Sign in to follow this  
TechguyMaxC

stereoscopic 3D in P3D (questions)

IMO/my experience everything renders in 3D (gets separate eye channels) in FSX out of the box EXCEPT:

1) lights (especially the RWY/TWY lights are quite a nuisance)

2) fog/haze (but clouds are full 3D!)

3) sun/moon (but you "feel" the discrepancy more than you can see it. They seem to be just infinite far objects "on layer 1". But it comes perhaps close to reality and is no nuisance at all...)

So "out-of-the-box-3D" in FSX is - with the above mentioned exceptions - quite enjoyable and flying without it is for me like a step back to the 2D panels. B)

What hardware are you using???

Nvidia 3D Vision?

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Nvidia 3D Vision?

Yes, "Nvidia 3D Vision 2" to be exact. Screen: ASUS VG278.

If I get native Half SBS and Half Over Under 3D formats running for P3D, similar to this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHDX2lGqHWA is this going to help anyone ? I'm tinkering with it at the moment, modifying the FSX version. P3D has better camera options in Simconnect, so should have some advantages over what I was able to do with FSX.

I'm suprised to hear that Nvidia 3D Vision doesn't render outside environment in 3D. I've never had the opportunity to see the Nvidia 3D quality and have been wondering how it compared with my software version.

is this going to help anyone ? I'm tinkering with it at the moment, modifying the FSX version. P3D has better camera options in Simconnect, so should have some advantages over what I was able to do with FSX.

I'm suprised to hear that Nvidia 3D Vision doesn't render outside environment in 3D. I've never had the opportunity to see the Nvidia 3D quality and have been wondering how it compared with my software version.

Sounds very promising. Great quality in the demo video, too. B)

It is generally comparable to the Nvidia 3D Vision2 720p60 resolution I use, but a bit below that... (max. V-resolution for 1080p in top/buttom mode=540p.)

I think that SBS (side-by-side) should be the better choice for less resolution degrading, as the human eye is explained to receive resolution more via the vertical number of lines/pixels. (That is why there are the anamorphic (squeezed) HD resolutions 1440x1080 (or 960x720)=h lores, v hires .)

Nvidia also offers SBS, T/B and additonally the anaglyph mode as choices for different levels of hardware compatibility. But all those three have the disadvantage of a lowerded resolution compared to the full 1080p 2x60fps left/right eye stream produced by the Nvidia hardware.

The great advantage of the SBS (and Top/Btn) 3D technique though is its independence of "upstream" hardware (e.g. Nividia 3D vision), because only the actual visual device (screen, projector, VR-device(!) ) must "know what to do" with the incoming picture at the end.

While Oculus VR e.g. uses an anamorph (wide view angle) side-by-side technique, the use of an unsqueezed picture (like generated by your software) would suit a large group of "3D ready"-users out there already having screens capable of interpreting SBS and T/B 3D pictures...

Again: your approach is very interesting and gives an astonishingly good quiality! I am looking forward to hear or see more about it...

:rolleyes:

So are you volunteering to test it out vr-pilot ?

Whilst there's still some restrictions (and errors) with the Simconnect function capability, on the whole it's shaping up a lot better than the FSX version.

Full HD frame packing is something I may crack at some stage, as it's no problem for the software to produce both images on a 1920 x 2205 "canvas" set up using CRU, but there's something about the signal that my projector doesn't like and hence refuses to accept and decode it as frame packed format.

BTW, yes, I prefer SBS to OU format, but I think most passive 3D TV's are horizontally interlaced, so OU is the best format for them. The software has both options.

I am very interested in this software. I have missed 3d mode since 1.4 or whenever they went to the half windowed full screen mode. I have given up on tridef and they are now out of business anyhow.

I run an LG 3d tv which works fine in fsx still. If you are looking for testers. I volunteer to put my head in the noose.

I always run 1280x1024  which is the maximum resolution my tv will support.

Something else to consider. Way down the road I imagine.  Running the old Tridef on FSX and on p3d 1.4  I could run 3d on the LG tv and have 2d mode still on my 2nd and third monitors.

Dont ask me what the video card was doing, but it figured it all out by itself for me.

By the way, I run amd video, so dont know if your drivers work on amd or not? I have not seen any mention of it.

-Stampee

So are you volunteering to test it out vr-pilot ?

Whilst there's still some restrictions (and errors) with the Simconnect function capability, on the whole it's shaping up a lot better than the FSX version.

I would definitely like to try it for p3d. I have v2.4 installed and it would be very interesting to see if the lights will also render in 3D. (And what happens to sun/moon/stars and fog.)

Seeing your video your software seems to have good performance plus great quality (judging e.g. from the VC instruments depiction).

BTW, yes, I prefer SBS to OU format, but I think most passive 3D TV's are horizontally interlaced, so OU is the best format for them. The software has both options.

Regarding interlaced/progressiv pros and cons I am just asking myself at which framerate your software produces SBS/OU pictures. Is it the same as the FS's fps?

I use full screen external frame limitation (Nvidia inspector) with 1/3 Vsync interval (60/3=20fps) due to my mid/low end FS system (laptop). But am very satisfied with its prevailing smoothness...

Looking forward to hear from you... B)

Hello

I expect that in about a week I'll be at a stage where I'll be happy for a few people to do some testing. It's turned into a bigger re-write than I had planned.

In regards to answering a few questions....

It is totally immaterial what graphics card you run, in fact for Nvidia cards, you'll want to tell the card not to do any 3D manipulation so that it doesn't mess up what has already been done by software.

Lights render fine. Clouds look fine, but as they don't have sharp edges, they don't jump out as 3D so much.

The downside to my utility is that it does impact frame rates a bit, but I think the result is worthwhile.

Stampee - I'm concentrating on getting the one screen display running nicely first, but am having a think about the side screens. Do you run undocked views on the side screens or do you stretch the P3D window right across 3 screens and operate as a single view?

Cheers

Rich

Rich: I run two screens over and under in eyefinity mode  which are stretched. the 3rd screen is undocked for switches,flightplan,gps  things like that. the 2nd lower screen is not a 3d capable monitor, only the upper one.

When I run FSX and p3d 1.4 in tridef 3d the upper LG (3D) screen would be in 3d and the lower would be in 2d.

Surprisingly it was no problem and looked fine because normally the instruments are always showing on the lower screen, and the upper was mainly out of the cockpit view. Depending on the aircraft some things like a compass or window pillars may show, but it was never a problem for me. I am pretty easy to please.

-Stampee

Interested to try this Rich! Have tried vireio perception but cannot get it to work with prepar3d. Did enjoy using my oculus with it but ultimately it doesn't have the resolution I need so have put vr in hold until later. Be great to try your solution on a 4k 3d screen.

Chris

Looking forward to trying this Rich. Tried vireio perception but couldn't get it to work. Flown for a while using oculus but shelved it for now as it doesn't gave the resolution that I need. Fly with a 4k 3d TV now so would love to see what it can do on that.

Chris

Still working on it as time permits. It's summer here so programming isn't top priority for spare time, but progress is steady never the less, although I keep on thinking up new things to try / add as I work on it.

It's summer here so programming isn't top priority for spare time

Winter "up" here (EDDH) and weather is more like inside activities...

Take your time and enjoy summer! B)

P3D Native 3D

============

I have uploaded a utility called 'P3D Native 3D' to the Avsim library.

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=p3d+native+3d&CatID=root&Go=Search

The primary function of this utility is the generation of true Native Stereoscopic 3D Half Side by Side (HSBS) and Half Over Under (HOU) for 3D displays compatible with these formats.

A number of screen and camera functions can also prove useful to a 2D simulator setup.

** 3D functions**

Half SBS and Half Over Under Native 3D display.

** 2D and 3D functions **

-Setup and linking of additional screens for extended cockpit above/below/left/right. Allows one 3D screen plus extra 2D screen(s)

-Quick setup, saving and loading of additional interior (cockpit) and exterior (aircraft) cameras. Similar thing to what Ezdok will be doing, just not as good. STILL  IS WORK IN PROGRESS......

-Display text of Stall Speed No Flap/Full Flap for current aircraft, Wind Speed & Direction, Wind Speed along aircraft Z axis. This because I'm a "fly around and look at the scenery" simmer and chop and change aircraft and location so often that I don't know the aircraft performance stats or what the wind is up to. Text only triggers when you're doing things that indicate that you're thinking about taking off or landing and can easily be disabled.

The 3D is generated natively by P3D using 2 cameras. It is nothing at all to do with Nvidia cards or 2D to 3D conversion tricks. The 'tricks' in this software are all to do with keeping both P3D cameras coordinated whilst you pan, zoom, change views etc. Because P3D generates both eye perspectives, the 3D result is excellent.

The custom Eyepoint cameras are a bit of a late add on. The "Spot" type external aircraft camera is a work in progress and still leaves a bit to be desired compared to the normal Spot views. This is something I'll hopefully improve over time with some later program updates. I doubt that I'll ever say that this program is "complete" or "bug free" but it will improve over time.

Ask any questions, give feedback, put forward ideas etc in this thread.

Cheers

Rich