Sign in to follow this  
Raufvogel

KLGA 22 - KJFK ILS 22R

Have made a short flight KLGA 22 - KJFK ILS 22R 109.50 fuel short range
Input waypoint in LEGS: WARIN WITKN CORVT.
After interception of KJFK ILS 22R plane not in right centerline, HDG 222, would like to know why please?
KxFn9.png

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it is something to do with the scenery.

Think it is the scenery - just checked, and my default KJFK 22R  alignment is off by approximately the same margin.

After interception of KJFK ILS 22R plane not in right centerline, HDG 222, would like to know why please?

It isn't in the real world, either.

Repeat after me:

I will always check the charts.

I will always check the charts.

I will always check the charts...

Here's the Airport Diagram at 224 degrees: http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1407/00610AD.PDF

Here's the ILS chart at 222 degrees: http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1407/00610I22R.PDF

The easy way to tell you're going to have a course differential is by looking at the ILS chart.  If the LOC array is in line with the runway, they don't mark its position on the chart (with an actual symbol, though they may point to the general location).  If it isn't in line with the runway, the position is marked with a circle with a dot in the middle (or with a square around the circle if it's LOC/DME).  In the case of the ILS Runway 22R approach at JFK, the LOC array is located between 22R and 22L.  You can see the LOC depicted between the two runways in the diagram at the bottom left.

This was likely done because the "land" out beyond the end of 22R is marsh at best.  Trying to reclaim land there would've met several challenges, to include wetland remediation (if you destroy wetland, you have to create wetland somewhere else), EPA studies to ensure you're not affecting endangered species, the cost of creating a useful and stable foundation, and the cost of getting the equipment out there.

So, in the end, it was a lot easier to just create an offset ILS.  This further emphasizes the point that autolands are not the norm.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks for replying, left over i think now: first making of interception ILS 22R, switch on Heading 224°, and descent between Red/White lights, bat with the joystick (no glideslope).

Is this the right way?

Disconnect AP at MAP, then continue visual. Rumors have it there are professionals out there that have done it that way on occasion.

Danke jag heter jan, have done it again, disengaged A/P on centerline, a lot of alarm noise, during approach, the difficult landing by hand was pretty good, do not think it fine solution, so be it .. :(

You are aware that you can cancel the A/P DISCONNECT alarm by pressing the disconnect button twice in rapid succession, are you?

Re the hand-flying - with a bit of practice your landings can be just as greased as any automatic landing. Just stick with it (no pun intended) ;)

You are aware that you can cancel the A/P DISCONNECT alarm by pressing the disconnect button twice in rapid succession, are you?

Not in rapid succession, actually.  In the 777, doing so won't kill the alarm because you have to do it with at least a few seconds (2, I think) in between to ensure it's intentional.  I'm not sure if the 737 requires it.

Re the hand-flying - with a bit of practice your landings can be just as greased as any automatic landing. Just stick with it (no pun intended) ;)

Agreed.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks both of you, i will practice it later...

I have just the flight KLGA 22 - KJFK ILS 22L110.90 (last waypoint Rosly) made​​, this was more than perfect, here is heading to 224°

Sorry for the language failures  :mellow: