Sign in to follow this  
Jack_Sawyer

Just bought 737-NGX today & questions.

See page 60 of the Introduction Manual for eyebrow windows. Like Kyle said read the Introduction and do the Tutorials.

Doing it now.  And loving it too.  I have always liked flying smaller planes and have seen a lot of YT's on PMDG but never got into it.  Now however, seeing the detail, I'm sold.  This is one awesome simulation of the real aircraft.  I'm astonished.  Thank you again.  Going to bed soon.

Jack Sawyer

I feel like I remember seeing somewhere that the naked eye cannot decipher between 2048x2048 textures and 4096x4096 ones. 

I feel like I remember seeing somewhere that the naked eye cannot decipher between 2048x2048 textures and 4096x4096 ones. 

So that's what I was originally concerned with regarding the TML setting.  It was 1024 then I set it to 4096.  Still unsure if it will affect VAS globally at 4096.  I would like a definitive answer.  I wonder what others have it set to?

Jack Sawyer

Is there an option somewhere that selects this?

Page 7/11 for the aircraft options. The option listed literally as "EYEBROW WINDOWS: YES/NO."

If AoA or anyone else has it, your plane has it. No need to worry about who has what, honestly. Everyone has the same plane. Hacking into the plane, or otherwise modifying it, is against the license everyone has, so if you see someone with something cool, you can find it in your own plane.

It's all in the intro manual. I promise. Have a second look, and then run the tutorials. All of the questions you've asked here would've been answered without the wait.

Kyle Rodgers

Page 7/11 for the aircraft options. The option listed literally as "EYEBROW WINDOWS: YES/NO."

If AoA or anyone else has it, your plane has it. No need to worry about who has what, honestly. Everyone has the same plane. Hacking into the plane, or otherwise modifying it, is against the license everyone has, so if you see someone with something cool, you can find it in your own plane.

It's all in the intro manual. I promise. Have a second look, and then run the tutorials. All of the questions you've asked here would've been answered without the wait.

Brilliant!  Thanks Kyle.  Time for me to go to be and continue this tomorrow.   Thank you very much, much appreciated.

Jack Sawyer

Now however, seeing the detail, I'm sold.  This is one awesome simulation of the real aircraft.  I'm astonished.  Thank you again.  Going to bed soon.

You're welcome. I'm not too far behind you in that regard. I've been debating staying up to fly the ANZ6 out in real time (obviously sleeping through much of the initial part of the cruise, as would the real crew). Not sure if I'll make it as I'm pretty tired.

Kyle Rodgers

I'm looking for a little help here, as I TRULY can't remember.

Ryan come out saying that the 4096 textures did not affect the NGX itself a week or two after the NGX was initially released? I'm not sure if he reverted back, frankly I really don't know, but that they weren't needed for a high res flight deck is what I remember. I believe he said the Texture Max Load was for Ground textures.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks.

Yeah, he said that the Texture_Max_Load setting only effects scenery objects, and water/clouds textures, maybe ground textures also if someone made a set larger than the stock 1024, but that the Texture_Max_Load setting does not apply to aircraft and that aircraft will always display the largest texture size regardless of what your Texture_Max_Load setting is.

This makes sense because I have always run Texture_Max_Load=1024 and never experienced any blurry VC or external aircraft textures in any of my aircraft that have textures larger than 1024.

Sean Campbell

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ok, so I'll look in the intro.  I have the DAL installed and do not see that darned window.  I was just messing with it.  Here's what just happened.  I quit the flight, went back to the select plane/location etc. menu and tried to load the PMDG 700NGX and I got this:

Invalid Hardware or Driver Detected.

This graphics card does not meet minimum requirements for shader support.  This product requires a geForce 3/Radeon8500 class or better graphics card.  Flight simulator will now exit.

What the heck?  I have a GTX980 and all the latest drivers and the PC is only two weeks old.

I don't understand this message.

Hi jack i use to get this error message when i reload saved 737 NGX flights more than twice

Vernon Howells

Yeah, he said that the Texture_Max_Load setting only effects scenery objects, and water/clouds textures, maybe ground textures also if someone made a set larger than the stock 1024, but that the Texture_Max_Load setting does not apply to aircraft and that aircraft will always display the largest texture size regardless of what your Texture_Max_Load setting is.

This makes sense because I have always run Texture_Max_Load=1024 and never experienced any blurry VC or external aircraft textures in any of my aircraft that have textures larger than 1024.

Sean Campbell

Well I made a test flight from KBOS to KIAD in the B200 from Flight1 as I'm still trying to wrap my head around the NGX. I didn't have any OOM's but I had Manhattan VFR turned off too. Usually I'd get an OOM every time there. But I think I mentioned I have two airports from Flightbeam, KIAD and KSFO and they CAN have 4096 textures but I decided to install them without them and they look fine to me. I guess I'll never understand this texture stuff. 1024? 2048? 4096? Argh.

I did read that the fastest way to bring a system to its knees was to have a lot of AI traffic. I use UT2 as I never fly online. So I lowered the AI levels and so far so good. In thes new system I have only had one OOM and that was because of the above mentioned Manhattan scenery. It's very detailed and looks nice but it's now off.

Hi jack i use to get this error message when i reload saved 737 NGX flights more than twice

Thanks Driver. That's what I figured. I only wonder why it says that particular message when it WAS flying just fine with the card it originally saw! LOL! But that's exactly what I did and got the message so no more loading more than twice.

Good morning all. I have another question. I downloaded some liveries and some had a red asterisk and it said something about it meaning that it would load airline specific equipment. What did they mean by this, interior or exterior, or systems?

Thanks again.

Jack

Jack Sawyer

Changing the texture max load in your fsx.cfg will not affect the aircraft at all. This setting only applies to scenery and the environment outside the aircraft. 

At the top of this thread I describe how PMDG's FAQ or maybe the guide specifically says to change it to 4096. This is curious.

Jack Sawyer

The "4096" setting is mainly the outside "skin" texures of the airplane. And unless you

fly at ultra high resolutions with the video res, you won't really see too much difference

between 1024, 2048, and 4096. Also, if I remember right, every time you shut down

FSX, it reverts the setting from 4096 back down to 1024. So I think you would have to

manually change it to a high setting before each FSX startup to have that high a

setting. I keep mine at the low 1024 stock setting as my puter and video are only so-so,

and being I don't see much difference at the resolution I use, I just leave it there to save

VAS memory load and help avoid OOM's and the dreaded "skeleton" plane problems

which are more prone to happen if you run the high skin resolutions on a so-so box.

You can probably see more difference in the settings if you ran a high res, and zoomed in close to the plane. I don't do that much, so I'd rather run the low textures. Even those

are not too bad up close at the res I run.

If I remember right, this setting doesn't effect the VC. The VC resolution is set using the

PMDG performance manager tool, which has a high and a low setting.  I use high for

the VC textures and model, but use low for the VC displays being on a so-so puter.

The eyebrow windows are only on the older planes.. "real world". The newer planes

don't have them.

And some airlines such as SWA have blocked them off on old planes and have painted

over them.

So no SWA plane has them that I know of, including their oldest planes.

The only plane I run that has them is a pseudo 600 BBJ I run, which I rigged up as an

old plane with eyebrow windows, older Honeywell MCP, etc. Boeing didn't actually make

a 600 BBJ, but I wanted one as I like flying the 600, so I converted an old airliner into

one in my artificial world.. lol

It's the "oldest" plane I run in my NGX fleet.

That's another thing. Only the older planes use the Honeywell MCP. The newer ones

use the Collins.

But you will still see a good number of them in the older planes, including SWA, etc. So user preference on how old you want the plane to be.

Myself, my everyday SWA 700 uses the Collins as I rigged it as a "medium" not so old

plane.

I use the HGS on all mine as I'm spoiled on it being an artificial SWA buoy, who use

them in the real world. The HGS is the best thing since sliced bread me thinks..  :)

Totally spoiled using it.

So I have all my usual planes rigged with it, including the "old" 600 I run.

if I remember right, every time you shut down

FSX, it reverts the setting from 4096 back down to 1024. So I think you would have to

manually change it to a high setting before each FSX startup to have that high a

setting.

FSX does not revert to 1024 on exit and start. It will only revert to 1024 if certain items are changed in FSX Settings. If changes are made in settings, the only way to determine what the value has become is to look in fsx.cfg in the [GRAPHICS] section.

Yep, I think that's right. Mine used to change quite often because I would change scenery

settings with different planes. But I then started leaving it at 1024, and it's been so long that

I forgot that changing settings is what caused it. I can run a lot higher scenery settings on most

planes vs the NGX. If I go too high with it, I'll get OOM's.

Thanks for clarifying that. I have some liveries installed but they don't seem that detailed from outside. They look very plain even with 4096 set in the cfg file. The cockpit looks great though. I have a lot to learn yet, maybe years worth.

Jack Sawyer