Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

Tako-Off tricks for P-51D

In DCS, with 6 degrees rudder trim you still cannot achieve trimmed out flight once you reduce power and RPM to 46/2700.

EDIT: Actually, I cannot take off DCS P-51 at all with inputs of that guy from A2A forum.

Not sure if this was posted to you or not but I willl

Give it a go. If you follow:the checklist prior to takeoff you will:

First find the rudder trim setting for th P51 and this will help to correct the torque of the engine. This will drastically help you learning how to fly her. a

A2A simulates as close to real:as you can get. Just give it a try and see how it goes.

And don't forget to lock the tail wheel, which is done by pulling the stick back. 

Keep it there until you have good rudder authority, which might be around 80-90 knot IAS, then ease fwd the sitck and steer.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Awesome! Thanks for the vid

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

To be honest, after analyzing that video I was able to consistently perform 61" MP takeoff after about one hour of practice in my DCS P-51D. Something I couldn't achieve in one year!

The problem is you have to feel the forces to be able to understand corrections you apply at take off. Watching rw takeoff from gopro pilot cam is the next best thing you can do.

Great videos LJ!  Thx

I knew the last one ( takeoff ) and has been used by me many times to show that indeed on takeoff / taxi the use of rudder is gentle, not FULL.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Great videos LJ!  Thx

I knew the last one ( takeoff ) and has been used by me many times to show that indeed on takeoff / taxi the use of rudder is gentle, not FULL.

Very careful and subtle throttle and prop adjustments as well.

Back on my sim-pc, flown the P-51D today (nearly 2h, military variant, all by hand). Geez, this thing is addictive and frustrating (cause I suck at it atm) at the same time.

Some more things I came across: As the torque pulls to the left, 6° RIGHT rudder trim, right? How long should the rudder be trimmed that way? Same goes for landing, again rudder trim?

As the RL P-51D pilot wrote at A2A forum, the 6* right rudder trim is supposed to trim out your aircraft at the first, 46/2700, power reduction. Of course, for landing, power setting is much different than for climb, so rudder trim is also different. 

Generally, you should trim whenever you feel aircraft is out of trim.

For the A2A P-51, I set 6* right, 2notches flaps, elevator trim according to rear fuel tank weight, I usually hold brakes, throttle to 30" release brakes, allow aircraft to accelerate, eyes focused on 'peripheral view' of runway edges, as the rudder starts to become effective and tail lifting off, feed in extra power smoothly, at Vr, apply a little back pressure and allow the aircraft to 'fly' itself off.   The important thing is to keep the eyes glued to the runway edges and make small adjustments, especially during the early stages of the takeoff roll.  

With practice you can get in and out of typical GA 2500' runways or so.  

Refer to Dudley's notes too, he is a high time P-51 pilot and CFI, don't be afraid to shoot him a PM too, he is a real helpful guy.

As long as you aren't doing a max range or long cross country flight, never fly with the aft tank full, it causes unfavorable CG and handling.  Same goes for the P-40 too.  You might try the A2A P-40 too, it is 'slightly' more sedate on takeoff.   

Cheers

TJ

My two pence worth

Aim at a cloud over the nose, I find I can react to the nose moving quicker than looking at the triangles of runway that Dudley talks about. Secondly don't move the throttle past 35 inches until you're doing at least 60 knots, you'll have much better rudder authority when the tail comes up and the power comes on. Keep practising

T

Make sure you are using nice big runways with calm weather conditions at first until you really master it.  After you have a real feel for the plane, then work your way into smaller runways.

LOL you could be like a real 'cadet', master the J-3 first, then AT-6 (the freeware FASA T-6 is excellent) , then P-51.

Cheers

TJ