming laptop for fsx.

I know that with the same price I could get a destkop with propable better performance, but as I travel a lot It must be a laptop and as I will ise it also for work the price is not a problem. 2000$ os my maximum. Now, the biggest difference between the two are.

ASUS G750:

I7 4700HQ 2.4-3.4GHz 4the generation

12 GB RAM DDR3

Nvidia 860M 2G DDR5

Windows 8 64bit

Alienware 17

I7 4800HQ 2.4-3.4 GHZ 4th generation

8GB DDR3L

Nvidia GTX765M 2G GDDR

Windows 7 64bit

Now, as the price is almost the same what do you think will rul smoother with a couple of addon like nxg, q400, Carrnado and scearies like Orbit and AEROSOFT and rex and ute?

Is the differrnce in ram going to affect the simulation?

Do you suggest windows 8 or 7?

Thanks in advance

FSX is a pretty old programme written in the days of single core CPUs and doesn't make anything like proper use of modern hardware. Therefore I'd say there won't be much difference between the two systems as far as FSX is concerned.

From what I've read the new Nvidia GTX800 series are looking very nice - especially for laptops as they've apparently made the cards much more powerful but cut down quite dramatically on the power consumption and therefore heat. Whilst I don't think you'll see a difference between a GTX765M and a GTX860M in FSX, you likely will find the GTX860M is better for stuff like P3D2 or XP10. I'd go for the Asus in this case.

FSX is a 32bit programme and will never use anything like 8 or 12GB RAM, so there's no difference there. If you run XP10 then it will use all the RAM you've got available.

Windows 7 vs 8..... in terms of performance in FSX there's no real difference between them. Windiws 8 under the hood is actually a more streamlined and efficient Windows 7. There is a very annoying bug for FSX in Windows 8 where a USB joystick will disconnect after some time, you can do a search of the Avsim forums for more information. If you go down the WIndows 8 route I highly recommend you head over to Stardock and buy "Start8" which in my opinion is by far the best way to get the old Windows 7 style start menu back into Windows 8 and allows you to totally circumvent the new Windows 8 UI that caused so much angst. To be fair though if you want to avoid any potential USB joystick headaches I'd use Windows 7 instead.

Finally, on a purely subjective note based on my own experience, I was disappointed with the build quality of the only Alienware laptop I ever owned - an M15x in 2008. Given the premium price I found the materials and finish to be rather cheap and was most disappointed when one of the screen hinges started to come apart after less than a year.

For flight simulation I strongly suggest Windows 7 64bit. That's the operating system to go.

From those 2 you've posted I'd go with the Alienware because of the better graphics card. As EngineRoom said, those 12GB of RAM won't make much of a difference to FSX since it's a 32bit application. They might make a difference if you do a lot of background stuff while flying, but this should be avoided (whenever you fly, close every other application not related to your flying and 8GB should be enough).

Also, a good piece of advice: Don't set up your flight simulator rig on a laptop. Will save you a lot of trouble and headaches. I understand you need a laptop because you travel a lot, but you should seriously consider getting a home-based computer as well for all your flight simulation. If your company will cover the cost of the laptop, that's money you save to buy a home PC :). Furthermore, it's a good idea to have a laptop while flying on the main computer in order to run everything non-FS related on the laptop (browsing, movie, music, etc.)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Which exact model were you looking at?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231088

This one would run FSX pretty well. But it's not cheap.

Seems there's some differences like Alienware uses IPS LED meaning more clarity and viewing angle while Asus uses TN display generally with better response time better for gaming

The slower G750 had a 5400 RPM HDD which really would slow you down IMHO. But the nicer g750 models seem to have a 256 GB SSD.

On the high end both brands looks very good but pricey.

Have you looked into a lesser known brand that makes custom laptops? Something like Sager? They seem to be the underdogs but make nice products - a coworker just got one and he loves it

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=category_browse&selected_cat=special

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks a lot fo the quick replays, I think I will go for the alienware. I cant wait to try this type of computer and fsx as well as I come from fs9. I just hope it works fine with scenaries like orbtx and pmdg planes. Do you know a good manual to tweak the fsx file to get better performance?

Thanks a lot fo the quick replays, I think I will go for the alienware. I cant wait to try this type of computer and fsx as well as I come from fs9. I just hope it works fine with scenaries like orbtx and pmdg planes. Do you know a good manual to tweak the fsx file to get better performance?

Just google: "The FSX computer system NickN" and you should come up with the "Bible".

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

Hey when you posted you made two topics - I responded in the other one.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hey when you posted you made two topics - I responded in the other one.

Not a problem. I merged the topics.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10