Hey guys,

Last week I got a MSi Z97 Gaming 5, a 4770K, an Asus 770 DCII OC and a Crucial BallistiX 1866 8GB ram. I was with no PC so because I really need it for work, I got the 4770k instead wait for the 4790k.

All is good compared with my old 2500k, the i7 is a beast, FSX is running fine with (finally...) all the addons together. With one click on the MSi bios I was able to jump to 4.0GHZ, temps is really good ( 49 with a 412s with 2 Noctuas in push-pull, and 2 180mm AP182 at 2500rpm in front of my Silverstone FT04BW, afer 4 hours of prime 95.), question is, I have seen that OC the 4770 is "harder" than my 2500k, really do not understand some things on my bios. Can i stay with 4.0ghz, or I´ll see a big performance increase going to 4.2-4.3?

Thanks guys.

7800X3D / 7900XTX / ROG STRIX B650-A / Corsair Vengeance 32GB 6000mhz, etc etc.

In FSX going from 4.0GHz to 4.3GHz would get you more FPS.  How much would depend on where you fly and what addons you have.  It would also help with smoothing out the sim, less microstutters.

The bottom line is if you are happy with your performance at 4.0GHz then there is no need to try for 4.3GHz unless you are into overclocking and just want to get to 4.3GHz.

Not to mention higher voltages, more heat. I didn't personally overclock my chip to the maximum it'll go. Played it safe and went somewhere in the middle. Fast enough to give a bit more performance, but I don't have it running at 1.5 volts 5 GHz and 80+ C. Not really worth it.

4GHz to 4.3Ghz is a mere 7% or so, and I'm sure you realise that 7% extra in terms of frame rate is small.

if you get 30 now , it would be 32, so a mere 2 frames per second extra.

Thanks guys, yes I'll mantain the 4.0ghz as summer is on the way and i dont have wc... Will replace my hyper 412s before going to an serious oc.

But it's not a linear increase in FSX - it never has been for me at least.... You'd be able to tell between 4 and 4.3 especially if you run third party scenery.

I went from 4.4 to 4.2 and notice a sizable difference in Orbx areas.... Especially when it comes to smoothness.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well Ryan, I carried out numerous tests and came to the conclusion it is linear.

Myself and another found no magical frequency where there was anything but a linear increase.

And of course we all also have to realize it's not just about frame rates. You get more than extra fps from overclocking and will find less stutters etc. as you will have more headroom.

Well our data differs then, welcome to FSX.

Regarding the last comment - absolutely agree. Since I turned down my OC I've noticed more stutters (and that's with my new SSD).

I think the op should go for the highest he can, within reason of course.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Fsx runs as best with fastest possibble setup, When all is ok its with FSX settings ( have headroom ) its probaly linear but if you have harder settings you get no headroom at all with lover OC with signifiant fps drops and stutters as result.

Then if you have a good GPU you need to OC to have the benefits of the card, check the GPU usage with differnt CPU clocks.

FSX is also very sensitive to mems ( CPU bound ) a Haswell system the lowest recomended speed is 2400 Cl10-11 but faster speed and lower timings ar better a prefer to run 2600mhz cl9, you need good IMC for that and not easy to find mems that run cl9 over 2400mhz.

A forgotten thing is the IMC tuning, for example  latency in the IMC it differs a lot chip to chip and if that not correct done you see no differens with cl8 or cl11 you ar probaly IMC bound.

Regarding the last comment - absolutely agree. Since I turned down my OC I've noticed more stutters (and that's with my new SSD).

You may have noticed more stutters, but the question is whether the appearance of those stutters is linear in relation to CPU frequency, or whether there is some magical frequency we can hit, that suddenly eliminates or drastically reduces stutters.

The problem with identifying stutters though is that we have no metric to measure them. Frame rate on the other hand can be definitively measured. So in regard to stutters we are left with subjective opinion as to whether we "feel" there may be more or less. Therefore it's not possible to definitively state whether the appearance of stutters is linear in relation to CPU frequency.

When I get round to it, I'll do some more tests in regard to frequency and the appearance of stutters, and provide my own "subjective" opinion.

I dont think there is a magic clock speed

The stutters typically are more noticeable with high end payware airplanes combined with addons like Orbx with PMDG etc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

I dont think there is a magic clock speed

If there is no magical frequency where stutters suddenly improve... then the improvement is a linear progression then Ryan, as I said. Which is the opposite of your comments 7 posts above.

The stutters typically are more noticeable with high end payware airplanes combined with addons like Orbx with PMDG etc

Yes they would be.

But whether the stutters are more noticeable when the sim is under load, with high detailed scenery and aircraft is irrelevant. It's whether the improvement under those circumstances as a result of overclocking, is linear or not we are debating. It is this that you disagreed with previously...

But it's not a linear increase in FSX - it never has been for me at least....

I would maintain that both frame rate, and improvements in regard to stuttering [in the scenario where the sim is suffering from stutters] is linear in terms of it's mitigation when increasing frequency.

First you disagreed, and now by stating that there is no specific frequency where sudden improvements are manifest, you seem to be contradicting yourself.

Yes I´m sure that I´ll go for 4.3-4.4 but not with my curent cooler. Things are way better (smooth) now with 4770K, than before wih my 2500k at 4.5, don´t know exactly why, as my 4770k is at 4.ghz right now....

Yes I´m sure that I´ll go for 4.3-4.4 but not with my curent cooler. Things are way better (smooth) now with 4770K, than before wih my 2500k at 4.5, don´t know exactly why, as my 4770k is at 4.ghz right now....

Dont now what mem you had on the 2500k 1600mhz ?

The IPC improvments with Haswell ,4ghz its the same as 4.8ghz with the 2500K.