Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Polar Flights - how close can you go?

I have not read all this topic but you need an airplane capable of flying at true headings the farther north you go. PMDG has this option. The 777 goes to TRUE automatically from magnetic. Happened to me following a real freighter route that passed near the magnetic pole KLAX-EKCH.

When the INS is active in Concorde (as is the case for the majority of the flight) the navigation mode is TRUE as opposed to MAG. This should ensure a safe passage at high latitudes.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Interesting mgh.  I see you quoted from Wiki.

Here's another one from Wiki:

The angle between the magnetic and the true meridian is the magnetic declination, which is relevant for navigating with a compass.

There's a difference between magnetic declination (the angle between the magnetic and the true meridian) and the magnetic variation  ( the angle made with the horizontal by the earth's magnetic field lines).

Magnetic declination is a horizontal angle: magnetic variation is a vertical angle.

Here's a Google Earth view of my plan. You'd think it was around 20,000nm looking at the map. Actual distance is 3486nm.

Concorde_EFHK-PANC.png

88,400kG of fuel.

V1 161kts

Vr 185kts

V2 206kts.

Cruise FL590.

Estimated flight time 4hr 06m. Helsinki is 11 hours ahead of Anchorage so I'll be landing just under 7 hours before I take-off.

777 pilots read that and weep! :wink:

I'll fly on 23 September so the effect of Earth's tilt is neutralised. Depart 15:00 local; arrive around 08:20.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Good luck and godspeed! Take some screenshots while you're at it, please. :)

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Thanks. I'm sure I can capture a few of interest. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Watch that fuel burn carefully, not a lot of alternate airports up there :)

I understand that the fuel system on the Concorde is quite complex and gives the FE quite a lot to do.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

There's a difference between magnetic declination (the angle between the magnetic and the true meridian) and the magnetic variation  ( the angle made with the horizontal by the earth's magnetic field lines).

Not according to the NOAA (a website you quoted from earlier - just a click over on the top from where you were: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/declination.shtml).

Magnetic declination, sometimes called magnetic variation, is the angle between magnetic north and true north. Declination is considered positive east of true north and negative when west.

Going back to your original statement:

The location of the magnetic north pole isn't a fixed position it's actually moving by about 55 km/year to the north-northwest. Its 2010 position is 84.97°N and 132.35°W - that's quite a distance from true north pole. Also, it's position is of no relevance to navigation.

When one learns to fly, they learn (hopefully) during the cross-country phase how crucial to navigation it is to know the degree of magnetic variation (angle between the two poles - true and magnetic) over the flown route.

Simmerhead gave another important point regarding the magnetic pole(s) and navigation.

I defined my terms correctly.

Try using this US governtment site. This gives  magnetic deviation and the magnetic variation for any latitude and longitude on the same result page.

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/#igrfwmm

For example, it shows London is 51° 29' 16" N and 0° 10' 41" W and gives the magnetic declination as -1° 1' 0" with a 8.5' change/year. The magnetic variation as 66° 26' 13" with  with -0.4' change/year.

...degree of magnetic variation (angle between the two poles - true and magnetic) over the flown route...

Does the compass needle point toward the magnetic pole?

No. The compass points in the directions of the horizontal component of the magnetic field where the compass is located, and not to any single point.

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/faqgeom.shtml#Does_the_compass_needle_point_toward_the_magnetic_pole

Don't burst his bubble Ozzie.

:lol:

I do not think that possible. :P

The magnetic variation as 66° 26' 13" with with -0.4' change/year.

Just had a look...

That says Inclination... not variation...

But... we do get that too in Flying... but we call it "magnetic dip". ^_^

Watch that fuel burn carefully, not a lot of alternate airports up there :)

I understand that the fuel system on the Concorde is quite complex and gives the FE quite a lot to do.

I chose PAFR for the alternate. Unlikely I'll use it. Additional fuel was a concern.

Complex indeed. Fuel is pumped aft during the climb to maintain CoG and forwards in the descent. Fortunately I have a competent VFE to handle that side of things. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

But... we do get that too in Flying... but we call it "magnetic dip"

How do you use it for navigation?

Nice short section on that in the FAA's Instrument Flying Handbook - that can be downloaded from their Handbooks & Manuals page.  See the section in Chapter 5 The Basic Aviation Magnetic Compass.

There's a bit (not a lot) on the mag compass you might find interesting in the Aviation Maintenance Technician Airframe Handbook.

fwiw.

Flight Training (AOPA) puts out a lot of good articles.  Here's a decent one that provides a bit of "hands on" info.  As the writer says in the article, Keep these ground rules in mind. (These aren't just academic minutiae. If your vacuum system fails in instrument meteorological conditions, you're going to be really interested.) What we call "Partial Panel" today is quite interesting stuff. :P

Animal Magnetism

---------------------

I know FSX has a round world - mostly - so I'm curious how close I can get.

Ray,

I know you said "FSX", but I came across this article when looking for a Flight Training article for mgh.  I thought you might be interested in the first couple paragraphs by a very well known (here in the states) aviation writer:

Proficient Pilot: Time to be true?

Departed EFHK 14:30 UT.

Later: Sorry Hammerfest. Just laid a sonic boom over the town. :mellow:

Leaving European airspace. Next land... Alaska in a couple of hours. Sun is very low at 71N.

Later still: 16:17 UT. Just passed 88° 39' N - closest point to Pole. All appears okay but remoteness is very real.

Climb rate is very slow. 100fpm and currently at FL560. As fuel is burnt off it should increase. Passengers enjoying view of curvature of Earth whilst sipping champagne and munching canapes. :BigGrin:

Now I just have to calculate the ToD point. That'll be fun!

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather