Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

High winds takeoff

Took off from EDDF rwy 25L with heavy head winds 35 kts and i'm using ASN.

during the takeoff roll i noticed my GS was way higher than my IAS what input should i take? professional feed back please :)

Also i'll add in - check the general instructions for EDDF for navigraph it said climb at V2 + 10 how do i change it from V2 + 20 on the NGX....

Vernon Howells

Heavy headwinds and then higher groundspeed than airspeed. Sounds like a microburst. I am guessing you had some thunderstorms over you. ;)

If below V1 and you feel the take off is unsafe. Abort.

If above V1 and feel the take off is unsafe. Pray.  

First of all - how is your GS HIGHER than your IAS when you have a headwing of approx. 35 knots? This might be an indication of a windshear that results in a sudden tailwind on takeoff which is quite dangerous, 

The general procedure for crosswind takeoffs is to move the aileron into the wind at the begining of the takeoff and gradually ease off that input to compensate for the increased pressure on that wing as you are gaining speed later during the takeoff roll. As soon as you are airborne kick the rudder and point the nose into the wind in order to maintain the runway heading - just like on a crosswind approach (but the other way around, really).

Regarding your last question, which I don't understand - what do you mean by 'change it on the NGX'? 

You calculate your V2 speed taking various factors into account, such as runway condition, wind portion, engine rating, your takeoff weight etc... If the climbout procedure tells you to add 10 or 20 knots to that speed you simply add those 10 or 20 knots to your V2 speed and set this particular speed on the MCP as you climb out.

Yes thunderstorms and windshear in the area!

I kept her on the centre line but after i reached 100 kts both speeds matched again takeoff was kinda smooth and engaged CMD A at 1500 AGL.

Well my V2 was 148 and the systems commands an extra 20 kts to it so i'm in the air at 168 kts till acc height 3000 AGL

Just not sure how to change it to +10

Vernon Howells

Also during roll N1 was set for 88.3 but it advance automatically to 91 or something

Vernon Howells

Read the FCTM for crosswind takeoff. There is no rudder kicking.

Don't monkey with the V2+20.

Matt Cee

Yeah the FCTM is the source for those procedures - I should not have said "kick the rudder" it's just what works in the sim at least with my clunky hardware haha.

but EDDF instructed takeoff v2 + 10 how do i change it to that instead of the default 20

Took off from EDDF rwy 25L with heavy head winds 35 kts and i'm using ASN.

during the takeoff roll i noticed my GS was way higher than my IAS what input should i take? professional feed back please :)

Also i'll add in - check the general instructions for EDDF for navigraph it said climb at V2 + 10 how do i change it from V2 + 20 on the NGX....

SORRY it was my IAS that was higher my V1 was 144 but my GS was way lower like 110 kts is this still ok to take off and what speeds am i going by ? GS OR IAS

Vernon Howells

but EDDF instructed takeoff v2 + 10 how do i change it to that instead of the default 20

Why would the airport issue such procedures is what I want to know.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Why would the airport issue such procedures is what I want to know.

Well, it's noise abatement. 

Its in black and white.

Now can anyone answer my question lol how do i set it at v2 + 10

Vernon Howells

Hmm....never heard of a noise abatement procedure that did that. Interesting.

gqRaGK9.png