Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Flightsim Manager reveals loads of errors

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of Flightsim Manager and am aghast to find the number of errors the diagnostic tool has found in my FS installation. Many scenery errors where the scenery number doesn't match the layer ID,literally dozens of effects file missing from various a/c, problems with panels with missing files and gauges.Try it out -- you may be in for a surprise.Barry

EEK!! - I am missing 28 gauges from various a/c -- and what is worse, trawling through Google has not found any of them for me.This programme really is a beauty -- I recommend it to everybody.Barry

Guest allcott

However, FSM does not recognise a `non-standard` FS environment - for example if you habitually remove aircraft from the aircraft folder and `park` them outside FS, then loads of errors get reported. Same with scenery.Before using it the first time, its a good idea to put ALL your aicraft in the aircraft folder in the sim, and ALL the scenery in the appropriate scenery files.The archive function of FSM is really, really good as it is much better than moving the aircraft folder and leaving behind all the other clutter - you can even remove individual aircraft if you wish. I find it a very helpful tool, but like all tools it does require careful handling.Allcott

But-- I have double checked the errors that the programme is reporting - and find that indeed , the gauges reported as being missing are in fact missing -- as are the effects files. I have redownloaded the a/c involved to check that I did not somehow miss installing either the missing gauges or effects , and I find that they are in fact missing from the original download files.As I said, people should have a try of it and they may be surprised at what they find.Barry

an example of where this programme is brilliant ! is the Beechcraft Volpar.The [window 00] section of the panel.cfg file has this line gauge36=flaps, 562,552,63,63BUT - the corresponding [vcockpit 01] section has this line gauge21=flaps 0001, 805,554,88The programme complained about the flaps 001 gauge because no such gauge exists in my gauge folder. I hazard a guess to say that it should simply read flaps instead of flaps 0001Barry

This program reported many bogus errors, like false Aliases and similar, although they are all working perfectly. I think I'll keep managing my FS installation manually, was working till now this way and one thing is true: when things are working, do NOT change it!

i do not use it to fix find arcraft errors as i have hundreds and it finds to many errors to deal with, but i do let it find my scenery errors in particular land class problems which it has done and cured all problems relate to that.

Guest GCBarni

Assuming you have not made a typo, the information in gauge21=flaps 0001,805,554,88 is not exactly the same as the gauge36=flaps, 562,552,63,63 since a comma is missing immediately after flaps and before 0001.In other words, flaps, is not the same as flaps 0001, and this may be part of the problem.As a couple of other responders have noted, the FSM may be picking up unintentional errors as well.

Guest ponyboy

I use FSM soely for the purpose of finding, organizing, and activating my scenery. It is the only program out there that lets you sort your scenery files aphabetically loaded inside FS2004 without actually changing their order. A real time saver over using's FS default scenery manager when you have 100's of add-ons.

Guest ThrottleUp

<<<< This program reported many bogus errors, like false Aliases and similar, although they are all working perfectly. I think I'll keep managing my FS installation manually >>>>>I agree. No offence against the creator or anything, Im just too paranoid!!!!:)

I just used it myself and it found a ton of errors as well, but how do I know these aren't false positives? At any rate, what am I supposed to do about these 345 errors? Just hit the "fix all" button. I am not going to do that, since there is no guarantee that I'm not going to screw up anything in the process. For example, the program reported an error in my installation of Gary Summons' London City airport, which i just bought and installed. I've flown out of there a number of times in the last couple of days and didn't see any problem. Ok, maybe the program detected a missing tree behind Hangar 7, but unless the sim crashes, doesn't load, or I get an in-sim report of an error, I'm just going to leave well enough alone. ricardo

>I just used it myself and it found a ton of errors as well,>but how do I know these aren't false positives? At any rate,>what am I supposed to do about these 345 errors? Just hit the>"fix all" button. I am not going to do that, since there is no>guarantee that I'm not going to screw up anything in the>process. >>For example, the program reported an error in my installation>of Gary Summons' London City airport, which i just bought and>installed. I've flown out of there a number of times in the>last couple of days and didn't see any problem. Ok, maybe the>program detected a missing tree behind Hangar 7, but unless>the sim crashes, doesn't load, or I get an in-sim report of an>error, I'm just going to leave well enough alone. >>ricardoLike any of these kind of programmes , you have to use some thinking matter before doing anything. The programme reported to me that about 12 of my addon sceneries were incorrectly numbered - when I checked out the scenery.cfg file , I found this to be true and corrected them manually using Notepad. I must add that recently I have had some problems with random CTDs , so I don't know whether these scenery errors were the problem.The programme also reports quite a large number of missing gauges in many of my addon a/c -- I have been slowly going through these by looking through the panel.cfg files - and sure enough, the gauges are in fact missing. I have managed to find a number of them so far by searching Google. I also note that there are a large number of sound files reported missing - but I haven't got around to doing a great search for them yet. An example of this is that a number of my addon a/c called for a gear warning sound called KAGEAR.WAV -- I had CAGEAR.WAV in my sound folder but have managed to find the missing file via Google. Apparently the a/c authors have assumed that everybody has KAGEAR.WAV in their sound folder and did not upload it with their a/c. It is not a big deal , but I have been missing out on gear warnings in a number of my a/c without realising it.Barry

Guest Edam

>till now this way and one thing is true: when things are>working, do NOT change it!And THAT is the definitive close to issue. But it makes no difference...people will still fool with a perfectly working sim, and most likely screw it up, regardless.

>an example of where this programme is brilliant ! is the>Beechcraft Volpar.>>The [window 00] section of the panel.cfg file has this line >gauge36=flaps, 562,552,63,63>>BUT - the corresponding [vcockpit 01] section has this line >gauge21=flaps 0001, 805,554,88>>The programme complained about the flaps 001 gauge because no>such gauge exists in my gauge folder. I hazard a guess to say>that it should simply read flaps instead of flaps 0001>>BarryIndeed, the panel.cfg entry should be simply "flaps..."Whenever the same gauge is specified twice in a single panel.cfg (one for 2d and another for VC for example), FS will automatically create a "flaps_0001.gau" file. If you have never loaded the Volpar, then of course that gauge would not exist (yet).Nevertheless, no panel.cfg file should ever explicitly list those "FS generated gaugenames."As an example, it is clear from the filename 690_hghb.altalert_0002.GAU that the basic gauge is loaded three times by the panel.cfg file for some aircraft."Gauge cleaning programs" will report such auto-generated gauges as "unused," prompting the user to "move them" to a backup folder or even to delete them...Of course, the very next time the simpilot loads that particular aircraft, FS will politely autogenerate another copy!!! ;)Knowing something about the peculiarities of the FS gauge system, as well as basic file & folder management is vastly superior to relying on some "one size fits all management program," for this and many other reasons... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator