Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Join a STAR in the middle

Hi all,

Something I've been wondering about.  I want to join a STAR at a fix in the middle.  I think I've seen it in RW flight plans.  How do you file that?

As an example: The BAYVU 3 Arrival at KSAN.  I want to file SLI then join the STAR at HUBRD.

Gregg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

In the fmc choose the runway and star.. On the legs page, go to the HUBRD fix and select it. Past it after your SLI fix wich will past the star from HUBRD on to the runway, without adding all the other stuff before HUBRD

The question is how to file that in flight plan, not how to manage the navigation computer to follow that desired path.

I don't know if you can do that in US. IRL office that accept flight plans (we call it ARO) would confirm if FP is valid and accepted by each ATC unit you pass through.

I'm almost sure that in Europe you cannot do that as Eurocontrol would reject such a plan.

Something I've been wondering about. I want to join a STAR at a fix in the middle.

What kind of aircraft are you using Gregg?

-Rob

I was planning on the Turbine Duke.

Ok.

The problem I see with filing that: the two transitional routes (from  SXC and LAX)... the MEAs are FL180 / 16,000MSL. Not so much a problem for the T.Duke depending where you are coming from.  However, there is a mandatory speed of 210kts at KLOMN which exceeds the T.Duke Vne.

What I would suggest... there are routes know as "Tower Enroute Control" routes listed in the back of the Airport / Facility Directory.  There is a section "Los Angeles Area" that lists a routing to San Diego: SLI SLI171R ALBAS V25 REDIN V165 SARGS.  Hopefully that would work for what you are looking to do.  A few more miles, but not bad.  See what you think of that...

Short article from Flying Magazine that describes Tower Enroute Control:
http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/tip-week/tower-en-route-control

You can always file what you want.   ATC will clear you what they want you to do.

To do what you are wanting to do I would file:    SLI HUBRD BAYVU.BAYVU3

as the base STAR is the BAYVU3 which starts at BAYVU. 

Since you want to join at HUBRD then you simply file SLI HUBRD BAYVU  to get to the BAYVU3 arrival.

To be honest, I'd just skip HUBRD and just file SLI BAYVU.BAYVU3 as SLI HUBRD and BAYVU are all on the R-131 off SLI.