Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

CS 727 "Don't Sink" During Initial Climb?

I haven't flown the CS 727 in a while.  Wanted some practice last night and loaded her up. 

Not sure if my installation got messed up, but now I get a "Don't Sink" warning very shortly after takeoff.  I honestly can't remember if it happened before or not.

Is there a solution for this like editing the aircraft cfg?  Maybe re-install?

Are you sure you're not at stalling speed? I get that warning followed by the stick shaker if I took off right at stalling speed. I just reduce the pitch a bit just to gather more speed until that warning goes away and continue on my merry way.

'Don't sink' should only occur due to a loss of altitude during take off.  Nothing to do with the speed of the aircraft.

Rob Prest

Everything was going ok.  Aircraft was lightly loaded because I wanted to do some touch and go.  Speed and vertical speed was fine.

Do you guys have the CS727 (FS9)?

I believe you are hearing a stall warning that actually says "Don't think".  In other words, don't sit there and think about it....apply power and lower the nose....now!

It's a CS bug as mine does the same thing. I disabled the "don't sink " announcement for the 727 only. I can't remember how. Just Google the problem and you'll find a variety of easy solutions that will disable that message in the 727, keeping all other AC playing the message when appropriate.

Cheers,

Brian

I get the same announcement occasionally with the PMDG NGX and just ignore it.

Cheers

Craig

Maurice, just out of interest - under which OS do you fly the CS 727? (It's the "Legendary 727" from 2003, isn't it?)

Thanks, Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I believe you are hearing a stall warning that actually says "Don't think".  In other words, don't sit there and think about it....apply power and lower the nose....now!

The warning is 'Don't Sink'  It should only sound if you lose altitude on take off. 

Rob Prest

It's a CS bug as mine does the same thing. I disabled the "don't sink " announcement for the 727 only. I can't remember how. Just Google the problem and you'll find a variety of easy solutions that will disable that message in the 727, keeping all other AC playing the message when appropriate.

Cheers,

Brian

Great to hear.  I thought my installation went south lol.  I'll do a search.  I think there's a section in the aircraft cfg where it can be disabled.

Thanks.

I get the same announcement occasionally with the PMDG NGX and just ignore it.

Cheers

Craig

Interesting.  I don't think I've ran into that issue with the NGX, but I rarely fly FSX.

Maurice, just out of interest - under which OS do you fly the CS 727? (It's the "Legendary 727" from 2003, isn't it?)

Thanks, Harald

Hi Harald,

I'm using Win7 Ultimate.  Yup, it's the old CS Legendary 727.  I know you're a fan of the DF (I have that one too).  There are a few things I really like about the CS.  I like how you can get a pop up window of the a/p controls which makes setting the VS so much easier.  I also find that the CS version is a lot less picky when it comes to Vr and Vref.  I just go for the sweet spot of 130k (flaps 5 takeoff and 35 for landing) and it seems to work everytime. 

I spend too much time with the DF version looking up numbers on the supplied documentation.  If you found a sweet spot with regards to speed that works well overall, please let me know.

So far, the only issue I have with the CS is that I can't turn off the engines (probably a Win7 thing).  Can't do it in the VC and I don't see a pop up window for the controls.

It's "Don't think (about this callout - it's a Captain Sim aircraft)" ...   :lol:

He he.  I hear CS stuff are buggy.  This is my first CS plane.  Not bad, especially for the price.

Maurice,

indeed I asked you because I ran into trouble with the DF 727 within the last time. You may have read my post about a freezing sim when toggling the kneeboard in the DF 727 since I changed over to Win7/Professional. Although this seemed a minor problem to me at first, I did toggle the kneeboard some times "accidentally" after hours of flight, thus wasting all the time flown . Our mate Captthud pointed towards a solution - running FS9 in Windows 7 compatibility mode. But now not only the logbook wasn't usable anymore (really a minor problem as there are alternatives), but additionally my sim changed it's optical appearance, displaying the scenery with faded colours and greyish even with cleared wheather. So that I abandoned this mode again for the price of my DF 727 usable only with caution regading the kneeboard. Since then I'm looking for a new favourite plane - CS' Legendary 727 running flawlessly under Win7 could have been one if there weren't assessments judging the CS model far inferior to DF's. But it's more likely that I change over to something Soviet - Tu-134 and/or Yak-40.

Regarding speeds - I once read a statement about only three speeds to remember in a 727: 140 kts, 250 kts, very fast - and that's quite how I fly. Takeoff with flaps @ 5, landing with flaps @30 or 35 depending on runway length. I try to hold ca. 145 kts at final approach. I have to admit that as a private non-airline pilot perhaps my freedom in these aspects is a little bigger...

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Maurice,

indeed I asked you because I ran into trouble with the DF 727 within the last time. You may have read my post about a freezing sim when toggling the kneeboard in the DF 727 since I changed over to Win7/Professional. Although this seemed a minor problem to me at first, I did toggle the kneeboard some times "accidentally" after hours of flight, thus wasting all the time flown . Our mate Captthud pointed towards a solution - running FS9 in Windows 7 compatibility mode. But now not only the logbook wasn't usable anymore (really a minor problem as there are alternatives), but additionally my sim changed it's optical appearance, displaying the scenery with faded colours and greyish even with cleared wheather. So that I abandoned this mode again for the price of my DF 727 usable only with caution regading the kneeboard. Since then I'm looking for a new favourite plane - CS' Legendary 727 running flawlessly under Win7 could have been one if there weren't assessments judging the CS model far inferior to DF's. But it's more likely that I change over to something Soviet - Tu-134 and/or Yak-40.

Regarding speeds - I once read a statement about only three speeds to remember in a 727: 140 kts, 250 kts, very fast - and that's quite how I fly. Takeoff with flaps @ 5, landing with flaps @30 or 35 depending on runway length. I try to hold ca. 145 kts at final approach. I have to admit that as a private non-airline pilot perhaps my freedom in these aspects is a little bigger...

Yeah, I do remember a thread you made a while ago about it.  Sorry to hear you weren't able to solve the problem. 

I'm alright with the DF because I don't use the kneeboard feature (don't even know how to activate it lol).  The DF 727 is still, imo, one of the best planes I've flown. 

The CS can't compare to DF.  There are issues with it, but the reason I'm not complaining is because it's old and very cheap.  The lights, for example, cannot be turned on in the VC (flat 2D texture for overhead) and relies on the user to use the pop up window, same thing when you want to check the trim setting.  There are more, but not too big of a deal because I treat it like a "lite" model when I fly.

I don't think the CS is a good substitute.  I've been wanting to try some Russians too, but it's just too different because for a while now, I've been in a flying mode and not in learning mode.  One of these days I may give it a shot if I can find one with a good VC.

Have you taken a look at the Maddog or Iron Knuckles DC-9?  The DC-9 is old, so I'm not sure how it runs in Win7.  If you want something truly unique, you can try the PMDG MD-11 if you still haven't done so.  Not sure if you're into heavies.

Thanks a lot for the tip on V speeds for the DF.  140-145k should work great because I just remembered from all my flights with it, going by the charts, it usually gives me speeds in the 130's.  

I going to re-install the DF and start flying it again.  The thing that made me stop was all the time spent on looking up the charts. 

Not sure if you're into heavies.

Hi,

unfortunately not, the MD-11 is definitely too big for me. But I have an eye onto Sky Simulations' DC-9.

... some Russians too... One of these days I may give it a shot if I can find one with a good VC.

You may check Igor Suprunovs Yak-40, now freeware:

http://www.avsim.su/f/fs2004-originalnie-samoleti-40/yak-40-ex-sd-version-2-2-2-for-fs9-50079.html

with a comprehensive manual:

http://www.avsim.su/f/fs2004-originalnie-samoleti-40/rle-modeli-igorya-suprunova-yak-40-v-2-0-1-rev-17-feb-2007-fs9-50894.html?action=comments&hl=

If you really want to change to heavy learning mode, try SCS' Tu-134 v. 2 with VC. You find links to all what you need (incl. electrical system fix) here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/438272-struggling-to-fly-the-scs-tu-134a-3-look-no-further/?hl=%2Btu%26%238208134

and some more infos including screenshots here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/434495-new-tu-134-with-vc/?hl=+tu#8208134

The main problem of this plane is obviously that it lacks a manual that it needed desperately. However there are some checklist translations enabling you to start the engines and to fly at least.

Have fun!

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg