Sign in to follow this  
JasonHarris

Oculus rift.

Jason,

Do you get tracking judder when flying in DCS? I have yet to find a solution to this problem. I have a smooth frame rate (75Hz) and I know for sure it is not a frame sync issue.

Even though I can't fly it for an extended amount of time due to the judder, I can confirm that the sensation of flight is amazing with a true sense of elevation above the ground, sense that you are really flying through clouds, and that slightly claustrophobic sensation from being in such a tiny cockpit. Even a triple screen setup doesn't come close to conveying these things on the same level. Looking up to find the ground while doing a back loop - quite amazing!

My only concern for X-Plane will be getting a high enough frame rate to hit that magical 75Hz on the rift. I hope the engine is efficient enough for that.

Hoping I'm in the batch of DK2's this week (ordered May 14th in UK) but can't wait to try it out. My F5 key is burnt out already! Have also invested in some sick bags just in case! :blink:

Oddjob,   I do get the judder, it's part of why I can't fly it for too long.  I don't know what framerate I am getting either but running on i5@4.5 + 780ti so it cannot be too far below what is possible.

From what I read DCS currently uses the old sDK and the judder should go after it has been updated.   I assume this is a positional tracking issue and the new sdk properly supports positional tracking with the camera.

I am also a bit sceptical about getting the 75 frames required in x-plane but we will see how it goes.   I guess with the resolution of the rift at the moment we can afford to pull back the settings to help us get there.    I actually thought there was a point in time where I got better fps in plane than I do know.   I have a video on youtube on four monitors getting a framerate that I find harder to get now on a single screen.

On a slightly side note I am tempted to load up p3d as someone released a plugin or coulus support and they are getting 75fps, not at the highest of settings of course.  At the moment it could be the best flight experience with the rift though.

I can't seem to get 75fps in DCS, any suggestions as to settings.  I have a 3770k @4.9ghz and SLI Titans, so I am a bit puzzled.

I use it for the huey at the airport, and even when I decrease the sliders to low I get judder, when I fly away from the airport, it's nice and smooth, but I am more interested in airport operations.

I get a very nice 300 - 500fps in Live for speed which works beautifully.

I too am waiting on native XPX support, I can get 60 fps no problem in most settings, so I think 75 should be doable.

PingPong, as far as I am aware DCS doesn't play so nicely with SLI.   Try turning it off and seeing what happens.

At the moment DCS uses the old SDK so there is judder which is pretty bad.  Not your computers fault there, just waiting for DCS to update.

Ohsirus, the rift has a screen running at 75Hz,  for some of it's technology to work properly you need to match that with your fps.   If the game can't do that then it can seem laggy when you move your head and that is bad for your stomach in VR.

It's buttery smooth at 75 but anything less and your brain is not convinced, it's conflicted and thats when the symptoms of motion sickness come in to play.

Hmmm..So how is XPX going to run at a smooth 75FPS? Dumb down all the settings and low-res?