Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

A new experience...

I just arrived in Chitose Airport, Japan which caters to both passenger and military flights and also has a spa. This afforded me the opportunity to watch both triple 7s and F15s touching down while completely naked.

Can anybody beat that?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Maybe not top it, but I just moved into a new place a few months ago that literally feels like I live in the control tower at KDAL. I'm on the 5th floor and my living room, master bedroom and master bathroom all have windows overlooking runway 13L and the closed runway 18. So I can literally plane watch while showering, bathing, sitting on the toilet, laying in bed, having sex, watching tv, or cooking. It's really a cool view and the place is sound proofed pretty well so the noise of the Jets it's too bad.

Once in a while there will be a military jet that stops in transit for fuel. I can always tell when the sound is from one of them because they are so loud. The other day an F-18 was taking off and it was so loud since the exhaust end was almost facing my windows as it took off on 13L.

Anyways, I have always wanted to live somewhere near an airport and now I not only live near one, but am close enough and on a floor high enough that that I can see a lot of what is going on.

It's kind of geeky, but sometimes I even tune liveatc.net on one tablet so I can listen to the activity while I see it out my window and will have flightradar24 up on my other tablet so I can see what is arriving.

It's cool to wake up every morning and look out the window and see these two 727's parked outside and watch the planes taking off while sipping my coffee.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The closest thing to a real life "airplane heaven" experience was when my uncle used to have a nice 2 million dollar home in Long Island NY, Syosset to be exact.

You could see and hear jumbos passing overhead on vectors to KJFK ILS 22l/r.   They had a tendency to arrive real low, even though he as a few miles from the outer marker, and even on otherwise clear weather days.  

It's quite the thrill to be sitting in the hot tub with a corona in one hand on a nice night and watching a 747 pass over head, hearing the engines spooling back and forth.   I can't even explain the feeling, but fellow aviation nuts would understand.   The variety of liveries that arrive at KJFK is something to behold, while I tire of seeing the same ole narrow body Airbuses, EMB-190s and 737s from Southwest, United, and US Airways/American here near KPHL.