Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Upgrade to SSD - advice please!

I'm considering dropping some cash on an SSD, as I'm really frustrated with massive loading times and I'm also convinced my HDD is possibly contributing to the long amount of time it takes to render terrain textures sharply when I am panning around in spot view.

Obviously this is going to be a massive undertaking to reinstall my FSX complete with mesh, global, traffic packages, 50+ payware airports, weather software....etc etc, so I'm looking for some assurance from others who have gone HDD>SSD that it will make a big impact in terms of sim loading times etc.

Also, I'm only planning on installing FSX onto this drive, it will be exclusively for FSX. But I don't know whether it would be best to install add ons such as flight planning, weather, etc on to the SSD or should that also be kept seperate on the HDD?

Appreciate any help folks

Many thanks

I have 4 SSD's I'm a bit addicted, it won't make FSX better but will improve load times FSX should be installed on a seperate drive anyway. I would recommend not loading SSD over 60% flight planners I have are PFPX and that is on a networked PC. I have Samsung Evo SSD drives they are great. Don't expect miracles but they are better albeit more expensive than standard drives. Go for a 1tb if you have the funds as eventually you will fill it :)

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

Thanks. How much difference does it make to your loading times? If I have just turned my PC on sometimes it can be several minutes from clicking the FSX icon to getting the flight started, and it just drives me mad!

Especially when tweaking or whatever, when you are moving from area to area using the airport selection, it drives me bonkers!

That all depends on how much you have installed really ie Scenery/ Aircraft, there's a freeware program called Scenery Config editor install that and only activate the scenery you need for the flight, note always leave fsx default activated. That helps to. You should find it doesn't take minutes Maybe 20-30 secs but as I said depends what aftermarket sceneries you have installed photoscenery etc.

Wayne HART

That all depends on how much you have installed really ie Scenery/ Aircraft, there's a freeware program called Scenery Config editor install that and only activate the scenery you need for the flight, note always leave fsx default activated. That helps to. You should find it doesn't take minutes Maybe 20-30 secs but as I said depends what aftermarket sceneries you have installed photoscenery etc.

Ok thanks. On occasion it can take me a good 4 or 5 minutes, especially if I've just loaded the PC and sim for the first time.

Did you notice a big change in general FSX loading / response times when going HDD-SSD? Not talking about performance in FSX re frame rates etc, but general load times etc.

Yes I did notice it, it certainly won't take 4-5 mins lol

Wayne HART

Yes I did notice it, it certainly won't take 4-5 mins lol

Thanks. I'm actually now considering buying two x SSDs, one for FSX and one for Windows and all other programs.

Yep my c drive is a 500gb SSD and my fsx is 1tb :)

Wayne HART

Thanks, appreciate your help!

Am I right in thinking that all I will need to connect the SSD is a SATA cable? I already have spare 2.5" drive bays in my case, so presumably it's a simple case of disconnect existing hard drive, connect new SSD to the motherboard with a SATA cable, and then install the OS on the SSD?

I'm not an IT guy so even this simple task is quite daunting for me!

MDF86 ... loading times can also be adversely affected by aircraft and liveries.  The more you have the more extended the loading time,  particularly if you have loads of AI.  In my experience these have a greater impact on loading than scenery,  landclass or 3rd party mesh.

Yep you can uncheck show variations and it seems to help but maybe that's just when opening the aircraft selection screen.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |