Sign in to follow this  
jscott5150

so frustrated

I keep reading and youtubing and trying and getting no where. I have the Saitek usb pro yoke and throttle and rudders. When I try to take off I go straight down runway, at about 60 I start to slowly pull up. Usually it starts to climb ok but still stalls about haolf the time. Then when I do get up and start to climb slowly I stay at about 100 to climb on a steady climb I start to climb crazy fast when the speed goes up near the top or stals, or if I turn I stall or I start to climb etc. I am trying to get a slow steady climb and then stay at 3000 ft and around 90 or 100 knots. I don't know if its the yoke but I am either cliumbing or descending I can't just leave the yoke and let it stay steady. I try using trim to keep nose up or down.

I know its practice but I am and it gets more and more frustrating. Is it me, are the yoke to sensitive. How much power should I use on the throttle to take off and the cruise etc. Any and all help is appreciated

Hi j,

I don't think you're to blame, it's more than likely your setup. What aircraft are you flying, did you calibrate the joystick and are all the axes recognized in X-Plane?

Hi,

don't give up - it's just a mater of getting used to it...

Depending on the aircraft you're using, you might need to use back pressure in your stick during initial takeoff if it's a taildragger, and a bit of forward pressure on tricycle type like the C172 or the C400...  If it's a jet, then forget about this recommendations...

Start with winds calm or no wind at all.

Be prepared to use right rudder during the takeoff run to counter the prop effects. Once airborne you may also need to use aileron inputs to keep wings level. If to make things easier, you can program buttons or axis in your Saitek for rudder and aileron trim, instead of having to continuously use the manche/ yoke and pedals.

Never use abrupt controls, or throttle changes. When airborne and whenever possible, use the horizon as a reference for your pitch, and use a given point in your cowling that during turns you should try keeping at a constant "distance" from the horizon. If it get's lower, you'll gain speed and start descending, if higher you'll loose speed and you can start climbing before losing too much speed...

Just a few suggestions here, but I am sure other wil give you even more hints.

And... have you properly configured the joystick axis? Have you hit the button that saves the central position references for all axis? Are you using, maybe around 5% null zone? You can also have both the Artificial Stability and Sensitivity sliders at 50% for start...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I am using the Cessna that come with xplane. Don't understand the back pressure etc. I have the yoke programmed and calibrated and works, I have set the trim up and down on the handle but never programmed any other buttons . Never did the null or sensitivity but will try.

Thanks

In the case of the Cessna, unless you're performing soft filed takeoffs, you really don't need back pressure. At most and under crosswind conditions, forward pressure on the yoke should be used during initial takeoff run to help the nose wheel "keeping the track" along the rw, and in that case also upwind wing into the wind, meaning that you should deflect the yoke towards the side the wind is coming from, and use rudder to keep aligned... 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

J, the Cessna must be trimmed for takeoff. Once you reach 60 knots, this aircraft practically lifts itself off the runway.  This plane just wants to fly. So there is something definitely wrong with your setup. Prop and mixture lever full forward, slowly push in throttle forward to it's max, steering using the rudder pedals to stay on center line of runway. At 60 knots, gently pull back on the yoke and off you go.

Thats what I do I didn't have time to practice kids had soccer and hockey. I do pull on the yoke gentley tontake off but it usually stalls or pulls left the stalls

The default Cessna isn't really the X-Plane flagship aircraft I would base the sim on.

If you want a nice freeware GA, head on over to x-plane.org and download Morten's Piper Archer.  Easily 1 of the best freeware GA's out there.