Sign in to follow this  
Jessyboy

I'm Disappointed

Being objective here, the one major advantage that P3d does have over FSX is an active development cycle. This sim is going to continue to evolve and get better as time goes forward. I will say that with SLI enabled my results have been VERY positive so far. I can't wait until Nvidia and P3d can work together to get a SLI profile prepared.

SLI will be the performance game changer. Btw, I just reinstalled my OS after adding a second GTX 680 classified. I have not installed FSX yet. 

Great, thank you- this helps.

As many have posted, how about you give it try and come to a reasonable conclusion yourself; many times emotion can get in the way of an objective comparison. LM's 60 day haggle free money back offer is generous.

Thank you...I would definitely  like to try it. The thing is that  I have sensed I will need  tweaking and tweaking and fixing here and fixing there..Plus pay a monthly fee? ,  (in the past 5 years I've had enough tweaking with FSX), that's why I haven't done it. So, I am looking for those who use it to "convince" me. Honestly so far, I'm not. I guess I'll have to wait a few years until there's stronger positives than my current DX-10  @ 5.0Ghz,  averaging 26fps on very heavy scenery and a/c- and Sweet Fx, ASN, REX, ORBX, and you name it!

Thank you...I would definitely  like to try it. The thing is that  I have sensed I will need  tweaking and tweaking and fixing here and fixing there..Plus pay a monthly fee? ,  (in the past 5 years I've had enough tweaking with FSX), that's why I haven't done it. So, I am looking for those who use it to "convince" me. Honestly so far, I'm not. I guess I'll have to wait a few years until there's stronger positives than my current DX-10  @ 5.0Ghz,  averaging 26fps on very heavy scenery and a/c- and Sweet Fx, ASN, REX, ORBX, and you name it!

There's no monthly fee for the Academic version. And there's a lot less tweaking than you 'sense'. Many people are working just fine with only AffinityMask added to their CFG.

There's no monthly fee for the Academic version. And there's a lot less tweaking than you 'sense'. Many people are working just fine with only AffinityMask added to their CFG.

This, and they're planning to eliminate the need for that tweak in Prepar3D 2.3

I guess I'll have to wait a few years until there's stronger positives than my current DX-10

So exactly how are you getting DX10 to work in FSX without any "tweaking"?  How do you get a processor to 5Ghz without any "tweaking"?

No one is trying convince you, you came to us, we didn't go to you.

Based on your comments you've obviously not watched the video's I linked ... you stated there is no water animation when one of my video's clearly shows the water animation.  If I were to hazard a guess, this thread is nothing about convincing you of what P3D offers ... it's about your love of FSX and fear that 3rd party developers will move away from the platform -- does that sound little more accurate?   :Hug:

If this thread is really about fear, don't worry, yes many 3rd party devs will eventually move away from FSX, but it's going to be a very slow and long process (think several years) just as it was with FS9 to FSX.

Cheers, Rob.

The thing is that I have sensed I will need tweaking and tweaking and fixing here and fixing there..Plus pay a monthly fee?

I have done no tweaking at all apart from move the sliders to suit my hardware.

No monthly fee either, where do you get your info from, it seems a bit out of date?

I think there are plenty of people here who can remember October 2006 or July 2003. Some things don't change  :P

I think it came as a real shock to us all when MS closed down Aces in 2009. Lots of people were looking around and seeing a very bleak future for home flight simulation. When Lockheed announced P3D a lot of people saw it as the only way forward, especially given the direction Flight was taking and that feeling was reinforced when Flight failed. P3D has been hyped hugely by the community and a massive amount of expectation has been placed on it. This is because most of us have spent the last seven years cramming ever more complex addons into an increasingly obsolete platform that was built for hardware that never materialised. To many the thought of continuing to chase our own tails with FSX is unbearable and therefore P3D is the only future, the bright shining hope of the hobby that will lift us all from the FSX doldrums. It's been elevated to almost messianic status by some.

The comment above about the P3D Kumbaya has more than a ring of truth to it and I get the feeling the P3D developers could put a DX11 tesselated xxxxx on our screens and some would still sing its praises and circle the wagons if someone raised a criticism. This is unfortunately the reality of the community as some of us get way too emotionally invested in our chosen sim.

In times like this objectivity is the first casualty.

I've written before that I think a lot of people are comparing a fresh install of P3D2.2 with hardly any addons, seeing how fast it runs compared to their two year old FSX installation creaking under its own weight of all sorts of addons and are coming to some skewed conclusions. The real litmus test will be when P3D2 gets some of the heavyweights running in it. And no, the QualityWings Avro/BAe is not a heavyweight, nowhere near the same league as the PMDG 737NGX or 777X.

I've got a vanilla FSX/DX10 on my system, as well as a vanilla P3D2.2. I did a side by side comparison and found right here right now there is very little to choose between them in terms of performance. When I looked into the new eye candy in P3D2, I found some of the improvements were very significant and welcome, some less so. What I also found was they come with some rather major performance caveats.

My personal conclusion is that P3D2 doesn't live up to the hype, and doesn't currently bring enough to the table to entice me away from FSX, which remains my primary sim because of its much larger choice of available content. P3D2 remains on my system as one to watch, given it's in active development it's entirely possible it will continue to improve and add new features that interest me. Should third party developers start producing significant amounts of content that takes advantage of those new features then I could see myself at some point using P3D2 as my primary sim.

But not yet.

To me, it's kind of like the mental calculus that one goes through when buying a new car.  The car you have is fine, it's getting a little old, but it's still running well.  The new model is out.  It looks good, you've read some consumer reports and there are some pros and cons.  There are some features that you wish you had.  You're a little concerned about the maintenance costs, new insurance premiums, whether you have the time and energy to deal with the process right now, argue with the fast talking salesman.  Is it something you need, right now, that's going to be practical in the snow, or are you entertaining some fantasy that it will make you more popular with the ladies, or will impress your coworkers?  You force yourself to be rational and practical, not emotional.  So you don't do anything for the time being.  When it's time to get the new car, you get the new car.   Go to P3D when the time is right.

Ya didn't watch all the videos did ya?  :wink:

Again, see here for water animation and cloud shadows (which FSX doesn't have): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3vYbTDljEo

and new one here for more water animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm3hcupPTbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml43JxP2YL8

Not as large as a 737, but just as complex.

Honestly, it sounds like you haven't tried P3DV2.x and are just coming here to comment based on other's opinions.  This is what I meant by the "attached to a platform" reference ... like my race cars says, "I'm just the messenger" (aka Morpheus) -- enjoy whatever platform(s) you like -- feeling "bad" isn't really something I do - unless I had some bad Chicken Tikka Masala.  It's all good young lady.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks, Rob. I think for now (only for now), and considering the massive amount of money, configuring, eye candy, and performance, I have with Dx-10, is more than enough to NOT make the move..Not now! It would honestly be useless for me. Trust me.  However, everyone's input has been helpful to make this determination. Trust me, my post is not about mine is better than yours or so on.. No! I am very high on having the latest and the greatest. But, if the latest will not be a huge benefit, then why get it.

So, for me it would be best to remain where I am. Same with CPU. I have my Intel 2700K running @ 5.0Ghz., stable. This thing munches at everything you throw at it in ways I never dreamed of...why move to another CPU that will only give me 2fps more? USELESS...However, I would move to one that would give me 10fps more - now that would be beneficial...See my point?  So, I'm sure with time will get there, for now I'm as happy as a child with new toy--  with my DX-10. 

Like many of you I've come a long way. Spent  well over $12,000 (or more) in building and configuring 3 generations of Flight Simulation PCs with time. And, though I have the money, it would NOT be enjoyable for me to jump to the "Next big thing" if there's no BIG improvement.

Yes it is, isn't it ;)

Ahh ok...That's good to know.

So exactly how are you getting DX10 to work in FSX without any "tweaking"?  How do you get a processor to 5Ghz without any "tweaking"?

No one is trying convince you, you came to us, we didn't go to you.

Based on your comments you've obviously not watched the video's I linked ... you stated there is no water animation when one of my video's clearly shows the water animation.  If I were to hazard a guess, this thread is nothing about convincing you of what P3D offers ... it's about your love of FSX and fear that 3rd party developers will move away from the platform -- does that sound little more accurate?   :Hug:

If this thread is really about fear, don't worry, yes many 3rd party devs will eventually move away from FSX, but it's going to be a very slow and long process (think several years) just as it was with FS9 to FSX.

Cheers, Rob.

Ohh, Rob. You're trying to engage me in an argument. I won't. My topic is not about what you mention or assume.. Please keep in mind those are only YOUR assumptions, My desire is to get a much better sim than FSX-Dx10. However, before I make the move I'm doing my homework (or research). You have enthusiastically expressed how much you love P3D- that is fine. Remember, you and I are different and my expectations could well be beyond your expectations.

Now, regarding water animation. Yes, I also have water animation at water level. that's as easy as ABC. But, I'm referring to  animation (movement) at higher than water level, altitudes.

CPU and DX-10:  Yes, that's where I am with configuring and tweaking. And, if you recall, we'ved come a very looong way tweaking with FSX, thus I ask about P3D, if it's solid or if it requires fixing here, fixing there, with a teak, tweak here....with a tweak, tweak there; everywhere a tweak, tweak. (see we almost have to sing this  tweaking thing) lol So, if moving to another sim will require a bunch of tweaking and fixing and repairing , to get 2 fps more? Nahhhh, USELESS. This is why I'm researching.

To me, it's kind of like the mental calculus that one goes through when buying a new car.  The car you have is fine, it's getting a little old, but it's still running well.  The new model is out.  It looks good, you've read some consumer reports and there are some pros and cons.  There are some features that you wish you had.  You're a little concerned about the maintenance costs, new insurance premiums, whether you have the time and energy to deal with the process right now, argue with the fast talking salesman.  Is it something you need, right now, that's going to be practical in the snow, or are you entertaining some fantasy that it will make you more popular with the ladies, or will impress your coworkers?  You force yourself to be rational and practical, not emotional.  So you don't do anything for the time being.  When it's time to get the new car, you get the new car.   Go to P3D when the time is right.

I'm telling you guys. This guy has some brains! Thanks again, sir !

I think there are plenty of people here who can remember October 2006 or July 2003. Some things don't change  :P

I think it came as a real shock to us all when MS closed down Aces in 2009. Lots of people were looking around and seeing a very bleak future for home flight simulation. When Lockheed announced P3D a lot of people saw it as the only way forward, especially given the direction Flight was taking and that feeling was reinforced when Flight failed. P3D has been hyped hugely by the community and a massive amount of expectation has been placed on it. This is because most of us have spent the last seven years cramming ever more complex addons into an increasingly obsolete platform that was built for hardware that never materialised. To many the thought of continuing to chase our own tails with FSX is unbearable and therefore P3D is the only future, the bright shining hope of the hobby that will lift us all from the FSX doldrums. It's been elevated to almost messianic status by some.

The comment above about the P3D Kumbaya has more than a ring of truth to it and I get the feeling the P3D developers could put a DX11 tesselated xxxxx on our screens and some would still sing its praises and circle the wagons if someone raised a criticism. This is unfortunately the reality of the community as some of us get way too emotionally invested in our chosen sim.

I've written before that I think a lot of people are comparing a fresh install of P3D2.2 with hardly any addons, seeing how fast it runs compared to their two year old FSX installation creaking under its own weight of all sorts of addons and are coming to some skewed conclusions. The real litmus test will be when P3D2 gets some of the heavyweights running in it. And no, the QualityWings Avro/BAe is not a heavyweight, nowhere near the same league as the PMDG 737NGX or 777X.

I've got a vanilla FSX/DX10 on my system, as well as a vanilla P3D2.2. I did a side by side comparison and found right here right now there is very little to choose between them in terms of performance. When I looked into the new eye candy in P3D2, I found some of the improvements were very significant and welcome, some less so. What I also found was they come with some rather major performance caveats.

My personal conclusion is that P3D2 doesn't live up to the hype, and doesn't currently bring enough to the table to entice me away from FSX, which remains my primary sim because of its much larger choice of available content. P3D2 remains on my system as one to watch, given it's in active development it's entirely possible it will continue to improve and add new features that interest me. Should third party developers start producing significant amounts of content that takes advantage of those new features then I could see myself at some point using P3D2 as my primary sim.

But not yet.

This type of info is what I'm looking for.. real, genuine, direct-  not fanny, nor attacking. This is good info. Thank you, sir! Much appreciated!

This type of info is what I'm looking for.. real, genuine, direct- not fanny, nor attacking. This is good info. Thank you, sir! Much appreciated!

Because it fits your agenda ?, Let me know when your FSX DX10 looks like this

sun_peeping_through.jpg

cloud_cover.jpg

Because it fits your agenda ?, Let me know when your FSX DX10 looks like this

sun_peeping_through.jpg

cloud_cover.jpg

Nope- it does not 'fit my agenda." I only need precise good and direct info which will assist me in making an intelligent decision.  If you bring me a screen-shot with cloud shadows, a light airplane, and poor terrain LOD, it will not help me.

But the clouds and shadows look pretty.. so smile.

By-the-way, your fuel is too high. if you need to land fast, you'll blow your tyres. (ok, just giving you a hard time) lol

Those are with no tweaking, straight out of the box 2.2, they are also converted to JPG's for the filesize reduction, much sharper in the Sim

All the assistance you need is to just go and get P3D, If it does not fit your needs return it, its that simple.

Don't want to spend the full amount and have to wait for the refund ? , then simply buy a One (1) Month Prepaid/Nonrecurring licence for $10

$10 will tell you far more than we can, It's pointless hanging around here asking questions when you can so easily find out for yourself.

http://www.prepar3d.com/prepar3d-store/