Sign in to follow this  
phoenixfly

Newbie! Flying Usa mostly Utx or Vector

I do most of my flying in the United States and Mexico. I use Ftx global with FSX and was wondering what addon would make the most sense in using for these areas, Utx, FTX vector or stay with FSX default roads coastline Exc. I fly during the day and at night equally. The least impact on frame rate is important of course. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Phoenix, I would go with FTX Vector for a few reasons. Firstly, and I'll state the obvious, is it is more compatible with FTX Global. Secondly, Orbx will be releasing OpenLC in the future, which will essentially enhance land class textures even further (you can look at screen shots of OpenLC EU on the Orbx forums to see what I am talking about). OpenLC will require Global and Vector to work. Thirdly, Vector is still being upgraded and at no additional charge with each upgrade. And lastly, if and when you ever make the switch to Prepar3D, you won't have to buy another license. All Orbx products either are, or soon will be, upgraded to include installation in FSX/P3Dv1.4/P3Dv2.2. You buy one license for all 3 platforms.

I can't speak about UTX as I never used it. I do know you cannot use it in P3D, according to the EULA. If you never plan to migrate to P3D, then that is a moot point.

Todd

I own utx but vector is the future so I'd buy vector. I bought utx years ago and it is a very good product but soon it will be over taken by the ftx stuff.

take care

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

UTX is a great product if you're doing your flying in the USA. Of course if you're going to fly globally then Vector is the better choice but since I do a vast majority of my flying in the USA UTX is perfect for me and Vector isn't necessary. 

OpenLC will require Global and Vector to work

Are you sure about that? Global possibly, but why would a landclass only product require a particular vector data product to work?

Are you sure about that? Global possibly, but why would a landclass only product require a particular vector data product to work?

I guess saying it won't work is a bad choice of words. Will it fit together is another question. OpenLC is a land class product, but it also includes region specific textures. How it integrates with vector data from Flight 1 I can't say.

Todd

I would definitely go with Vector. With the planned 1.2 release, where they will move from OSM to USGS data, the changes/enhancements specific to North America will be stunning. Check out the thread on the Orbx site - just amazing increase in detail and resolution.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I can't comment on the USA side of things; but for Canada UTX is miles better than Global Vector. UTX works just fine with Global textures and will work just fine with openLC and also any mesh products you use. UTX utilizes commercially licensed data sources; while Global Vector goes the freeware route.

The very best are the Orbx FTX Regions, but unfortunately these only cover a (relatively) small area of Canada.

UTX is very accurate, Vector is not. I use both so Vector does the world outside of UTX regions. It installs itself low in the scenery list so UTX will show above.