Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

FS Slowdown with Moving Map Program

Had a strange thing happen while flying the Veneaviones 690B Commander. I was getting around 70 FPS with a really smooth flight when I pulled up the Moving Map function on the kneeboard. My frame rate took a nose dive and had a slide show that made it impossible to fly with. So I closed the Moving Map program with no improvement. Finally just shut down FS9 and started up again. My default airplane is the Dreamflee PA 28 and whereas I usually get around 27 FPS with this startup situation (on the ramp), now I was only getting 4FPS (still slide show territory). So I just rebooted the puter and everything was back to normal. I have just started using Moving Map so this is the first time this has happened to me.I thought sure that just restarting FS9 would clear up the problem but never thought I would have to reboot. Anybody else ever experience anything like this?Jim

My system specs are as follows:Athlon 64 3000 Processor512 MB of RAMRadeon 9800 Pro video card.The Moving Map images are .jpg I normally get pretty good frame rates and smooth flights with everything maxed out. This is the first add-on that has affeted my system this much. I use 2 monitors, both running off of the same video card. I moved the kneepad checklist to the second monitor.Jim

Hi.Do you have any other backgound tasks / utils ruuning?Try to convert the Map to .gif see if it helps, it may if you only have 512 MB.Try to run it Window mode or Full screen if Window now. With two mons. Full screen has some issues.Try to use Ken's Autostart and just run MSFS and the MapI run it on an old Athlon 2800 OC to 3200 with 512 and have no problems, I get about 1-2FPS loss. TV

Hi,Thanks for the tips. I do use Ken's Autostart and there are noother programs running in the background.I did some more testing and found more interesting results.I did a flight with the PA28, turned on moving map but didn't notice much of a frame hit or slowdown. So I loaded the 390B Commander and tried again. Initially I got the same results as the original problem. With the Moving Map selected, my frame rates dropped to between 4 and 11 with severe slowdown. But after leaving it alone for about a minute the frame rate slowly increased until it was back to almost 70 again and stayed. Don't know what was going on there.Maybe I don't have much of a problem after all. I am curious though as why did it take a complete computer reboot to get FS9 back in flyable condition when the original problem occured. Oh well, may never know. No biggie. Jim

Hi.XP has a bad habit to mess up the pointers when it gets overloaded / get close to max. mem. use and it has to use the swap file. Many times it will not recover until you reboot, some times you can go and change the swap size to eliminate the problem, trial and error, if it works don't fix it. TV

Guest rana

>Had a strange thing happen while flying the Veneaviones 690B>Commander. I was getting around 70 FPS with a really smooth>flight when I pulled up the Moving Map function on the>kneeboard. My frame rate took a nose dive and had a slide>show that made it impossible to fly with. So I closed the>Moving Map program with no improvement. Finally just shut down>FS9 and started up again. My default airplane is the>Dreamflee PA 28 and whereas I usually get around 27 FPS with>this startup situation (on the ramp), now I was only getting>4FPS (still slide show territory). So I just rebooted the>puter and everything was back to normal. I have just started>using Moving Map so this is the first time this has happened>to me.>I thought sure that just restarting FS9 would clear up the>problem but never thought I would have to reboot. Anybody>else ever experience anything like this?>>JimHi Jim,is that FSM MovingMap? If so, there is an Interim beta version available athttp://softwares.ranainside.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738I would advise trying that beta and see if that helps with the FPS Issue.

I'm getting the same FPS problems regardless of whatever aircraft I am flying. Also using fs autostart but I converted my map files to .gif format as Matt Fox suggested. I also am using 2 monitors off of one video card. Systems specs areP4 2.8 at 3.11 Gig Pc3200 ramXFX 6600 GT Will try your beta version and see how it goes. Should the images be converted back to .jpg or left in .gif?Maurice

Guest rana

Hi Maurice,my spec is a bit lower than yours. P4 2.2GHz, 1GB RamBus PC400 c**p, Nvidia FX5600. I use the mapLauncher on second monitor in full-screen mode. Even with the new ai label testing in progress, I can't say I have noticed any frame rate hits even in heathrow. Try the beta, with and without AI traffic to see if that makes any changes.jpegs due to the compression method takes more ram and cpu to deflate in memory compare to gif. Personally I think 8bit BMP should work best if Hard drive space is not an issue.Please drop a line in my forum if the beta worked.

Guest KFD

Rana,You replied to me in another strand about using the moving map. Unfortunately I can't use it in full screen mode because it moves half way across the second monitor when I start FS9. Also, any time I cklick on the moving map it shuts FS9 down to the desktop.Would still like to find a way of resizing the electronic keyboard.On the really good side when I use it within the electronic kneeboard I get no frame rate hits and it is an excellent tool. My system is not high end (2.8 GHz, ATI 9600XT. 1Gb Ram. I can use complex aircraft like the Level D 767 and get framerates around 18-27 while using ActiveSky too. Mind you - I keep the add on traffic below 40% but then I'm looking for flying the sim - not looking at other aircraft.Your add on is fantastic.Kev

Rana, I just posted a reply in your forums regarding the beta version. This is for the folks over here to let those with the same problems know that the FPS drop is a lot less than before. Maurice

Guest rana

Hi Kev,you can try FSBrowser - I believe its resizable - you will need to open the kneeboard file in the browser, and that should do the trick. About the moving half-way across .. I think that may happen if the desktop res. is not same as FS res. I have a small macro that changes my display from 1600x1200 to 1200x1024 while in FS, and also swaps my primary monitor. When all three res are same (two monitors + fs), it seems to behave much better. The problem of FS minimizing when Map is clicked will remain.. when I get some time, I will need to write a module to get around it.

Guest KFD

Thanks Rana,I'll look at setting the screen resolution to the FS resolution.Kev

I find similar problems, but dont think its the moving map as much as it is my Reality XP GNS530 GPS. The new RXP bus that runs in the background is a HUGE resource hog. I mean 80-90 pct use. Throw in a big map and the memory use goes nuts. Locks my machine up. I have a gig of memory too. I love the RXP stuff and the moving map, but if forced to choose, I take the RXP because of its functionality. Im not on a top line system, but I know the two apps dont work well together on my box.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg