I am speccing a new computer for use with FS9. I have a lot of addon mesh/terrain/scenery/AI/ and aircraft. My present set up uses about 100 GB of disc space.

I am probably going for an intel i7 4790 processor. My question is will a SSD make a difference to in-game performance ? I understand it will improve initial loading times of the sim (at present takes about 3 minutes), but in-game performance is what I am really interested in.

Any thoughts ?

Peter Schluter

Yes, no performance enhancememt at all. Only fast load time the first time you run FS, sincerely an SSD is too much expensive now a days for use with FS9 FSX or Prepar3D 2.4 but if you can't wait for loading time then go for it

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Appreciate the responses. Looks like I will be keeping it simple with a normal hard drive.

Peter Schluter

For FS9?  Naw I'd keep a 7200rpm hdd.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

SSDs are great for your OS though.

BTW why an i7?  FS doesnt use hyperthreading, save $$ and get an i5.

spacer.png

but in-game performance is what I am really interested in.

As others have said above an SSD will not enhance in-game performance.  However I suggest you investigate Seagate SSHD's,  7200rpm hard drives incorporating a small SSD as cache.  These are only a little more expensive than HDD's yet will speed up the loading times of FS9 to almost the same time as SSD's.  Available in 1, 2 and 4Tb.  IMHO best of both worlds.

As others have said above an SSD will not enhance in-game performance. However I suggest you investigate Seagate SSHD's, 7200rpm hard drives incorporating a small SSD as cache. These are only a little more expensive than HDD's yet will speed up the loading times of FS9 to almost the same time as SSD's. Available in 1, 2 and 4Tb. IMHO best of both worlds.

Wow, thanks for this suggestion, I didn't know those hd. Can you suggest any particular model?

EDIT: when you talk about load speed up ti,e did you refer in particular only to fs9 or even for FSX and Prepar3D 2.x? My intention infact is to only speed up time for Prepar3D 2.0/FSX.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Can you suggest any particular model?

Seagate ST1000DX001

My intention infact is to only speed up time for Prepar3D 2.0/FSX.

The speed increase comes from the data stored in the cache.  After a short period the Seagate software 'learns' the most used data e.g. opening an application, and thereafter opens that from faster cache memory rather than from disc.  Opening more than one 'prime' application dilutes the effect.  

Thanks so much, do you use it for FSX or Prepar3D?

Riccardo

do you use it for FSX or Prepar3D?

I have one SSHD drive for FS9, another for P3Dv2.  

Although I own FSX I loath it and have not used it since 6 weeks after release.   :angry:

BTW why an i7?  FS doesnt use hyperthreading, save $$ and get an i5.

Actually, the OS or other applications in the background will continue to use logic cores when you run FSX (when the proper affinity mask if used)  and you can even see this in the task manager. This is extra processor load that doesn't end up on the physical cores used by FSX. On top of that, the 4790K has an 8MB cache, but the I5 processors only have a 3GB cache, except for the 4690K which has a 6GB cache.All this combined with a more efficient design most certainly makes a difference in FSX and I'm pretty sure that the majority of us use their PC for more than just FSX, so in other games or applications this difference in performance will show even more.

Peter,

I'm going to buck the trend and say yes, I think it's worth you getting one. Prices are dropping all the time and SSDs are now reasonably priced. If they're recommended for FSX systems why shouldn't they be for FS9 ones?

It won't increase fps in FS9 just as it won't in FSX but the overall loading times are a definite plus. If you get one large enough to take your OS too then you'll appreciate the short booting times.

I'd recommend a Samsung 840 Eco 250Gb. Around 100UKP and probably less in the US.

Just one point. You didn't say what OS you're using. Windows7 I hope. That OS is fine with SSDs whereas XP isn't.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just reporting back. I went for a system with

i7 4790 4GH processor

16GB DDR3 ram

Seagate 7200  2TB hard drive

MSI GEForce GTX770 2GB NVidia graphics card

Windows7 Home Premium (I still had the original installation disc from my old computer)

I have nearly finished installing FS9 and loads of addons. As expected initial load times are the same as I had previously, but in game performance is much better. I have my frames locked at 40, and flying paware aircraft into FlyTampa Kai Tak with lots of AI; Active sky weather ( clouds and poor visibility) I did not see frames drop below 38.

One happy bunny here, thanks for all the advice.

Peter Schluter