Sign in to follow this  
kriggelb

HD vc shadows moving (merged thread)

Hello everybody,

first of all: Thanks a lot, Steve, for your ongoing work with the fixer!

I´ve got a small question, though:

I already went through the manual of the actual version (2.5) and I didn´t find an answer. With shadows enabled (new fsx.cfg line in the display section) and with "hd shadows", "ezdok compatibility" and "force vc walls" ticked I notice a strange issue: When moving my head using trackir the vc shadows move within the cockpit even if the aircraft itself is not moving. This is not really realistic, as shadows are drawn by the light source that shines on an object and not by moving your head inside the cockpit in a non-moving environment. Is there a way to solve this? I already tried unchecking the boxes mentioned above, but that didn't help. It seems as if I turn into the light source myself when using trackir and my head movements have a direct effect on the shadows drawn within the cockpit. That isn`t normal, is it?

Any help is greatly appreciated:-)

Kind regards,

Chris

Christian Baldauf

Hi there was a problem in 2.4 with ezdok but I am not aware of any issues. Doesthe problem occur if you uninstall the libraries and run in basic DX10 - is it true externally is it true for all aircraft or just one.

When using the legacy shadows, it seems like the use of TrackIR/EZCA leads to that viewpoint dependency (moving the head alters the shadows, a lot).

Now, for non legacy shadows, this (EZCA problem?) was solved in 2.4 and especially 2.5, but how can one receive "static" shadows in legacy aircraft?

I don't have EZCA/EZDOK to test with. You could try setting Shadow version in the debug dialog to 4 but I cannot see any difference in the handling.

Will try that and report back, thanks Steve.

Edited. No change.  :mellow:  Here are my settings, just in case. I used the Maddog as testbed.

ZNunW6A.jpg

ZvweiO0.jpg

Ok, not looking good then, does the same thing apply externally, does it apply to all legacy aircraft, does it work without exca? Does it apply without hd shadows?

Hi, Steve. Have to test those things. Will post an update then.

Update.

1) does the same thing apply externally

2) does it apply to all legacy aircraft

3) does it work without exca?

4) Does it apply without hd shadows?

Answers.

1) No.

2) Only have two, the Maddog (jet) and the small DO-27. The latter does not receive any shadows at all, so I can not tell.

3) No (which surprised me).

4) With HD shadows off, the viewpoint dependency is gone and I can use EZCA just fine.

Edited. Posting my #4 shadow settings, just in case.

6XaSBDi.jpg

Ok go into debug and deselect Adaptive HD Zoom - I suspect that this isnt EZDOK at all.

If the Zoom level is too high when HD shadows are selected then you can get strange effect which shadows that move with your eyepoint.

Changing that debug option may improve matters.

Hello Steve,

thanks for the answer!

After some trying I found out that the issue occurs when HD shadows are enabled. So it's possible to get VC shadows that don't move when moving only my head, but then it is not HD and this doesn't look great, unfortunately.

Is there a way to get HD shadows working even when using EZCA and trackir?

Christian Baldauf

try disabling Adaptive HD ZOOM in debug dialog and report back - note this is identical to the thread below I may try and merge them

Reporting back re: disabling HD zoom. Unfortunately, this did not fix the viewpoint dependency issue.

thats a shame - ok set the shadowversion to 3 in debug and report back, do all shadows move or just some of them? can you see a defined shadow of for example a window frame or a yoke - are you seeing shadows orrandom light and dark

If I leave the HD shadows enabled and just alter the settings to shadowversion 3, the view dependency remains.

Note. This is just for legacy aircraft, in case the thread merging suppressed that detail. The normal FSX aircraft and your nice HD shadows work just fine. :smile:

But is it just the maddog - I have no problems with any legacy aircraft and HD shadows and multiple people have reported issues with that particular aircraft.