Sign in to follow this  
viper1740

Flight Simulator Is Dead, But Microsoft's Revered Game Will Be Revived Under A New Name

Full Story:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2452701/flight-simulator-is-dead-but-microsofts-revered-game-will-be-revived-under-a-new-name.html

Microsoft abandoned its revered Flight Simulator series years ago, but the underlying technology is about to make a comeback.

Dovetail Games, a company best known for the Train Simulator series, has licensed the Flight Simulator engine from Microsoft and plans to release a new game in 2015. While the game won't be an official “Microsoft Flight Simulator” release, it will be based on the same technology.

Dovetail will also re-release 2006's Microsoft Flight Simulator X through Steam. While the deal doesn't allow Dovetail to improve the game's outdated graphics, PC Gamer reports that Dovetail is working on bug fixes and a new multiplayer service. (Flight Simulator X's multiplayer had previously relied on GameSpy, which shut down earlier this year.)

Many Flight Simulator aficionados consider Flight Simulator X to be the last true version of the game, as Microsoft laid off the series' development team in 2009. A free-to-play flight simulator game, called Microsoft Flight, came in 2012, but it was poorly-received by critics and quickly abandoned by Microsoft.

Not to be outdone, Lanimar Research announced that its rival flight simulator X-Plane 10 is also coming to Steam shortly. The “ultra-realistic” simulator had previously been available on DVD only. Perhaps all this activity will lead to new golden age for airplane games that don't involve blowing stuff up.

For what it's worth, I didn't want to step on anyone's toes. Just wanted to point out that there's (quite lenghty) thread on AVSIM covering the topic.

Seems like there are a lot of third party developers still making addons for that "dead" platform.  And oddly enough there are still new ones coming out.  Perhaps it's not quite as dead as some industry pundits would have us believe.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

"While the deal doesn't allow Dovetail to improve the game's outdated graphics"

What a corporate mess as usual :rolleyes:

"While the deal doesn't allow Dovetail to improve the game's outdated graphics"

What a corporate mess as usual :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder how P3D managed to do it.

Makes me wonder how P3D managed to do it.

DoveTail only owns a License, while LM owns the source code to MS ESP which allows them to do anything they want with it.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

If dovetail only owns a license, then I guess we do not have much to expect except for a dumbed down game with massive restrictions and "bugfixes" released to the casual gamer on steam?

P3D is a safer bet, I do not expect much from the other.

If dovetail only owns a license, then I guess we do not have much to expect except for a dumbed down game with massive restrictions and "bugfixes" released to the casual gamer on steam?

No, it will most likely be good old FSX with no extra restriction and some bugfixes. 

No, it will most likely be good old FSX with no extra restriction and some bugfixes. 

Let's hope so... If they make the old good FSX take more advantage of multi core processors I'll be one of the first to buy it.

Let's hope so... If they make the old good FSX take more advantage of multi core processors I'll be one of the first to buy it.

I very much doubt it will go that far. Perhaps the uiautomation menu fix and small details like that. Nothing "core"

Full Story:

We are capable of reading your link for yourselves, without pirating it in its entirity from PCWorld's site. That's also a breach of AVSIM's TOC

We are capable of reading your link for yourselves, without pirating it in its entirity from PCWorld's site. That's also a breach of AVSIM's TOC

It's a good thing I quoted them. ;-)

when did you quote AVSIM's TOC and why didn't you comply with them?