Sign in to follow this  
Arctic Cat ZRT

Uncertain about my future investment!

Hello Avsim,

After over 2 years of longing for a new gaming system I have finally found the right system and now have the funds to afford it. The only issue is that I have to get it with Windows 8.1. For that last few hours I have been looking through this forum and over the internet looking at 8.1 and FSX compatibility. It seems that FSX works on 8.1 if you install it correctly and possibly apply one small file in the FSX directory.

My next question is there are any add-ons that seem to have particular issue with Windows 8. 

I mainly have planes from:

Carenardo

Alabeo

Captain Sim (seems to work well on 8.1 from what others have said)

Iris Simulations

CLS

Virtavia

Aerosoft

Other addon's

REX (seems to work well on 8.1 from what others have said)

UTX

GEX

Accusim (seems to work well on 8.1 from what others have said)

Does anyone have issues with addons from these companies?

Any other tips for 8.1 users?

Thank you for the responses!

-Adam Burnley

Ezdok has definite issues with Win8.

I did see that in my various searches tonight, I personally do not use that utility so I don't need to worry about it.Thanks for the reply though VeryBumpy!

No issues only the occasional game controllers not functional after login but its rare and fixed with reboot,

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Nothing wrong with windows 8

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

Why not grab a copy of windows 7 and do a fresh install?

That was my thought too.

Again, thanks for the input from everyone. I will keep the windows 7 idea as a backup plan if I have major issues with Windows 8.1, the PC comes with 8.1 installed already so I want to try and keep things stock if I can especially since there will be a warranty on it. Right now FSX is the only game that I currently play that doesn't have Windows 8 support. I have continued searching the internet and for the most part it seems that people have had success with some of the planes I run.

Keep up the advice!

I've had Win 8 for a year and a half, and the only problem I had was my CH Yoke and Pedals would disconnect.  I configured them with FSUIPC and have had no disconnects since.  EZDOK, TrackIR, FSX, P3Dv2.3, ASN, just to mention a few, have been working with no problems.

Rod

Rod Beck

It is definitely comforting to hear that people are having success with Windows 8.1, thank you!

Here is my next question, what is the proper procedure for installing FSX onto Windows 8.1(In terms of UAC, location, compatability mode, administator, etc)? I will only have one hard-drive on the computer for now if that helps at all.