Sign in to follow this  
PinkPony

777 Thrust reverse bug still persistent in SP1c

Jason, try pressing F2 on main gear contact then release then press again and hold until engines spool up in REV.... does that work for you?  For me, I only have to tap F2 after touchdown and she goes right into REV after a realistic very short delay. This was something we tested and verified so others having problems with it now could be anything but the original bug that was fixed.

I'll try and report later! thanks for the tip. Let's see if it works in that way

I made a random flight yesterday and worked as soon as the main gear touched the ground. Today I'm going to do another flight, this time using one of my previous flight to see if it will work.

For me it didnt work right today (SP1C).

I had to click F2 three times after touchdown today before REV would finally indicate.

One click should have been enough since the TL were already in Idle.

I will have to try a few more times, but it allmost looked to me like the PMDG777 is waiting for N1 toreduce to below a certain RPM (around 23%) before the REV will activate.

That would explain why sometimes it works for some and other times it does not.

Maybe you guys can try to confirm or unconfirm this?!

Rob Robson

it allmost looked to me like the PMDG777 is waiting for N1 toreduce to below a certain RPM (around 23%) before the REV will activate.

+1  What's your VRef+5 speed for landing?  Mine's usually 153 or 154.

Harry Sung

+1  What's your VRef+5 speed for landing?  Mine's usually 153 or 154.

+1....as in confirmed, or as in you like my post, or as in good (possible) find?

Vref+5 for flaps30 was 142kt.....(B777-200) why?

Rob Robson

Rod,

+1 as in I agree with you.

As my Vref+5 is for flaps25 and higher speed, it takes longer for the aircraft to slow to a minimum for the reverse thrusters to kick in ... just a theory.

Harry Sung

Rod,

+1 as in I agree with you.

As my Vref+5 is for flaps25 and higher speed, it takes longer for the aircraft to slow to a minimum for the reverse thrusters to kick in ... just a theory.

Naaa....Vref speed has nothing to do with engine spool down time.

If anything you will have lower RPM to begin with due to the lower flaps 25 drag versus flaps 30 drag.

But I will be testing my idea by adding a short burst of thrust after touchdown so that N1 spools up again a bit (then TL back to idle). By clicking F2 repeatedly slowly (every 1 sec or so) it should then become clear if a certain N1 RPM is required before reversing becomes possible.

Rob Robson

By clicking F2 repeatedly slowly (every 1 sec or so) it should then become clear if a certain N1 RPM is required before reversing becomes possible.

You're welcome to try but FSX only looks at thrust lever angle to trigger reverse thrust deployment, not N1. I suspect PMDG are modifying the thrust lever angle FSX sees to simulate flight idle and that it is the time it takes to move the lever back to the ground idle position that is the cause of these problems.

You can check this on ground by selecting full thrust, pressing F1 then holding F2. The reverser will deploy long before N1 has reduced to idle.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Yes, I tried a ton of times before take off and had no problem selecting reverse thrust no matter at what RPM N1 still was.

TL must be at idle.....RPM does not seem to matter.

Did two more landings and the on both the left REV did not work right.

Initially both engines go from REV in Amber to Green, but then the left one stows again.

The nose was still up in the air on both landings.

It allways seems to be the left one that stows again.

On both landings the left reverser stowed again while the nose was still in the air!

I must add that I am using a self (re)build B737 throttle so it is possible that something is spyking, giving an idle (F1) signal after the REV have initially deployed.

I will try more landings as I have time with just F2 (not my hardware) to see what happens then.

Rob Robson

I tried a couple more landings.

To make it easier to concentrate on what the reversers do and when...I had the PMDG do autolands.

I used F2 to try and activate the reversers.

The first 4 landings I clicked F2 repeatedly after main gear touchdown and before nose gear touchdown (like 2x per second or so max).

I watched from the outside in spot view.

On each landing it took several F2 clicks before the REV would activate (between 6 and 11 clicks).

And each time that last click that would activate the REV would happen to be at pretty much the same time the nose touched down.

Then I tried two landings where I just held F2 after touchdown (no repeated clicking).

And on those landings the reversers DID open before the nose touched down!

So my conclusion is that the REV do work as they should, but you have to hold F2 down the whole time.

Maybe some of you can try this as well to confirm?

Ps. the other problem I am having, where the left reverser goes from idle fwd thrust to REV (amber), to REV (green) and then back to idle fwd thrust....seems to be a calibration problem since using F2 does not cause this. (still working on that with FSUIPC).

Rob Robson

Yes F2 has to be kept pressed down for reversers to activate. That's how I send commands from saitek throttles via fsuipc

scr_cap_reversers_deployed_before_nosewh

Works fine for me..

yes, for us as well.

But were you clicking F2 a single time, a few times or holding F2 down permanently?

Rob Robson