Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

Slow texture loading and a possible work around?

I have gotten very tired of waiting for cockpit and exterior textures on the 777 to load. The cockpit textures can take as long as 3 seconds to load. So I was messing around flipping from external to internal while taxing and noticed something peculiar. If you have spent a significant amount of time outside the cockpit and then return, texture loading (for me anyways) is painfully slow. If you switch from, say Locked Spot View to Cockpit and immediately switch back to external and then immediately back to cockpit, the textures are there 100% instantly. My question is why can it load the textures in less than a second there, but not otherwise? Hoping someone out there with technical knowledge can come up with work around possibly involving FSUIPC4. What I did for now is; assign a button in FSUIPC on my Xbox controller initial press is a left rear view and the release is the Captains cockpit view in all its glory. it doesn't have to be a cockpit view on the initial press, it was just convenient for the test. Hope this makes sense.

I have noticed the same thing. Even though I don't know anything about the underlying code in FSX, my guess is this:

After a "while", FSX unloads the textures of the view(s) you are not using. It probably does this to clear out memory which it's not using at the time.

If only it was as good at unloading textures and other stuff when dealing with scenery...