Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

Tako-Off tricks for P-51D

Thanks fort all your input. It was quite awhile since I gave some feedback: It gets better. I found out that with only 3° right rudder trim, the plane feels much better on the runway. It looks like I made the mistake and tried to get the P-51D out of small airstrips with only 3000ft runways at best. Since I went for bigger ones, it´s much better as there´s now enough room for a slow speedup.

And geez, the flight model and the corresponding sounds are just perfect! I made a challenge for descending as fast as possible in the least ammount of time from 5000ft down to approach. That full side slip approach (made that while flying glider regularly) was just awesome with the wind sound corresponding with the slip angle. Great work from  A2A!

Great work from  A2A!

As usual ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020 ! Hands down (all summed up) Best sim ever!!!

Geez, this thing is addictive and frustrating (cause I suck at it atm) at the same time.

Got this bird today and I totaly agree! ;)

I noticed that it's all about well dosed and smooth movement of the controls, dont jerk them around. Also 49" of MP is plenty for take-off. Like the handbook sais: full power is not full throttle. Use the power with moderation and indeed, this is going to be a lot of pratice. But it's an awsome aircraft, making hours on it wont be a problem. :P

Cheers!

Maarten

Really great thread - thanks to all.  I'm new to the P-51 (bought it a while ago but am just getting to grips with it), and have been struggling with the same issues after mostly getting the hang of the A2A Spitfire and P-40.  It occurred to me the other night that I can handle the P-51 takeoff better if I draw on the experience of a year I spent flying little else except the Dodosim Bell 206 - seems to me that in the Mustang you have to be similarly quick but light on the controls and immediately responsive to what torque is doing to the airframe.  Beyond that, I'll apply some of the techniques here and see what happens.  My goal for the moment is to create slightly smaller craters.  Beyond that, we'll see...

These videos from my flight may help,

Thanks, very helpful.

I notice he's less aggressive on the throttle than Kermit Weeks - lets it in more incrementally.

After another day in the P-51D training school I really get a gripe on it now. Immense fun when you master it. I have more problems with the weather ASN throws at me in PNW than with the plane itselfe...

I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned yet, but here's a tip I find handy when taking off in the Mustang;

Below 30" man pressure, torque swing is managed via rudder deflection, and by aileron deflection once accelerating the engine past 30".

It should be noted that the rudder is not centered over 30" man pressure, but rather held where it was when reaching said man pressure - until after safely rotated.  I cannot recall exactly where I read this, although I believe the reason for shifting to aileron deflection over 30" was due to p-factor becoming a bigger influence than torque.  Although I admit I could have this theory memorised very wrongly, the procedure appears to work smoothly for me.

tonska,

p-factor will create mainly yaw, as will gyro precession as you lift the tail. So, both ask for rudder ( right rudder ) only.

torque requires aileron ( right aileron ) and depending on your takeoff speed and flap settings, you may have to use some good deal of it....

While your main gear wheels are on ground, torque can't  rotate that much your aircraft ( CCW , because the prop is running CW ), but it helps compressing your left gear strut and, again, creating yaw to the left, requiring rudder ( right rudder ).

In summary, it's mainly rudder ( right ) that you use during the takeoff run, and if you do not get airborne too soon, maybe just a bit of right aileron.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020 ! Hands down (all summed up) Best sim ever!!!