Sign in to follow this  
airlinerpilot

Fsx framerates drop dramatically when AI traffic is installed?

Hey there.

I have always been a solid fs2004 user but as i have a decent PC i decided to give FSX a try. After tweaking around with the default settings, installing service packs and using an additional booster program. I was able to get FSX running a smooth 60fps in all areas of the game. I installed the project airbus A380 and didn't have any loss of frame rate at all. I was excited to begin installing add-on's to get going on a flight. 

Sadly, after i installed world of ai my frame rates dropped. I am not used to playing a flight simulator below 60fps and i am disappointed as i have a good spec PC. Is there any fix to this at all? The exact same traffic pack goes ultra smooth on high settings in FS2004 so why it makes such a huge impact on fsx is strange. I dont really want to upgrade my PC if it's not going to make much of a difference. Fsx is an old game and i do not understand why a modern PC is struggling with it. Here are my PC specs. 

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - Fresh install 

Nvidia GTX 560ti 1GB Gddr5 ram 

Intel i7 2600k overclocked to 4.3ghz

16GB Corsair vengeance ram

250GB Corsair SSD 

60GB corsaie SSD 

z68xp-ud3p gigabyte motherboard

Adding anything like AI aircraft, Upgraded photo-real airports, Payware aircraft will

reduce your framerates.  Try a flight into or out of KLAX with these upgrades and just be

happy if it runs smoothly.  Be thankful for anything over 25 FPS in High density

situations.  I don't know how long you been running FSX but it's WAY more CPU intensive

than any other Flight Sim like FS2004.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Mind that addon AI traffic can be up to 4x times higher than default AI traffic. So traffic sliders set to 15 - 25% would be a good idea.

And frame rates higher than 30 fps aren't really required. Ensure a "solid" 30+ fps and you're good to go.

I am not used to playing a flight simulator below 60fps and i am disappointed as i have a good spec PC.

FSX is not the simulator for you if you can't accept framerates lower than 60fps in highly detailed environments. For the record, 20fps is perfectly fine as far as I am concerned. I have no trouble whatsoever controlling a simulated plane at that framerate.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

If you are seeing 60fps you are wasting a lot of computing power!

You should limit frames to a max of 30 to 32 depending on if you use vsync. This way you will see better smoothness in the sim.

Ai traffic is pretty much the heaviest addon in fsx, and will simply kill it on most hardware, especially in combo with other addons.

Like a previous poster said, with most of the ai addons, a slider setting of 20% equals a slider setting of 100% standard ai traffic. I have a better system than you, and still never go any higher than 35ish%, which already fills up large airports insanely.

Running MyTraffic with the live traffic schedules in the normal hvy populated areas, NY,LA,London etc...I use max 10% airliner settings. Besides the airports being jammed you cannot even get a word in edgewise with ATC.

On another note your freeway traffic settings if too high will bring your system to a halt.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Sadly, after i installed world of ai my frame rates dropped.

Don't forget that WoAI traffic was designed for FS2004 and (generally) does not use FSX optimised models, which can hurt your FPSs.

Do some 'googling' on FSX optimised AI and then start the long conversion process...

Regards