Sign in to follow this  
AF330

Rnav navigation

I just don't get this:

Why does it tune each and every VOR?  For the RMI IF WE LOSE FMGS?

Thanks a lot!

Auto tuning is used to update the FMGS with raw data. 

Rob Prest

"Auto tuning is used to update the FMGS with raw data."

So it can be for the RMI, so that it shows where VOR 1 and VOR 2 are, if we would lose FMGS, or for the IRS/INS to help him to find our position, right?

Why does it tune VOR?

Is it for the DDRMI, so that it shows where VOR 1 and VOR 2 are, if we would lose FMGS?

It does that to give us something to look at when we are sitting up there all those long boring hours. The random spinning of the 2 rmi needles mesmerizes and keeps the pilots' minds engaged.

Actually, it tunes vors as the flight progresses in order to use them as a backup for the ins and gps derived position. You don't have to have the rmi show any of what the vor auto tune is doing. It serves no purpose.

Ok, that's also what I had thought! I just hope you are not joking!  :wink:

So we don't even need to enter our VOR frequency during an approach in the FMGS, just for back-up, right?

Ok, that's also what I had thought! I just hope you are not joking!  :wink:

So we don't even need to enter our VOR frequency during an approach in the FMGS, just for back-up, right?

As part of your approach brief you should manually enter any VOR's or NDB's as a cross check/backup.  Someone on the flightdeck should always be backing everything up raw data.

Rob Prest

Thanks a lot!

1) And yes, if both FMGS fails, and you enter VOR 1's frequency and VOR 2's frequency in RMP 1 and RMP 2, and the CRS/TRK, which one will it follow the VOR 1 first, and then VOR 2?

Same question:

If both FMGS fails, and you enter ADF 1 in RMP 1 and VOR 2 in RMP 2, and the CRS, will it go first to ADF 1 and then to VOR 2?

Can an Airbus or Boeing autotune VORs if the GPS and INS systems fail?  Could the remaining systems detect nearby VORs?  Some radio receiver would have to be scanning all possible VOR frequencies.  Not referring to ILS tuning, as the data for that is onboard.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

It does that to give us something to look at when we are sitting up there all those long boring hours. The random spinning of the 2 rmi needles mesmerizes and keeps the pilots' minds engaged.

Would be better if it autotuned reruns of "I Love Lucy." 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

If both FMGS fails, and you enter ADF 1 in RMP 1 and VOR 2 in RMP 2, and the CRS, will it go first to ADF 1 and then to VOR 2?

What do you mean by 'will it go to first'? The aircraft does not automatically follow the signals

Rob Prest

Yes, we follow it. But why even do we tune it? So that it shows us how we are placed with that VOR, isn't it?

Yes, we follow it. But why even do we tune it? So that it shows us how we are placed with that VOR, isn't it?

I would strongly recommend you get the basics nailed first before delving into the world of the FMGS & RNAV etc etc.

Stick to the basics first and learn VOR navigation.  To answer your question, if you did have a dual FMGS failure you will want to go back to good old rose mode,  fly the aircraft raw data manually tuning VOR's or any other aid. 

It really is just common sense if you understand the big picture.  It seems you are only trying to learn the bits you want to learn, this will just cause confusion and hinder your ability to learn things correctly.

Rob Prest

Just checking a photo, I think I am right, the rose vor is the ddrmi, isn't it? If we don't tune the VOR, it won't know which VOR to show to help us! ;) isn't it?

Just checking a photo, I think I am right, the rose vor is the ddrmi, isn't it? If we don't tune the VOR, it won't know which VOR to show to help us! ;) isn't it?

I don't really understand your question.  Just out of curiosity, what are the underlying goals you have in asking about the A330 and GPS/INS navigation?  Are you using a simulation of it or some other advanced aircraft?   Just curious about advanced Airbus navigation?

Your questions show that you understand some things very well, but your knowledge is very uneven.  I urge you to follow Rob's very wise advice.:

I would strongly recommend you get the basics nailed first before delving into the world of the FMGS & RNAV etc etc.

Stick to the basics first and learn VOR navigation. To answer your question, if you did have a dual FMGS failure you will want to go back to good old rose mode and fly the aircraft raw data manually tuning VOR's or any other aid.

It really is just common sense if you understand the big picture. It seems you are only trying to learn the bits you want to learn, this will just cause confusion and hinder your ability to learn things correctly.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Ok, you have lost both FMGS.

My question was: Why do I have to tune a VOR/ NDB frequency??

My answer was:  To know your CRS with the selected VOR.

My question to everyone: Am I right?

This is a general question, C-172, A330...

Thanks