Sign in to follow this  
mwcorder

Navigating PMDG Documentation, FCOMs, QRH, etc

Has anyone found a good way to jump to desired pages and entries in PMDG documentation PDFs other than scrolling through the hundresds of pages?

I have them loaded via Dropbox on my iPad and have tried various apps to read them such as Good Reader, or Acrobat on my PC. The issue seems to be that they are locked and that there is no Table Of Contents available. Thumbnails are available but no TOC.

I can easily use the TOC to determine where I need to go, but cannot "jump" to that location. I must have missed something.  As an example- I get a cockpit warning and am trying to look it up, find a checklist, or determine a quick course of action for resolution. Whatever I am doing to navigate the manuals takes too long. I assume the problem is me and lack of skill.

Similarly, how do I "search" the avsim forums?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Evidently post Sp1b manuals have a index in the documents, I can't see anything like that,

The search function however, is at the top right corner of the avsim page

Alex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Evidently post Sp1b manuals have a index in the documents, I can't see anything like that,

Open the document.  Click on the bookmark icon on the left side of the screen.  This is, of course, assuming you're using Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Additionally, since so many people seemed to have difficulties locating this function (which was present in the RTM) a table of contents was added in SP1.

Kyle Rodgers

In addition to previously stated options, you could use the CTRL+F (in the PDF reader) function.

Just use it and and type "Chapter 12" or whatever.

Open the document. Click on the bookmark icon on the left side of the screen. This is, of course, assuming you're using Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Additionally, since so many people seemed to have difficulties locating this function (which was present in the RTM) a table of contents was added in SP1.

The 737NGX manuals don't have the index/bookmarks built into the .pdf.

I just checked the FCOM's for the 777 as well and there's no bookmarks/index. This is when viewed with Acrobat 10.1.3. Boeing supplied PDF's include index bookmarks along with clickable TOC's within the document itself.

People aren't having difficulty locating it - it's simply not there. Perhaps you are using a different revision of the manuals than those included w/ the 777 RTM/Accessible from the Ops Center,.

737NGX Manual:

2beda41c-6f88-4491-bb97-d83d3c5f012a_zps

PMDG 777 Manual:

2c3a1c37-3f9e-40ff-ba2d-ec2c9beecdbb_zps

Boeing supplied manual:

0e3d5cf2-0d56-47fb-aed6-ba77a4e99f83_zps

Note the lack of bookmark tab with the PMDG supplied manuals.

The 737NGX manuals don't have the index/bookmarks built into the .pdf.

I just checked the FCOM's for the 777 as well and there's no bookmarks/index. This is when viewed with Acrobat 10.1.3. Boeing supplied PDF's include index bookmarks along with clickable TOC's within the document itself.

People aren't having difficulty locating it - it's simply not there. Perhaps you are using a different revision of the manuals than those included w/ the 777 RTM/Accessible from the Ops Center,.

737NGX Manual:

2beda41c-6f88-4491-bb97-d83d3c5f012a_zps

PMDG 777 Manual:

2c3a1c37-3f9e-40ff-ba2d-ec2c9beecdbb_zps

Boeing supplied manual:

0e3d5cf2-0d56-47fb-aed6-ba77a4e99f83_zps

Note the lack of bookmark tab with the PMDG supplied manuals.

Was referring to the into and tutorials. The Boeing stuff is Boeing's doing. Out of PMDG's control, honestly...

Kyle Rodgers

Was referring to the into and tutorials. The Boeing stuff is Boeing's doing. Out of PMDG's control, honestly...

Ahh K - Fair enough. It's kind of a pity as the FCOMs/QRHs are usually the most difficult to navigate through.

A printed copy is the best of course ;)

I too would like to see bookmarks, but it seems this isn't going to happen anytime soon. In the meantime, make sure you use the index-pages for the manuals and subsequently the indexes for each chapter. With the indexes and using Ctrl+F to search for the Chapter and Section number you'd like, it becomes managable, but not as easily handle as it could've been.