Sign in to follow this  
joneshth

PMDG website

Hi guys,

I'm hoping to purchase the PMDG 777 from their website today!! However, all the prices are in dollars. When I created my account I said I was from the UK. Why wont the prices show in pounds. Also, if i just buy it now, will I have to pay a conversion rate on top of the 50 odd pounds for the aircrat??

Many thank-can't wait to get this plane!!!

Henry Jones

Also, if i just buy it now, will I have to pay a conversion rate on top of the 50 odd pounds for the aircrat??

Depends on who you're buying through. Most vendors (by 'vendors' here, I mean payment 'vendors' like credit card companies, PayPal, etc) will just take the current conversion rate and adjust it accordingly without any extra fees.

For what it's worth, you can use Google to get an idea of what the end cost will appear as.

Kyle Rodgers

Hello Henry

As somebody who lives in the UK and having bought the complete gamut of offerings from PMDG, yes, it is priced in USD, but if you are using PayPal, like I did, to make the purchases, PayPal will pay PMDG in USD and charge your account in £p at whatever conversion rate, is prevalent at the time and day of making the purchase. There is no additional fee with PayPal. If paying by CC, I reckon it will be pretty much the same with the currency conversion being done at CC account source.

Hope this does not stop you making a wise buy.

As somebody who lives in the UK and having bought the complete gamut of offerings from PMDG [...]

Thanks Rick. As your token sheltered American who rarely has to buy anything in a currency other than USD (even from many online retailers), it's nice to have confirmation from someone with a little more experience in the matter.

Kyle Rodgers

Its the seller that pays the fees not the buyer.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Its the seller that pays the fees not the buyer.

Econ 101: Seller nearly always passes the cost to the buyer somehow...

Kyle Rodgers

Econ 101: Seller nearly always passes the cost to the buyer somehow...

Something like that.....such transfer fees are a nuisance to those of us with tighter belts but I can understand the need for it given how much maintenance and development goes into a business like paypal.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

My credit cards (US and Canadian) have no foreign transaction fees. I couldn't tell you how it works in the UK.

sig01.png

PayPal "adjusts" the exchange rate by about 4% ... so they do charge the buyer (for their service).

Now that is most enlightening, Oliver. Did not know that. So they slyly take their commission, eh, and at 4% too? Would you in your opinion then say that it'd be cheaper using a CC directly or are there more charges there compared to PP?

My credit cards (US and Canadian) have no foreign transaction fees. I couldn't tell you how it works in the UK.

Another angle worth exploring. Hoping Oliver will come up trumps!

CC terms&conditions may vary a lot, but generally speaking CCs should be less expensive to use than PayPal.

Must admit though, I feel safer paying through PP than through a CC on the internet.

Hi Oliver

You more or less answered my own misgivings of CC v PP. Thanks.

CC terms&conditions may vary a lot, but generally speaking CCs should be less expensive to use than PayPal.

Must admit though, I feel safer paying through PP than through a CC on the internet.

I don't know where you are, but in Canada we have zero responsibility on credit cards. I believe it is $50 in the US. Paypal has its own set of rules - I use it only when necessary.

sig01.png